Titles

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.

Can we go back to using titles?

Mr./Mrs., of course.
70%
It doesn't matter.
20%
That's Dr. Reverend!
10%

Total votes: 10

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Re: Titles

Post by Goose55 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:28 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:52 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:20 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:15 pm
I am addressed as Lord Jocose.
"Let another man praise thee, and not thine own lips."
That is correct and why other men address me as such.
Yeah. But look at your latest avatar.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:20 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:49 am

Up here my generation seems to be teaching their kids to call adults "Mr/ Mrs first name" instead of last name. "Say hi to Mr Mike, sweety."
That’s a very southern thing and is considered polite and appropriate here.

ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:11 pm

JimVH wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

Up here my generation seems to be teaching their kids to call adults "Mr/ Mrs first name" instead of last name. "Say hi to Mr Mike, sweety."
Ah even worse, we're becoming USAmerican! Image

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:37 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:11 pm
JimVH wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

Ah even worse, we're becoming USAmerican! Image

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
A little Southern could do y'all some good. :)

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:53 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:28 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:52 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:20 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:15 pm
I am addressed as Lord Jocose.
"Let another man praise thee, and not thine own lips."
That is correct and why other men address me as such.
Yeah. Lord Jocose But look at your latest avatar.
Fixed it for you.

:clown:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef

Post by Sir Moose » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:19 am

Siri calls me "Your Excellency." I don't expect it from anybody else.

My Dad once tried to convince my kids to call him "Your Majesty," but it never took.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:08 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:19 am

My Dad once tried to convince my kids to call him "Your Majesty," but it never took.
Back when I had an iPhone I set up siri to call me a slightly inappropriate name that was several words and syllables long.

I crossed my arms during church and somehow the back of my hand pressed the home button and you can guess what happened next.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:19 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:08 pm
Sir Moose wrote:

Back when I had an iPhone I set up siri to call me a slightly inappropriate name that was several words and syllables long.

I crossed my arms during church and somehow the back of my hand pressed the home button and you can guess what happened next.
Is your avatar a real picture of you?
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:27 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:19 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

I believe that the picture is from 1924.

rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:42 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:27 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

I believe that the picture is from 1924.
Wow, didn't realize you were that old.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs

Post by Del » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:30 pm

I need a new title.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef

Post by Sir Moose » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:31 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

It's an old picture of me, but I've lost touch with the guy holding the pike; I hope he's doing okay.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

smokadoro
NOOOOB!!!
NOOOOB!!!

Post by smokadoro » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:43 pm

CodeMonkey wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:44 pm
It doesn't matter to me. If I feel that someone expects me to call them by a title, then I probably won't use it.
Um...
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:32 am
It's all about respect.
Do not say "I agree," "I disagree" or "I suspend judgment" until you can say "I understand." ~Mortimer Adler

TNLawPiper
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:04 pm

Titles at first meeting, formal, professional engagements, and for most elders; first names once we’re familiar or when asked.

If we’re engaging in ongoing business, and we’ve met or conversed before, I assume we’re on a first name basis unless a preference is expressed. I assume we’re treating each other as equals.

For instance, I’m not going to call our company’s CEO—whom I may have met once or twice before but never really gotten to know—by his first name. He’s Mr. [Last Name]. Same goes for the judges I’ve worked for. But I call my boss and older coworkers by their first names.

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:23 am

This thread got me thinking about titles. I always liked nickname titles. When I was a shift supervisor usually the officers and dispatchers that worked on the squad called me by my last name. Sometimes they called me "Loo", or 'tenant. Some called me "boss". If they were upset about something they called me lieutenant. This was to my face. I'm sure there were times that they called me other things amongst themselves.

I usually called my superiors by their rank but there were exceptions. As I aged out, several of the officers that I had supervised were promoted above me. I always called them by their first name among ourselves but by their rank in front of others. It's not only a sign of respect but it also instills respect. Yesterday I went to a retirement ceremony for one of the guys I had worked with. There were also others there that I had worked with prior to my retirement. They still call me by my last name, 'loo or 'tenant.

I retired from that department in 2004 and worked for as a deputy for several years after. I always called my bosses there by their rank and title. I got to know many lawyers over the years and became friends with some of them. I called them by their first names in private and "Mr.' in public. Some became judges and I never call them by their first names not even when I bump into them at a restaurant or something, I always call them "judge".

Using titles is a way to show respect but it can be overdone. I remember that Seinfeld episode when Elaine was dating an orchestra conductor and he made her call him "maestro". LOL.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

CodeMonkey
Beeblebrox's Second Head
Beeblebrox's Second Head

Post by CodeMonkey » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:06 pm

CodeMonkey wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:44 pm
It doesn't matter to me. If I feel that someone expects me to call them by a title, then I probably won't use it.
I guess I need to clarify my statement. If I respect someone I have no problem addressing them by a title. In my daily dealings with people I don’t know, I usually address them by sir or ma’am This includes everyone from the kid working the drive thru to the elderly person I may have occasion to address. What I don’t respond to is someone expecting me to call them by a title because they think they are superior to me.
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:06 am

I once tried to get my children to refer to me as The Major. Once. :facepalm:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:25 am

I get no respect.