Groucho Marx

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Groucho Marx

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:16 am

Groucho Marx on the Dick Cavett show in 1969. He was a real old fashioned gentleman and funny.

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Re: Groucho Marx

Post by FredS » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:12 pm

I've always thought him a crude man. I know I shouldn't judge his era through the lens of modernity, but even in the 60's I thought him so, especially in regards to his on air treatment of women. But I enjoy Don Rickles, Phyllis Diller, and Norm MacDonald so what do I know?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:30 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:12 pm
I've always thought him a crude man. I know I shouldn't judge his era through the lens of modernity, but even in the 60's I thought him so, especially in regards to his on air treatment of women. But I enjoy Don Rickles, Phyllis Diller, and Norm MacDonald so what do I know?
Hey, who can argue with taste? Except for Franzia and Sprite, of course.

I agree that his humor had a bitter tinge and he never hesitated from showing his dislike and that can be prickly, but I frankly enjoy most of his stuff, especially Duck Soup.

One of my own personal favorite funnymen was Don Rickles who's on air persona was as a near-complete jerk. But his best friend was Bob Newhart and everybody spoke of him as the most loyal, loving men in Hollywood.

If you want an interesting read, Marx' son wrote an article for Cigar Aficionado that's still online and paints him in a very amusing light.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:38 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:30 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:12 pm
Hey, who can argue with taste? Except for Franzia and Sprite, of course.

I agree that his humor had a bitter tinge and he never hesitated from showing his dislike and that can be prickly, but I frankly enjoy most of his stuff, especially Duck Soup.

One of my own personal favorite funnymen was Don Rickles who's on air persona was as a near-complete jerk. But his best friend was Bob Newhart and everybody spoke of him as the most loyal, loving men in Hollywood.

If you want an interesting read, Marx' son wrote an article for Cigar Aficionado that's still online and paints him in a very amusing light.
Franzia and Diet Sprite. It turns it into a sparkling wine.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:08 pm

I like Groucho Marx but he was nowhere near as funny as Don rickles or WC Fields. in the case of field and rickles their material was not all that good at just the way they delivered it was so funny
My work here is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing

Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:13 pm

hugodrax wrote:

For those of you too lazy to Google:

You Bet Your Life
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:16 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:13 pm
hugodrax wrote:

For those of you too lazy to Google:

You Bet Your Life
That's gold stuff there. Cigars, pipes, and even a smidgen of Christian humor.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Classic Groucho, roasting Johnny Carson:

"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."