Will Churches Ever Go Back?

For those deep thinkers out there.
User avatar
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms
Posts: 3313
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:37 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:16 am
CodeMonkey wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:24 am
jruegg wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:50 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:16 pm
CodeMonkey wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:56 pm
jruegg wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:53 am
What if there's someone in Fainn's church that needs exactly what the pastor is doing? Who gets what they want? That person? Or Fainn? Being a pastor has always been an incredibly difficult vocation. Speaking from personal experience, I believe it's harder than ever now.
But I thought it was all about me. Could I be mistaken?
You know, Fainn isnt wrong, either. Theres a balance to be struck, right?
That's my point. It's incredibly difficult being a pastor.
I agree whole heartedly with your point. A pastor and his wife are constantly hit with complaints by members pissing and moaning. I pray for my pastor all the time. I try to be very supportive of my pastor. I firmly believe that if you thing your pastor is not doing right, pray for them. If you will spend time in prayer for them, either they will change or you will realize you are wrong. You will then repent and start supporting them.
You crackers crack me up.

There's a giant third possibility in your either-or, you know, which leads to other results.
Not sure but I don't think they're from Georgia or Florida, Yankee Bill.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH
Posts: 23857
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:47 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:37 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:16 am
CodeMonkey wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:24 am
jruegg wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:50 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:16 pm
CodeMonkey wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:56 pm
jruegg wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:53 am
What if there's someone in Fainn's church that needs exactly what the pastor is doing? Who gets what they want? That person? Or Fainn? Being a pastor has always been an incredibly difficult vocation. Speaking from personal experience, I believe it's harder than ever now.
But I thought it was all about me. Could I be mistaken?
You know, Fainn isnt wrong, either. Theres a balance to be struck, right?
That's my point. It's incredibly difficult being a pastor.
I agree whole heartedly with your point. A pastor and his wife are constantly hit with complaints by members pissing and moaning. I pray for my pastor all the time. I try to be very supportive of my pastor. I firmly believe that if you thing your pastor is not doing right, pray for them. If you will spend time in prayer for them, either they will change or you will realize you are wrong. You will then repent and start supporting them.
You crackers crack me up.

There's a giant third possibility in your either-or, you know, which leads to other results.
Not sure but I don't think they're from Georgia or Florida, Yankee Bill.
Hush, rube. You're afraid of 40 degrees. That's shirt-sleeve weather for men. :D
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

User avatar
sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Posts: 13367
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:16 pm

Our church is really trying, but having a really tough time. Covid is rising its' ugly head in this entire area. There's still live streaming for worship, and zoom for Bible study, but it's not the same. Sunday school both f2f and via zoom was cancelled this morning. The associate pastor has Covid, and the pastor is quarantined, so there was a live discussion with a couple of members and another associate pastor streamed this morning for worship. I made a hunt with a grandson this morning and was home in time to watch the livestream.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24878
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by FredS » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:09 am

Be sure to keep up your tithe during these difficult times even especially if you're not gathering in person and even especially if you're not picking up on everything the Pastor is laying down.
Consult your tax advisor for year-end giving strategies.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop
Posts: 16142
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by tuttle » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:05 am

Our church has thankfully been able to remain open during Covidtide. We don't own a building and were renting space adjacent to an old folks home so when this all came down they asked us to vacate which we happily did in order to keep the elderly safe. As it happened sort of last minute we were unable to meet for a couple weeks until we found a place. So far I think we've physically met in 3 or 4 different locations for worship on Sundays.

Masking was initially strongly recommended upon entering the building. Strongly recommended to be removed during worship. But always optional. I'd say 90% don't wear masks. The only drop in our attendance due to Covid has been one family and an elderly lady that has voluntarily sat out, that we keep connected with via Zoom.

We are a smallish group though so it's been pretty easy to stay under the radar (during the earlier county's capacity% caps and current mask mandates) and keep things going. I say it's been easy, but maybe I should qualify that our church hasn't been tempted in the same ways and we've been blessed to be virtually "in one accord" during this. I know that's not the same for others.

All of this really came into focus yesterday. I'm a part of an online group of pastors/worship leaders that I sometimes remember to look at. When I did yesterday I saw a long thread on the topic of what their churches are doing, specifically during worship, with all the regulations, etc. And everyone, save one person, in over a hundred comments, indicated that they either were not meeting in person at all, or that they were meeting with a limited capacity, or that they required masking the entire time, disallow the Supper, and a handful of other various requirements. Many of whom made mention of the fact that they are in areas where they are perfectly free to meet and/or not require masking/distancing, and yet they still do not meet or they require more than the authorities have asked!

I'll save any musings of whether they are right or wrong here. Suffice it to say Shepherds need to lead their sheep the best way they see fit. But after reading through the comments I became so much more thankful for the local body of Christ where the Lord has place me and my family.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
BeefyG
Elder
Elder
Posts: 515
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:04 pm

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by BeefyG » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:04 pm

We’ve been having F2F and live-streaming for Sunday morning and evening services. We are planning on restarting F2F Sunday school on Easter. As the youth teacher, I’m not entirely sure how I feel about it yet but it will be interesting either way. We definitely have people at polar opposites in our church when it comes to masking up.

User avatar
wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President
Lonergan Fan Club President
Posts: 23433
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by wosbald » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:20 pm

+JMJ+
tuttle wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:05 am
Our church has thankfully been able to remain open during Covidtide. …

[…]
My people's liturgical tradition calls it the "Fourth Year of Trumptime".

Image

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 43908
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by Del » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:14 pm

Our parish has grown during the county lock-downs.

Visitors are coming, sometimes from long distances, to attend a reverent Catholic Mass without having to wear masks.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 29123
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by Hovannes » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:50 pm

We're back inside, limited to 25% capacity and no singing according to the Newsom protocols.
Got to wear the masks though, but at least we're inside!
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 43908
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by Del » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:48 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:50 pm
We're back inside, limited to 25% capacity and no singing according to the Newsom protocols.
Got to wear the masks though, but at least we're inside!
I couldn't tell if it was a church.... or a homeless camp.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 12247
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by Gabriel » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:07 pm

We’ve been having regular services since last spring. It is recommended that folks where masks when in the more crowded areas (hallways and such) and consideration of all is encouraged.

We have have grown a bit as people are attracted to Christian fellowship and worship. Many churches in our area are far less open.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof
Posts: 11288
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: University of Mars

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by AFRS » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:34 am

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:50 pm
We're back inside, limited to 25% capacity and no singing according to the Newsom protocols.
Got to wear the masks though, but at least we're inside!
In the mean time This Pastor is in jail for obeying God rather than man. Please note; he's Canadian.

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 29123
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by Hovannes » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:40 am

Things are loosening up around here.
There have been no recent reports of the "Rovers"(units of State Covid restriction enforcers) shuttering places since the growing recall campaign attracted Newsom's attention. :chili:
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

User avatar
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop
Posts: 16142
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by tuttle » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:03 am

AFRS wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:34 am
Hovannes wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:50 pm
We're back inside, limited to 25% capacity and no singing according to the Newsom protocols.
Got to wear the masks though, but at least we're inside!
In the mean time This Pastor is in jail for obeying God rather than man. Please note; he's Canadian.
I've been tracking this. It's insane. Praise God for James Coates and his congregation.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
Cleon
Walmart Cargo Short Model
Walmart Cargo Short Model
Posts: 16067
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by Cleon » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:36 am

We had our first carry in meal in over year after the service this past Sunday. We changed the format a little so that we had servers along the buffet line to fill up plates. We also asked everyone to wear a mask as they went through the line. Come to think of it now, we should have done this a long time ago.
  • We have people that habitually stick their bare hands in the dishes and pick food, so that stopped.
  • We have people that habitually cough and sneeze without covering their mouth. The masks helped since we don't have splatter screens over the buffet line.
  • Clean up was so much easier since people are more messy when they dip their own food.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Posts: 13367
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:53 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:03 am
AFRS wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:34 am
Hovannes wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:50 pm
We're back inside, limited to 25% capacity and no singing according to the Newsom protocols.
Got to wear the masks though, but at least we're inside!
In the mean time This Pastor is in jail for obeying God rather than man. Please note; he's Canadian.
I've been tracking this. It's insane. Praise God for James Coates and his congregation.
Prayers his way, for wisdom, and safety.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

User avatar
AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof
Posts: 11288
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: University of Mars

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by AFRS » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:57 pm

tuttle wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:03 am
AFRS wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:34 am
Hovannes wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:50 pm
We're back inside, limited to 25% capacity and no singing according to the Newsom protocols.
Got to wear the masks though, but at least we're inside!
In the mean time This Pastor is in jail for obeying God rather than man. Please note; he's Canadian.
I've been tracking this. It's insane. Praise God for James Coates and his congregation.
You won't see it on MSM, but there have been ongoing protests outside the detention facility.

User avatar
Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef
Posts: 4459
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington (not Canada)
Contact:

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:19 pm

We added a second service so people could spread out more. The rows of seats were spread out more and people were encouraged to spread out within the rows, but it's all back to normal now. At this point, we are essentially business-as-usual. The main differences are that bulletins, offering, and communion are all self-service. A few people wear masks...very few. I'm not aware of anybody in our congregation who has gotten and/or passed the 'rona.

I saw a nice article on the topic: Six Reasons Every Pastor Should Require Masks and Social Distancing at Church.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

User avatar
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop
Posts: 16142
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by tuttle » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:46 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:19 pm
We added a second service so people could spread out more. The rows of seats were spread out more and people were encouraged to spread out within the rows, but it's all back to normal now. At this point, we are essentially business-as-usual. The main differences are that bulletins, offering, and communion are all self-service. A few people wear masks...very few. I'm not aware of anybody in our congregation who has gotten and/or passed the 'rona.

I saw a nice article on the topic: Six Reasons Every Pastor Should Require Masks and Social Distancing at Church.
That article is great.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof
Posts: 11288
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: University of Mars

Re: Will Churches Ever Go Back?

Post by AFRS » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:27 pm

Pastor Coates released. Should NEVER have been jailed but God has answered prayers....


https://www.jccf.ca/pastor-james-coates ... s-charges/

Post Reply