The OFG's Sunday Afternoon At The Range

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

The OFG's Sunday Afternoon At The Range

Post by joegoat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:49 pm

I have a deep love of black powder firearms, particularly the cap and ball revolvers. The 1862 Police is the most elegant piece of weaponry designed by Samuel Colt. A five shot, fluted cylinder placed in the frame of the 1849 pocket and fitted with a streamlined, five and a half inch barrel makes this .36 a stunning piece to behold and fire. Produced right before his death, it was the pinnacle of this era in firearms history.

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: The OFG's Sunday Afternoon At The Range

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:31 am

joegoat wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:49 pm
I have a deep love of black powder firearms, particularly the cap and ball revolvers. The 1862 Police is the most elegant piece of weaponry designed by Samuel Colt. A five shot, fluted cylinder placed in the frame of the 1849 pocket and fitted with a streamlined, five and a half inch barrel makes this .36 a stunning piece to behold and fire. Produced right before his death, it was the pinnacle of this era in firearms history.

Old revolvers are just COOL!

Those are beauties and I agree, for some reason Black powder is very very fun to shoot!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 am

They are! I'm a fan. I'd like to get an 1860 someday.
Marshall Tucker Band nailed it with just to hear the sound of their forty four guns
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:56 am

I enjoy black powder, though haven’t done it in years. I grew up a few miles away from where Danial Boone hunted as a boy and where long rifle makers still make flintlock long rifles to this day. I hunted in Pennsylvania’s flintlock season until I left PA over 20 years ago.

I also have a now broken Remington 1858 New Army cap and ball revolver in .44 Cal. I shot it a lot until in broke. The metallurgy on those reproductions were/are problematic. I hear some modern companies have improved on that?

But my next blackpowder guns will likely be an in-line muzzleloader (I’m a hunter) and a double barrel shotgun.

If all cartridge guns were banned, I would be OK.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:14 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:56 am
I enjoy black powder, though haven’t done it in years. I grew up a few miles away from where Danial Boone hunted as a boy and where long rifle makers still make flintlock long rifles to this day. I hunted in Pennsylvania’s flintlock season until I left PA over 20 years ago.

I also have a now broken Remington 1858 New Army cap and ball revolver in .44 Cal. I shot it a lot until in broke. The metallurgy on those reproductions were/are problematic. I hear some modern companies have improved on that?

But my next blackpowder guns will likely be an in-line muzzleloader (I’m a hunter) and a double barrel shotgun.

The farmer I hunted with in Kansas got a side by side black powder hammer gun for Christmas one year.
I had to mark his birds down for him. Between the orange flame and the smoke he couldn’t see whether he’d hit a bird or not!

And the lock/ignition time was so long, he had to learn to keep swinging long after he pulled the trigger.
It was fun to watch, but I fear this old dog would hate to give up his shotshells.

Him too . . .
The black powder shotgun ended up on the wall next season.

But I can certainly see the attraction to the challenge.
And there’s a part of me that occasionally lusts after a fine, old hammer gun.
Last edited by durangopipe on Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:51 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:14 pm
Thunktank wrote:

The farmer I hunted with in Kansas got a side by side black powder hammer gun for Christmas one year.
I had to mark his birds down for him. Between the orange flame and the smoke he couldn’t see whether he’d hit a bird or not!

And the lock/ignition time was so long, he had to learn to keep swinging long after he pulled the trigger.
It was fun to watch, but I fear this old dog would hate to give up his shotshells.
And now we know the real reason why bird hunting became so social! :lol:
Him to . . .
The black powder shotgun ended up on the wall next season.

But I can certainly see the attraction to the challenge.
And there’s a part of me that occasionally lusts after a fine, old hammer gun.
I can see that hits could be hard to identify at times. That threw me once on a deer and a couple of ground hogs and squirrels I shot at with patched round balls. I guess it’s just part of game sometimes. I hunt with a longbow once in a while even though it usually is a range toy, left at home during the hunt when the compound bow comes out to play. So few chances at game. At the same time, and I’m certain you’ve been here too, it isn’t what is harvested so much as how. There’s a time for all of it. I ain’t getting rid of my shells. :wink:

I have also drooled over hammer guns. Especially in 16 bore. I reload and know how to reload low pressure loads. Then again we can always fill shells with black powder. :lol:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:19 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:31 am
joegoat wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Old revolvers are just COOL!

Those are beauties and I agree, for some reason Black powder is very very fun to shoot!
I must admit, the picture is borrowed for illustration. I only own a repro. Originals are out of my price range. I do have the Starr DA that my ancestor carried during the Civil War. It was one of the first double/single action revolvers and was also a top break to swap out cylinders quickly. Its condition is a bit too degraded to ever shoot again, but they do make repros of them. Perhaps someday I'll fire a facsimile thereof.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:27 pm

The Ruger Old Army series is a strong gun. Ruger over built every gun they ever made. They have gotten pricey. I have a couple of single action modern revolvers...maybe next I'll get a blacvk powder again. Lots of fun to load and shoot...like combining reloading and shooting at the same time.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:34 pm

Thunktank wrote:

The metallurgy in the repros is often better than the originals, but not up to modern smokeless powder firearm standards. Original guns were often made of wrought iron or an early steel alloy. Repros are made with modern steels even if they are softer than the steels used in modern guns. The repros can take a lifetime of black powder loads, but one of smokeless powder will more than likely, still leave you with a hand grenade. Some original models are even more rare now because many of them blew up due to poor metallurgy. The Colt Walker and Spiller and Burr come to mind. The brass frames are usually the only exception to this. The repros use mostly pure brass. The originals often used a slightly harder alloy that looked like brass.
Spare parts are available, especially for the common models, such as the 1858. You should get the old girl back in action.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:49 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:27 pm
The Ruger Old Army series is a strong gun. Ruger over built every gun they ever made. They have gotten pricey. I have a couple of single action modern revolvers...maybe next I'll get a blacvk powder again. Lots of fun to load and shoot...like combining reloading and shooting at the same time.
I've heard, though I don't know how true, that Ruger tested the Old Army with smokeless powder to maximize the strength of the design. They have never claimed it to be safe with smokeless and I wouldn't dare try it, but I don't doubt them to be the best of the best when it come to cap and ball revolvers. The Old Army looks alot like a Whitney Revolver to me. The frame is a bit more Remington 1858, but the loading lever and cylinder pin assembly is taken from the Whitney.
Building a load is tons of fun! Casting the lead is another element that adds even more enjoyment to the experience. I typically roll paper cartridges to make things a bit less messy once I find what the guns like.
Yes, black powder shooting is more work, but it is well worth it.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:16 pm

joegoat wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:34 pm
Thunktank wrote:

The metallurgy in the repros is often better than the originals, but not up to modern smokeless powder firearm standards. Original guns were often made of wrought iron or an early steel alloy. Repros are made with modern steels even if they are softer than the steels used in modern guns. The repros can take a lifetime of black powder loads, but one of smokeless powder will more than likely, still leave you with a hand grenade. Some original models are even more rare now because many of them blew up due to poor metallurgy. The Colt Walker and Spiller and Burr come to mind. The brass frames are usually the only exception to this. The repros use mostly pure brass. The originals often used a slightly harder alloy that looked like brass.
Spare parts are available, especially for the common models, such as the 1858. You should get the old girl back in action.
The problem I had was a broken part. I don't remember if it was made of pot metal or not. I should dig it out and see what the problem was. I remember looking for parts to no avail. I have everything else I need to shoot it. If I can find a replacement for that broken part I'm good to go.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:15 pm

So does your 1862 shoot high of POA?

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:45 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:15 pm
So does your 1862 shoot high of POA?
Yup. About 6 inches at 25 yards. Every cap and ball gun I have shoots a high. Supposedly, even the original guns shot high because they were sighted in for longer ranges. I have no idea why, it would be interesting to research the thinking behind that. If I can get a decent group on paper at 25 yards, I'm happy.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pm

GLOCK=PERFECTION
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:26 am

Jocose wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pm
GLOCK=PERFECTION
I'd bet my life on the fact that they'll work. I usually carry either a 26 or a 19. I admire the design for its simplicity, but beyond that they're nothing special. There are lots of other guns in this world with wonderful records of reliability and a bit of elegance.

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:39 pm

joegoat wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:26 am
Jocose wrote:
GLOCK=PERFECTION
I'd bet my life on the fact that they'll work. I usually carry either a 26 or a 19. I admire the design for its simplicity, but beyond that they're nothing special. There are lots of other guns in this world with wonderful records of reliability and a bit of elegance.
Ditto, though I love the 19.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

I've heard microwaved tobacco gets better if you wrap it in foil before you heat it up. - ryland

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:00 pm

joegoat wrote:
Jocose wrote:
GLOCK=PERFECTION
Yeah, guns such as double action deeply blued revolvers like the S&W Model 10. :D

Revolvers are coming back in vogue in California. :dance:

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:00 pm
joegoat wrote:
Jocose wrote:
GLOCK=PERFECTION
Yeah, guns such as double action deeply blued revolvers like the S&W Model 10. :D

Which California? :lol:

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:46 pm

Thunktank wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Jocose wrote:
GLOCK=PERFECTION

With the ban on magazines over 10 rounds here in CA, the advantages of semi autos is diminished a wee bit.
Of course bad guys don't play fair :facepalm:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:16 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:46 pm
Thunktank wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Jocose wrote:
GLOCK=PERFECTION

With the ban on magazines over 10 rounds here in CA, the advantages of semi autos is diminished a wee bit.
Of course bad guys don't play fair :facepalm:
I never needed 10 rounds to hit my target to begin with. :wink: