Introduction to Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Introduction to Fountain Pens

Post by JimVH » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:12 pm

coco wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:46 pm
For dark browns, I have Noodler's Walnut, which is almost black, and Monteverde Brown Sugar. I can send you samples if you want.
Box pass?

You thought pie was messy.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:48 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:12 pm
coco wrote:
For dark browns, I have Noodler's Walnut, which is almost black, and Monteverde Brown Sugar. I can send you samples if you want.
Box pass?

You thought pie was messy.
I would be up for an ink sample box pass. I would be glad to start it and throw in a tin of tobacco.

If someone ever sends me a pie in the mail, I'm eating it. It doesn't matter how badly the Post Office squishes it.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:54 pm

coco wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:19 am
Alrighty, the paperwork that came with my pen obviously pushes Iroshizuku ink. I've done a little poking around on Amazon, and it appears that the Iroshizuku sells for approximately twice as much as Noodler's, depending on individual color and seller of course. Am I missing something here? I'm looking for a nice dark brown - the Iroshizuku Dark Walnut looks like a great fit, but is $18 for 50ml while the Noodler's Walnut is $16 - 26 (depending on seller) for 3oz.

Is this a quirk of Amazon, or are the Pilot inks just that much more expensive?
Noodlers and Monteverde are among the most affordable per milliliter. Iroshizuku is more expensive, but not as expensive as some others. It isn't necessarily that much better. (Rusty used to have a spreadsheet of price per milliliter for all the different brands.)

So, $10 for 2 oz bottle of Quink for all these years has been a mistake?
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:30 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:54 pm
coco wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Alrighty, the paperwork that came with my pen obviously pushes Iroshizuku ink. I've done a little poking around on Amazon, and it appears that the Iroshizuku sells for approximately twice as much as Noodler's, depending on individual color and seller of course. Am I missing something here? I'm looking for a nice dark brown - the Iroshizuku Dark Walnut looks like a great fit, but is $18 for 50ml while the Noodler's Walnut is $16 - 26 (depending on seller) for 3oz.

Noodlers and Monteverde are among the most affordable per milliliter. Iroshizuku is more expensive, but not as expensive as some others. It isn't necessarily that much better. (Rusty used to have a spreadsheet of price per milliliter for all the different brands.)

So, $10 for 2 oz bottle of Quink for all these years has been a mistake?
Yes, 'cause Amazon has it for $7.19. :wink:

At $7.19, Quink is 12.6 cents/ml. Noodler's is about 13.9 cents/ml, Pilot Iroshizuku is about 37.6 cents/ml, and Caran D'ache is about 66.4 cents/ml.

Any of the above bottles will last you for a really, really long time, and are probably cheap in comparison with buying disposable gel pens. However, they are all quite expensive when you get a five dozen bottles in different colors due to ink aquisition disorder.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:19 pm

coco wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

Heh, I don’t know about samples. I’m really not planning on turning into an ink collector. Sounds like it might be inevitable though. Mainly I only have one pen and don’t want to be changing ink colors all the time. A nice rich brown should look nice in my study journal and still be formal enough for work.

Any idea how many times I should be able to refill my pen with 50ml of ink? Approximately?
Sola Deo Gloria

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:49 pm

For 12 years I wrote a lot, daily with fountain pens, taking long hand notes in court.
I went through about 3 or 4 bottles I think.

Emptying a bottle of ink is a landmark life event almost.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:18 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:19 pm
Any idea how many times I should be able to refill my pen with 50ml of ink? Approximately?
A standard international cartridge converter holds an absolute maximum of 0.86 ml, so a 50 ml bottle would fill it about 58 times, assuming no losses, etc. Like Judge said, a bottle will probably last you more than a week or two.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:40 am

Ok, I’ll admit, I succumbed to the allure of the shiny packaging and the whatnot.

My ink arrived today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:18 pm

I have resisted reading this thread topic....till today. I was sucked into the Fountain Pen usage just after I graduated. I bought a really cheap pen and made lots of mess and decided it wasn't for me. But old school stuff is my weakness...I love classic and I am an equipment guy...the more equipment/tools it takes, the more I could be interested.

I am currently resisting...I have been slowly over the last 6 months de-cluttering...I am resisting... 8O :egor:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Eruannu
Usher
Usher

Post by Eruannu » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:53 pm

Do Engineering drafting pens and brush pens count as fountain pens? If that's the case I entered the pond years ago without realizing it? I used them almost exclusively for drawing for years and occasionally pull them out from time to time.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:01 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:18 pm
I have resisted reading this thread topic....till today. I was sucked into the Fountain Pen usage just after I graduated. I bought a really cheap pen and made lots of mess and decided it wasn't for me. But old school stuff is my weakness...I love classic and I am an equipment guy...the more equipment/tools it takes, the more I could be interested.

I am currently resisting...I have been slowly over the last 6 months de-cluttering...I am resisting... 8O :egor:
It’s just like PAD.
It’s just like FRAD (fly rod acquisition disorder).
It’s just like MFAFBD (must fill another fly box disorder)
It’s just like TAESIMGSD (there’s an empty space in my gun safe disorder)

I hope, pray I recognized the is illness in the early stages and won’t catch a fatal case.

Confession time?
I have three more bottles of ink on the way.

NEVER look at this thread again, BH.
Run now while there’s still time.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:03 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:40 am
Ok, I’ll admit, I succumbed to the allure of the shiny packaging and the whatnot.

My ink arrived today.

Man, that bottle is so pretty I’d be reluctant to open it!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:13 pm

These pens, inks and info are great.

Who wants to be pen pals if I get a pen?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:21 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:13 pm

me

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:43 pm

coco wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:21 pm
Jocose wrote:

me
Me too....oh wait...I am resisting...........
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:54 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:43 pm
coco wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:21 pm
Jocose wrote:

me
Me too....oh wait...I am resisting...........
I would, but I can't read or write.

rgcurrey
Elder
Elder

Post by rgcurrey » Wed May 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Prometheus (4Sevens Flashlights) has a kick starter going for a pretty cool looking fountain pen. I am not getting one (though I have a flashlight from them and they are top notch) as I have a pipe coming down the pike. That said I though you guys might be interested.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/da ... 058bc2cf21
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat May 26, 2018 4:57 am

coco wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:58 am
Great thread idea, Coco. Unfortunately it caused me to spend way too much time on Amazon this morning adding things to my wish list...

I like that Pilot. I'm starting to do a lot more handwriting for my job and currently use the Pilot V5 pens. I do like them, but fountain pens are always fascinating.
Pilot has impressive manufacturing tolerances, even in their cheaper pens. Of course, I'm something of a Japanophile, so I'm biased.
The Pilot Prera is a nice option!

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis