The King of Glory Comes

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

The King of Glory Comes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:59 pm

I am not a fan of contemporary Catholic music and The King of Glory Comes has always been a puzzlement to me even with the snazzy tempo from the Jewish folk song The Promised One.
Until last night when my Communio group read The Angels and Their Mission by Fr Jean Danielou, SJ, and the commentaries on the Ascension offered by Justin, Iranaeus, Athanasius, Origen, St. Paul, St John Chrysostom and Gregory of Nyssa drawing on Phil.2:9-11; Heb. 1:5;2:13;1:3-4; Psalm23:7-10; Acts 1:9;1:10; Eph. 1:20-22 and Isiah 63:1 and other writings came from out of the blue, and the lyricks were imediately recognizable!

The activity of Angels ascending and descending during the Ascension accompanying Christ in his phyically human incarnation into heaven, yet the angels guarding the gates of heaven would not recognize the second person of the Trinity in the human nature he assumed, with the scars of his Passion.

The accompanying angels call out to them:"Lift up your gates and the King of Glory will enter!"

The guardians ask :"Who is this King of Glory?"

"It is the Lord strong and mighty. He is the King of Glory." The angels reply.

Cool, huh?

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Re: The King of Glory Comes

Post by Winton » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:01 pm

There are several versions of this song on youtube. If you could link to a video, please do so.

I love messianic music. Great theology in this song. I enjoy contemporary music. But I don't appreciating singing the same phrase repeatedly.

My favorite songs teach great theology. Many of the Christmas songs and hymns do this well. My favorite hymn is It is Well. I actually had the notes for the phrase "it is well" tattooed on my shoulder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHe_qmo3gX4

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Winton wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:01 pm
There are several versions of this song on youtube. If you could link to a video, please do so.

I love messianic music. Great theology in this song. I enjoy contemporary music. But I don't appreciating singing the same phrase repeatedly.

My favorite songs teach great theology. Many of the Christmas songs and hymns do this well. My favorite hymn is It is Well. I actually had the notes for the phrase "it is well" tattooed on my shoulder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHe_qmo3gX4
Here you go!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tzIxPjz7TE

Winton

Post by Winton » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:58 pm

My wife is from a Lutheran background. She started singing this song. I had never heard it. Thanks