For those deep thinkers out there.
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Faith in the News

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:43 am

Cleon wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:27 am
I don't know much about Orthodox eschatology. This sounds more like evangelical dispensational stuff al la Left Behind. I'm surprised.
It is really odd. I have only ever seen amillennialism taught in conjunction with the Orthodoxy expressions.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:53 pm

After 24 Years, Scholar Completes 3,000-Page Translation Of The Hebrew Bible
He also changed the wording in Psalm 23 — "thou anointest my head with oil," is what you'll find in the King James translation. "But the Hebrew verb does not mean 'to anoint,' " Alter says. "The word that's actually used by the psalmist means 'to make luxuriant' — something like that. It's a very physical word. So after wrestling with other alternatives ... I ended up saying 'you moisten my head with oil.' "

Alter also tried to imitate the rhythm of the original — which was a challenge because Hebrew is a much more compact language than English.

"Words squeeze together," Alter says. For example, in English it takes three words to say "he saw him." But in Hebrew it takes just one. "You know it's 'he' in the way the verb is conjugated, and then there's a little suffix at the end of the verb that tells you it's 'him.' "

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:55 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:53 pm
He also changed the wording in Psalm 23 — "thou anointest my head with oil," is what you'll find in the King James translation. "But the Hebrew verb does not mean 'to anoint,' " Alter says. "The word that's actually used by the psalmist means 'to make luxuriant' — something like that. It's a very physical word. So after wrestling with other alternatives ... I ended up saying 'you moisten my head with oil.' "

Alter also tried to imitate the rhythm of the original — which was a challenge because Hebrew is a much more compact language than English.

"Words squeeze together," Alter says. For example, in English it takes three words to say "he saw him." But in Hebrew it takes just one. "You know it's 'he' in the way the verb is conjugated, and then there's a little suffix at the end of the verb that tells you it's 'him.' "
Heh. A Jew took out all the "Christological elements" out of the Old Testament.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:22 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:55 pm
UncleBob wrote:

I think he may argue that they were added in later. I don't know if he is Jewish but he is a big name in Religious Studies and he approaches the text from a "non-confessional" approach (which means not from a believer's standpoint). He is known for using literary criticism techniques to analyze the Hebrew Bible.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:56 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:22 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:55 pm
UncleBob wrote:

I think he may argue that they were added in later. I don't know if he is Jewish but he is a big name in Religious Studies and he approaches the text from a "non-confessional" approach (which means not from a believer's standpoint). He is known for using literary criticism techniques to analyze the Hebrew Bible.
Yes, seems a rather solid scholar. He is Jewish, though. I'm not saying anything for or against the man, he's a heck of a scholar. But it's always good to know the background as we all bear the biases of our upbringings.

Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:20 am

I wasn't sure if I wanted to put this here, in 'Cool in the News,' or as an addendum to the Greatest Thinker threads. I decided to go with this one since it's what first drew my attention to this story.

A fairly young man named Chris Harrison put a pretty amazing graphic on his website, (specifically on this page) that depicts all of the cross-references in the Bible. It is an incredible display of the interconnectedness of the Biblical text. Here's the "small" version of the graphic that first caught my attention:

The website also has a Medium Resolution version (2000x1200, 1.4MB) and a High Resolution version (12000x7200, 109MB). (Don't bother if you have a slow internet connection or you're on your phone.)

After being amazed by that, I looked around his website a bit. The guy is apparently brilliant. His "fun projects" are incredible, but his published research...WOW!
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:38 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:20 am
I wasn't sure if I wanted to put this here, in 'Cool in the News,' or as an addendum to the Greatest Thinker threads. I decided to go with this one since it's what first drew my attention to this story.

A fairly young man named Chris Harrison put a pretty amazing graphic on his website, (specifically on this page) that depicts all of the cross-references in the Bible. It is an incredible display of the interconnectedness of the Biblical text. Here's the "small" version of the graphic that first caught my attention:

The website also has a Medium Resolution version (2000x1200, 1.4MB) and a High Resolution version (12000x7200, 109MB). (Don't bother if you have a slow internet connection or you're on your phone.)

After being amazed by that, I looked around his website a bit. The guy is apparently brilliant. His "fun projects" are incredible, but his published research...WOW!
Only just finding this, Moose.
Stunning!

I am particularly moved by the “Alpha and Omega” sense of awe created by the outermost arc that contains, literally and figuratively, “it all.”
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:44 am

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:09 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:44 am
Then there’s this ...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/15/europe/m ... intl-scli/
I met a Baptist once who told me his brother and family were missionaries

IN ITALY!
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:18 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:09 am
durangopipe wrote:
Then there’s this ...

IN ITALY!
:facepalm:

Nice work, if you can get it!
I imagine the living conditions are a little better than in PNG.

Still, for a Baptist, there are all those “heathen” Catholics needing to be saved.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:20 am

durangopipe wrote:
Then there’s this ...

IMO, the exterior architecture looks ethereal. Almost cloud like from a distance.

The interior, on the other hand, looks like a cross between a 1970s Florida hotel and a hospital chapel.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:28 am

Cleon wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:20 am
durangopipe wrote:
Then there’s this ...

IMO, the exterior architecture looks ethereal. Almost cloud like from a distance.

The interior, on the other hand, looks like a cross between a 1970s Florida hotel and a hospital chapel.
American standard LDS architectural style.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:31 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:18 am
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Then there’s this ...

IN ITALY!

Still, for a Baptist, there are all those “heathen” Catholics needing to be saved.
I prefer Mormons, if I have to choose. Their story is so much more believable than the Baptists.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:32 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:31 am
durangopipe wrote:
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Then there’s this ...

IN ITALY!

I prefer Mormons, if I have to choose. Their story is so much more believable than the Baptists.
When they say they don't drink, they really mean it.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:58 am

Cleon wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:32 am
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:31 am
durangopipe wrote:
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Then there’s this ...

IN ITALY!

When they say they don't drink, they really mean it.
Yeah. More intellectually honest, too. It's easier to believe the Mormon's magically found some Egyptian stuff, frankly, than picking one of the 432 varieties of American Baptist on the market today.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:31 pm

The rise of the star-studded, Instagram-friendly evangelical church
This tonal shift within evangelicalism away from the dour restrictions associated with religion and toward the freedom and dynamism of a relationship has been ushered in by this new breed of Instagram-friendly, celebrity-surrounded pastors. But with the spread of Hillsong in America — it now has campuses in New York, New Jersey, Boston, Connecticut, Los Angeles, Orange Country, and San Francisco — we’re starting to see more and more figures like Lentz in paparazzi photos or Instagram posts with celebrities like Bieber. Some of these pastors are themselves the focus of buzz and reality TV, such as Wilkerson’s short-lived Oxygen series Rich in Faith.

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:51 am

This has been popping up on a few christian sites over the last few days but seems to just now be catching the attention of the major news outlets (I'd link to the NY Times article, and I'd like to read it at some point...but paywall).

Hong Kong protesters embrace unexpected Christian anthem: ‘Sing Hallelujah to the Lord’

There's a Christian undercurrent running about the Hong Kong protests. This song has taken off, in English even.

More: The Christian Backstory of Hong Kong’s Pro-Democracy Protests
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis