Introduction to Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Re: Introduction to Fountain Pens

Post by gaining_age » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:11 pm
DRAT...I am here again...OK I have read and re-read the posts. If I decide to do this, I will be doing it for the nostalgia part of it...to write in my hunting journal (at least that is what I am telling myself). So I will not want to get a new fountain pen, but rather a vintage pen. I am guessing the auction site is the best place to start or is there a better option...what brand am I looking for if I was going to keep it around the $50 mark or is that too low?
Depends upon what you want in your vintage pen.

Some gold flexible nib pens have gone way up in the market-- yes, the auction site may be a good place to check.

However, if you want to take a look at Estherbrooks or other steel nibs you should be well below the $50 mark (or half that depending on the auction-- let me check).

Yes.. should be below that. Some $35.00 buy it now show up-- and I'd say those are little high too.

Of note on the Estherbrooks is that you can swap nibs easily-- getting interesting nibs can be a challenge. I think I have 3 Estherbrooks and they have the same nib.

Here's a link on the chart: http://www.snyderfamily.com/current/estienibs.htm

Lots of nice colors and they are a decent lever filler pen.

There are other brands with steel nibs.

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:08 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:40 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
DRAT...I am here again...OK I have read and re-read the posts. If I decide to do this, I will be doing it for the nostalgia part of it...to write in my hunting journal (at least that is what I am telling myself). So I will not want to get a new fountain pen, but rather a vintage pen. I am guessing the auction site is the best place to start or is there a better option...what brand am I looking for if I was going to keep it around the $50 mark or is that too low?

Some gold flexible nib pens have gone way up in the market-- yes, the auction site may be a good place to check.

However, if you want to take a look at Estherbrooks or other steel nibs you should be well below the $50 mark (or half that depending on the auction-- let me check).

Yes.. should be below that. Some $35.00 buy it now show up-- and I'd say those are little high too.

Of note on the Estherbrooks is that you can swap nibs easily-- getting interesting nibs can be a challenge. I think I have 3 Estherbrooks and they have the same nib.

G.
+1 to Esterbrook. They were built to be everyday writers at low price point. They knew what they were doing back then. You can get them for less than $20 on ebay. They have a rubber ink sac in them and over the years they can petrify and crumble. So take that into account. I had recommended Esterbrook to 7formy1911 on anther thread and he got a NIB one but the sac crumbled and fell apart. The ones left to me that were found in Grandad's office worked just fine after a good cleaning, so it's hit and miss I suppose.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Cleon wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:08 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:

G.
+1 to Esterbrook. They were built to be everyday writers at low price point. They knew what they were doing back then. You can get them for less than $20 on ebay. They have a rubber ink sac in them and over the years they can petrify and crumble. So take that into account. I had recommended Esterbrook to 7formy1911 on anther thread and he got a NIB one but the sac crumbled and fell apart. The ones left to me that were found in Grandad's office worked just fine after a good cleaning, so it's hit and miss I suppose.
Repairing/replacing an ink sac is actually quite easy. I've not figured out lever bar replacement well, however.

There have been links in past for stores online about finding various sizes of ink sacs and which sac is appropriate for a given fountain pen. Unfortunately, the fountain pen hospital was my goto and has disappeared. They had nice bottles of shellac, sacs and other accessories for pen repair.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:13 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:03 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:40 am
Ok, I’ll admit, I succumbed to the allure of the shiny packaging and the whatnot.

My ink arrived today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man, that bottle is so pretty I’d be reluctant to open it!
It's a nice bottle. Is that black? Or brown.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:54 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:13 am
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:03 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:40 am
Ok, I’ll admit, I succumbed to the allure of the shiny packaging and the whatnot.

My ink arrived today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man, that bottle is so pretty I’d be reluctant to open it!
It's a nice bottle. Is that black? Or brown.
I use a pilot like that more than any other pen. It's a phenomenal value.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:00 am

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:37 pm
Cleon wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:

G.
Repairing/replacing an ink sac is actually quite easy. I've not figured out lever bar replacement well, however.

There have been links in past for stores online about finding various sizes of ink sacs and which sac is appropriate for a given fountain pen. Unfortunately, the fountain pen hospital was my goto and has disappeared. They had nice bottles of shellac, sacs and other accessories for pen repair.
I've never had to replace an ink sac. I may just have lucked out with the pens I've acquired. I'm all for learning and doing it myself if I can. If I ever need to replace one, I'll give it a try and if it goes badly I'm blaming you. :lol:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:02 am

Cleon wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:00 am
gaining_age wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:37 pm
Cleon wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:

G.

I've never had to replace an ink sac. I may just have lucked out with the pens I've acquired. I'm all for learning and doing it myself if I can. If I ever need to replace one, I'll give it a try and if it goes badly I'm blaming you. :lol:
Fair enough :)

https://www.wellappointeddesk.com/2013/ ... -tutorial/
The 6s of 1st John:

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:33 pm

Where would you find ink sacs and nibs
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:39 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:33 pm
Where would you find ink sacs and nibs
A quick search revealed a few locations:
https://www.vintagepensacsandparts.com/ ... ntain_pens
https://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Fountain-Pen-Sacs.html
https://andersonpens.com/repair-supplies/pen-sacs/
http://www.pendemonium.com/pensacs.htm

Nibs -- for estherbrook? Andersonpens has some and ebay has some (don't overpay).
The 6s of 1st John:

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:16 pm

OK I bid on an Estherbrook. I want a classic look, so I found a black body with silver trim clip and lever. Listing said it is a working pen. I was looking at the Watermans too, but they are more $$ and this is an experiment. So I will be keeping it reasonable...now to order some ink...hey can I get ink at Office Depot or Staples? Oops...I havn't even won the auction yet :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD