Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Re: 1918

Post by TwoXseveN » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:15 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:50 pm
JimVH wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:21 pm
tuttle wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:58 pm
JimVH wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:30 pm
In 1918 none of this was old fashioned.
Frankenstein was
You would argue with a rock, wouldn't you.
In Western PA, we say tree stump. Rocks are used to settle arguments.
quite the warm and inviting atmosphere ya got there.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:41 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:32 am
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:35 pm
Del wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:19 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:07 am
Del wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:56 am
I always knew those historic little hotels and inns I see in most every small town in America were a lie. Built anywhere from the 18 to the early 20th centuries, they're clearly designed, like fossil birds, t o distract us from our faith in God.

Nobody back then knew how to lay bricks, or "devil's building blocks" as they were then known.
Where were you when chuckleheads were insisting that life in the Middle Ages was unsophisticated, primitive, and even savage?
Watching you get your arse kicked.
They made this.

I don't think modernity could manage a long-term, forward-thinking project so grand and beautiful as the Notre Dam Cathedral.

But we sure can kick arses on Twitter!

Cathedral of St. John the Divine in NYC

Begun at the end of the 19th c., construction ongoing.
Doesn’t count though. Episcopalians.
I was wondering what they'd been up too.

Looks pretty nice. (Does it have any gargoyles?)
No gargoyles, to the best of my knowledge. Just Saints.

And angels.

And the Lord.

Years ago, I saw a very inspiring film about the cathedral. It addressed your very concerns - that in modern times we rarely think of anything beyond the immediate present, especially in terms of building anything. The project had been going on for around a century at that time and was expected to continue for at least a century more. Everyone involved in its construction was keenly aware of that. Many were residents of the surrounding neighborhoods (Morningside Heights or Harlem) who had been trained as apprentice stone masons on the project, and who expected this to be their life’s work.

Two ways to look at this, I guess:

A physical manifestation of the lifelong Christian devotion that informed such labor, such projects, centuries ago has been recreated in the present.

Or, such devotion has always been characteristic of the Christian life, whatever the project(s), and its manifestation in the centuries long building of a cathedral is but one expression. Modernity may have its unique problems, but the problem of the human condition was no different a thousand years ago, nor was the grace of God.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Here’s another - built in the 20th c. I was deeply moved by it, every day, on the way to work in high school.
It was begun in 1899 and completed in 1954, so I guess it gets us back to 1918, somewhat.

Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart, Roman Catholic, in Newark, NJ.

My feeling is that we need to be careful about characterizing any but the most fundamental attributes of what it meant or means to be human in any age

The fundamentals remain: the Fall, and Divine Grace. Both present in every age of man.
Beyond that, I’m reluctant to paint all of humanity at any time with too broad a brush.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:50 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:20 pm
My feeling is that we need to be careful about characterizing any but the most fundamental attributes of what it meant or means to be human in any age.

The fundamentals remain: the Fall, and Divine Grace. Both present in every age of man.
Beyond that, I’m reluctant to paint all of humanity at any time with too broad a brush.
You must be new here. You should post a bio. Generalizations and caricatures are our stock and trade. It helps us get quickly to our point without having to consider all the niggling details.

Besides, the Broad Brush™ is Del's favorite tool. He wields it without fear.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:52 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:50 pm
durangopipe wrote:
My feeling is that we need to be careful about characterizing any but the most fundamental attributes of what it meant or means to be human in any age.

You must be new here. You should post a bio. Generalizations and caricatures are our stock and trade. It helps us get quickly to our point without having to consider all the niggling details.

I'll learn. I'll learn.
I'm kinda slow . . .

But eager!

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:40 pm

FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

I'll grant that we can't hold those in the past to present social standards, but that History is vital as long as it exists in the common memory of men. What we leave behind to our heirs , essentially, memories. When those memories are lost or banned----especially the terrible memories which later generations can learn something from---it leaves behind a poverty of immense proportions. That is a crime.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:53 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:40 pm
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

I'll grant that we can't hold those in the past to present social standards, but that History is vital as long as it exists in the common memory of men. What we leave behind to our heirs , essentially, memories. When those memories are lost or banned----especially the terrible memories which later generations can learn something from---it leaves behind a poverty of immense proportions. That is a crime.
Nobody has written that history or the recalling of history isn't vital. The problem is in trying to characterize other times in light of - your words - "present social standards". Trying to label past times as more romantic, or civil, or barbaric, or labeling one generation as the 'greatest generation' is harmless enough in the pub, but if one works to restore those 'better' times than one is playing a fools game. By the same token, it's unwise to think that every generation is progressing up and to the right so that someday we'll reach perfection. Rusty and I discussed this often. Simply knowing more stuff doesn't make us smarter than our ancestors. I think there is a great deal we're doing wrong and I conclude that based not on measuring us against past or future generations, but simply on what we're doing.

Just as it's a bad idea to measure yourself against your Facebook friends who post pictures of their vacations abroad six times a year, it's not really all that productive to compare different era's in human history.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:21 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:53 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:40 pm
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Nobody has written that history or the recalling of history isn't vital. The problem is in trying to characterize other times in light of - your words - "present social standards". Trying to label past times as more romantic, or civil, or barbaric, or labeling one generation as the 'greatest generation' is harmless enough in the pub, but if one works to restore those 'better' times than one is playing a fools game. By the same token, it's unwise to think that every generation is progressing up and to the right so that someday we'll reach perfection. Rusty and I discussed this often. Simply knowing more stuff doesn't make us smarter than our ancestors. I think there is a great deal we're doing wrong and I conclude that based not on measuring us against past or future generations, but simply on what we're doing.

Just as it's a bad idea to measure yourself against your Facebook friends who post pictures of their vacations abroad six times a year, it's not really all that productive to compare different era's in human history.
I find it interesting to compare the hows, whys and wheres, but the greater importence has to do with the memory. That is what is passed down. That memory, good or bad, ugly or beautiful is what remains----much like genetics your ancetors passed down. I'm not proposing trying to romancize nor vilify the past, only to understand it better and grasp any of the beauty which must by it's very existence, point towards the Creator of beauty.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."