Introduction to Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Introduction to Fountain Pens

Post by durangopipe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:32 pm
coco wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:38 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:10 am
So I have been enjoying my Esterbrock pen...not writing in my hunting journal, but still enjoying the pen. My work partner saw me using it and commented on how much she liked fountain pens, but she only had on old one that didn't work...I needed an idea for a Christmas present for her, so there it was. I ordered a "Set", it is a Parker Urban pen, a bottle of ink, insert tubes of ink and a converter, so it can be used with the ink tubes or with the bottled ink. It came in yesterday and I was stunned at how nice it was...all packaged in a beautiful boxed set and the pen...wow a very nice feel and a solid/quality feel to it.

I got it off Amazon and it was on sale...A very nice set up should you have the need. :)
Nice!

Yup that is it...I didn't expect a "Gift Set" I was thinking just a couple of items in boxes...this is a great gift.
I don’t have the gift set, but I do have a Parker Urban pen. It’s one of my favorites.
A very thoughtful gift, BH.

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:00 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:51 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
coco wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
So I have been enjoying my Esterbrock pen...not writing in my hunting journal, but still enjoying the pen. My work partner saw me using it and commented on how much she liked fountain pens, but she only had on old one that didn't work...I needed an idea for a Christmas present for her, so there it was. I ordered a "Set", it is a Parker Urban pen, a bottle of ink, insert tubes of ink and a converter, so it can be used with the ink tubes or with the bottled ink. It came in yesterday and I was stunned at how nice it was...all packaged in a beautiful boxed set and the pen...wow a very nice feel and a solid/quality feel to it.

I got it off Amazon and it was on sale...A very nice set up should you have the need. :)
Nice!

Yup that is it...I didn't expect a "Gift Set" I was thinking just a couple of items in boxes...this is a great gift.
I don’t have the gift set, but I do have a Parker Urban pen. It’s one of my favorites.

Thanks DP, do you use it with the inserts or do you use the adaptor for the bottled ink?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:14 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:00 am
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:51 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
coco wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:

Nice!

Thanks DP, do you use it with the inserts or do you use the adaptor for the bottled ink?
I use the adapter and bottled ink.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:25 am

Sweet! I was really impressed with the feel/heft of this pen.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:03 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:25 am

After playing around with a lot of inexpensive pens (many were actually pretty nice), I’ve settled on three that I like most: a Pilot Metropolitan, the Parker Urban (yes, BH, very nice heft and “feel” in the hand) and the Montblanc my son gave me.

Not many can afford or justify a really expensive fountain pen (I know I couldn’t), but the early recommendation from Coco for the Metropolitan was right on. I discovered the Urban on my own (when I saw one on sale). And the Montblanc was an utterly unexpected surprise.

What a joy this journey has been ...

And it all began with this thread! Thanks, Coco.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:11 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:03 am
Bloodhound wrote:

After playing around with a lot of inexpensive pens (many were actually pretty nice), I’ve settled on three that I like most: a Pilot Metropolitan, the Parker Urban (yes, BH, very nice heft and “feel” in the hand) and the Montblanc my son gave me.

Not many can afford or justify a really expensive fountain pen (I know I couldn’t), but the early recommendation from Coco for the Metropolitan was right on. I discovered the Urban on my own (when I saw one on sale). And the Montblanc was an utterly unexpected surprise.

I love my Pilot Metro, and am looking at the Parker, it looks very nice. I'd like to get an antique-looking brown ink for use in my journals.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:43 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:11 am
durangopipe wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:

I love my Pilot Metro, and am looking at the Parker, it looks very nice. I'd like to get an antique-looking brown ink for use in my journals.
That will also be my next ink purchase...I have a vintage Esterbrook that I really like, but I may have to get a Parker for me...
Scott ( aka - Thor )

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:20 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:43 am
sweetandsour wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:

That will also be my next ink purchase...I have a vintage Esterbrook that I really like, but I may have to get a Parker for me...
If/when you settle on a brown ink please let me know. That fancy bottle that Gabriel posted a pic of a few posts back looks interesting, but perhaps not exactly what I'm looking for.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:13 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:

If/when you settle on a brown ink please let me know. That fancy bottle that Gabriel posted a pic of a few posts back looks interesting, but perhaps not exactly what I'm looking for.
I have lots of browns, what are you looking for? May be able to recommend one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:00 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:13 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:

I'll know it when I see it I suppose. Seems like you've posted pics of example inks on paper, but Im not sure how to search for it. One with just browns would be appreciated.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:41 pm

I have been looking at Waterman "Absolute Brown" and Pilot "Tsukushi Horsetail Plant (Reddish Brown)"
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:40 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:00 am

I'll know it when I see it I suppose. Seems like you've posted pics of example inks on paper, but Im not sure how to search for it. One with just browns would be appreciated.

This is the brown I'm using in the Metropolitan (Private Reserve Chocolat), Tim, photographed with a mostly neutral but with a very slightly green cast black (Noodler's Zhivago):

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:07 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:40 pm
sweetandsour wrote:

This is the brown I'm using in the Metropolitan (Private Reserve Chocolat), Tim, photographed with a mostly neutral but with a very slightly green cast black (Noodler's Zhivago):

Thanks, that's close. I like the looks of both of those.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:54 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:07 pm
durangopipe wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

I took a picture of a few browns.
I adjusted the colors as closely as I was able, but could not get the picture looking as much like real life as I had hoped. My adjustments also produced some weird artifacts in the small loops caused by antialiasing.
Waterman Absolute Brown is a typical brown. It is well behaved ink, and I like it quite a bit.
Monteverde Brown Sugar is a very dark brown, but is more of a ruddy brown in real life.
Noodler's Walnut is a very dark brown.
The Noodler's Heart of Darkness is a black, and I included it to demonstrate the difference between black and the very dark browns. Both the Brown Sugar and the Walnut look brown when compared to black in real life, but not so much in my picture.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:10 pm

coco wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:54 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:07 pm
durangopipe wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

I took a picture of a few browns.
I adjusted the colors as closely as I was able, but could not get the picture looking as much like real life as I had hoped. My adjustments also produced some weird artifacts in the small loops caused by antialiasing.
Waterman Absolute Brown is a typical brown. It is well behaved ink, and I like it quite a bit.
Monteverde Brown Sugar is a very dark brown, but is more of a ruddy brown in real life.
Noodler's Walnut is a very dark brown.
The Noodler's Heart of Darkness is a black, and I included it to demonstrate the difference between black and the very dark browns. Both the Brown Sugar and the Walnut look brown when compared to black in real life, but not so much in my picture.
Wow! Thanks again. I'm putting together an ink order for Christmas.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:01 am

sweetandsour wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:13 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:

Lemme see what I can dig up

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:29 am

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:38 pm

Thanks for the info on the ink sample set.

Btw, I ordered a bottle of Honus Wagner Infield Brown from Birmingham Pen Co a week or so before Christmas, and after a week or so it apparently still hadn't shipped. I received an email today with an apology for delayed shipping, and a $10 discount for a future order. Hopefully I'll receive the ink soon, so I can check it out.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:26 pm

sweetandsour wrote:Thanks for the info on the ink sample set.

Btw, I ordered a bottle of Honus Wagner Infield Brown from Birmingham Pen Co a week or so before Christmas, and after a week or so it apparently still hadn't shipped. I received an email today with an apology for delayed shipping, and a $10 discount for a future order. Hopefully I'll receive the ink soon, so I can check it out.
Hmm, they must have been inundated over the holidays...

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:19 am

So, some of y'all seem to have collections of ink in the same way some have collections of tobacco. My question is this, isn't it incredibly inconvenient to change ink colors in your pen? Do you just have a pen for each color? I wouldn't mind having a nice black, or other browns, but unless I"m buying more pens to go with them, I'm not seeing the point. What am I missing?

(PS - I'm really loving the Pilot Metropolitan. It is the only pen fountain pen I have, and so far I'm very happy with it.)
Sola Deo Gloria