The Knife of Man's Desiring

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Post Reply
User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 28709
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: The Knife of Man's Desiring

Post by Hovannes » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:21 am

Mora steel is near legendary for holding an edge!
DEUS VULT!

User avatar
arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1717
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm
Location: Rural Southern Minnesota

Re: The Knife of Man's Desiring

Post by arank87 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:21 pm

Finally got an OpinelImage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

User avatar
SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend
Posts: 9130
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Cloverdale, IN
Contact:

Re: The Knife of Man's Desiring

Post by SlowToke » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:34 pm

Recently purchased this Hogue X5:
Image

Most I've ever spent on a knife but man is it a well made work of art.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

User avatar
JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Posts: 26621
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The Knife of Man's Desiring

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:44 pm

arank87 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:21 pm
Finally got an OpinelImage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Win. Congratulations.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

User avatar
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California

Re: The Knife of Man's Desiring

Post by Tatanka » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:28 pm

My old Buck has always given me satisfaction when needing it. But the knives pictured here are beautiful.
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 28709
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: The Knife of Man's Desiring

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:50 am

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:44 pm
arank87 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:21 pm
Finally got an OpinelImage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Win. Congratulations.
Yes. Congratulations!
DEUS VULT!

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 28709
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: The Knife of Man's Desiring

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 am

Tatanka wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:28 pm
My old Buck has always given me satisfaction when needing it. But the knives pictured here are beautiful.
There's nothing wrong with an old, well loved Buck! :D
DEUS VULT!

User avatar
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California

Re: The Knife of Man's Desiring

Post by Tatanka » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:46 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 am
Tatanka wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:28 pm
My old Buck has always given me satisfaction when needing it. But the knives pictured here are beautiful.
There's nothing wrong with an old, well loved Buck! :D
I've come so close to ordering a smaller but Bowie-knife style, with sheath....frequently advertized like in my NRA magazine, etc. But realized I would probably never wear it. Outdoor camping days are over. So I just admire the gorgeous knives...but still come close to gifting them to a grandson or two.

But your comment above, which is appreciated, makes me stop and think about the psychological factor involved in me - and I assume many, if not most humans, after years of owning specific "things" - even tools, like my old Buck knife, I have an old grey sweater that has holes developing - - fall into this category of where I (we?) develop an affection for them. I actually feel this every time I slip my Buck knife (and the sweater almost each morning now)...this affection. This warmth. It's a good feeling. But it pulls on my questioning consciousness to ponder this affection for inanimate objects (?). What say you? Any comments?
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

User avatar
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California

Re: The Knife of Man's Desiring

Post by Tatanka » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:47 pm

And this also goes with a pipe or pipes!
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 28709
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: The Knife of Man's Desiring

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:21 pm

Tatanka wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:46 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 am
Tatanka wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:28 pm
My old Buck has always given me satisfaction when needing it. But the knives pictured here are beautiful.
There's nothing wrong with an old, well loved Buck! :D
I've come so close to ordering a smaller but Bowie-knife style, with sheath....frequently advertized like in my NRA magazine, etc. But realized I would probably never wear it. Outdoor camping days are over. So I just admire the gorgeous knives...but still come close to gifting them to a grandson or two.

But your comment above, which is appreciated, makes me stop and think about the psychological factor involved in me - and I assume many, if not most humans, after years of owning specific "things" - even tools, like my old Buck knife, I have an old grey sweater that has holes developing - - fall into this category of where I (we?) develop an affection for them. I actually feel this every time I slip my Buck knife (and the sweater almost each morning now)...this affection. This warmth. It's a good feeling. But it pulls on my questioning consciousness to ponder this affection for inanimate objects (?). What say you? Any comments?
There is nothing wrong I see in appreciating things, as long as we remember they are just things
There's nothing like a favorite old sweater :D
DEUS VULT!

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 28709
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: The Knife of Man's Desiring

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:31 am

When we write the stories of our lives, things become like line illustrations.
A pocket knife tells a story, especially one that's passed down through generations.
I have an Opinel No.8 sort of like that.
Not a hand me down, but purchased new in France over three decades ago. It lives in our picnic basket which was assembled when I first started dating the future Mrs Hov and has sliced fruit and cheese and salami and made countless sandwiches in maybe a hundred scenic and not so scenic places.
I am unapologetically grateful for those times, illustrated to a minor degree by that picnic basket, and that old knife.
The Opinel belongs in that picnic basket.
That ordinary and cheap Opinel no.8 is nothing more than an ordinary and cheap Opinel No.8, but then it is nothing less, either!
If I lost it tomorrow, the line illustration of it remains in my story. :D
► Show Spoiler
DEUS VULT!

Post Reply