Looking for a good devotional

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Looking for a good devotional

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Got a text message from a friend tonight asking for a devotional recommendation. It was almost embarrassing to reply to him I'm so far out of that circle of info I couldn't give him any better advice than to Google it. Then I thought of you gents. If anyone can give a broad-enough-to-be-mind-numbing list of suggestions, it's you guys. He's a third-chair Christian at best, by his own admission, so he's mostly looking for something to better understand the Bible.

Oh yeah, and this seasoned Christian will also be looking at the suggestions. You know, because he needs it just as bad. :|
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: Looking for a good devotional

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:13 pm

The "A guide to prayer" series is easily my favourite. I've used the one for ministers for 5+ years now. Daily Scripture readings, written prayers, selected readings from Christian writers, etc. and it follows the Church calendar.

This is the 'regular' one. Again, I've enjoyed them all.
https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Prayer-All ... 0835810011

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:18 pm

I'll recommend The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Marywhich is a smaller, lighter version of The Liturgy of the Hours I read it daily as a member of a now suppressed Apostolate and I still treasure that worn little blue book.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:58 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:13 pm
The "A guide to prayer" series is easily my favourite. I've used the one for ministers for 5+ years now. Daily Scripture readings, written prayers, selected readings from Christian writers, etc. and it follows the Church calendar.

This is the 'regular' one. Again, I've enjoyed them all.
https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Prayer-All ... 0835810011

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
I like this one, too (the regular).

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:46 pm

"A Year With C.S, Lewis" is a good one,
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:29 am

Maybe some Oswald Chambers?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:28 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:29 am
Maybe some Oswald Chambers?
Indeed. My Utmost for His Highest.

Also, Morning and Evening by Charles Spurgeon.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:34 pm

What about someone who would like to understand scripture better? (Go to Seminary, right?!) Does anyone have any experience with any particular study/devotional that specifically digs into scripture analytics?
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Morning and Evening is great. A. W. Tozer has some good devotional material - The Knowledge of the Holy has lots of great food for thought.

For understanding the scripture, Wayne Grudem has a decent book called “20 basics every Christian should know” that has been recommended. It’s the simplified version of his Systematic Theology, which, frankly, is great too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/03102559 ... ref=plSrch
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Not devotional books, but these were two of my textbooks from college about interpreting the Bible:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:34 pm
What about someone who would like to understand scripture better? (Go to Seminary, right?!) Does anyone have any experience with any particular study/devotional that specifically digs into scripture analytics?
I still like BibleHub online as it has a wide variety of tools and resources at the fingertips.
I know there are other similar resources.
For daily devotion, it has plenty for me for daily use. If digging deeper for particular writers or topics, the others probably have better recommendations.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:23 am

I like Table Talk. It's a monthly devotional magazine of Ligonier Ministries, the ministry set up by the late R.C. Sproul. This publication was formative for me. Great for old and new Christians alike. R.C. was way good at making difficult things understandable. I like this publication so much that I once bought a subscription for every household in our church. I also like Table Talk because it is a small magazine that you can just leave laying around without much worry and pick it up when you need it.
Tabletalk is a monthly discipleship magazine written by today’s leading theologians and pastors to help Christians grow in the knowledge of God. Daily devotionals make up over half of the content and typically exposit a book of the Bible or a specific topic over the course of the year. A third of the content is themed, dealing with a particular issue, and the rest consists of featured columns addressing a variety of issues ranging from theology to Christian living. The print version is digest-size, formatted to fit neatly into most Bibles and notebooks.
CLICK HERE for a free three month trial. No Rick Roll. No Kidding.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:57 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Psalms: The Prayer Book of the Bible by Dietrich Bonhoeffer is a good one just on Psalms. There are others I could look into if you want a wider range.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Preacher1611
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Preacher1611 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:50 pm

I'm a bit late to this thread but I'd like to throw another vote for My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers. I've been reading this daily around ten years now and find it to be one of the best books I've ever read. I've tried other devotionals, even Spurgeon's (who I love), and nothing compares to My Utmost.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." - Eccl. 12:13

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu May 10, 2018 6:05 pm

All of these ideas are much appreciated. I'll be meeting with my friend next week and will share this thread with me.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu May 10, 2018 7:59 pm

My Utmost for His Highest (Classic Edition): Oswald Chambers
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu May 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Joshoowah wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:57 am
Irish-Dane wrote:
Psalms: The Prayer Book of the Bible by Dietrich Bonhoeffer is a good one just on Psalms. There are others I could look into if you want a wider range.
word
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017