A different side to the OFG's Great War

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

A different side to the OFG's Great War

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:54 pm

In Europe, troops were succumbing to machine guns and gas attacks, but in the US more service men and civilians were succumbing to the influenza pandemic.
Here's a gallery I just came across at The Weather Channel while researching the current polar freeze.
Enjoy!
https://weather.com/health/cold-flu/...mic-in-history
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: A different side to the OFG's Great War

Post by wosbald » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:33 am

ImageImage

"For this reason, on June 1, 1951 … we did speak of the right of people to migrate, which right is founded in the very nature of land."
— Pope Pius XII, Exsul Familia Nazarethana

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:54 am

I remember my dad talking about entire family's being wiped out by flu. He was in grade school during WW1, and he remembered kids being absent, and then never returning.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:01 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:54 am
I remember my dad talking about entire family's being wiped out by flu. He was in grade school during WW1, and he remembered kids being absent, and then never returning.
This is true. My dad lost family, including a siblings. This pandemic is something that isn't talked about much. I wonder why?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH