Faith in the News

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Preacherman
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Location: Truth is - I'm a 'REAL Baptist' no matter where I am!!!!!!!

Post by Preacherman » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:04 pm

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:Extreme Motherhood
Why is that extreme? That article could describe half the families at my parish. I used to date a girl that was one of twelve kids.
Why must you always go off 'half-cocked' like that and attack people... :lol:

Big Families used to be the norm - my Dad came from a Family of 9 - my Mom came from a Family of 12. If a couple can afford to raise many younguns, they really are a blessing - I reckon the move into town from the farms and the economy has had a lot to do with Families becoming smaller and smaller.

The norm where I live is for a couple of folks to shack up long enough to make two babies, then split up, find someone else and make two more, this all continues until about the age of 40 - makes for mixed up, mentally and emotionally disturbed kids - but it keeps folks in a job, passing out welfare checks - think here, 'rats' (not the children, but the sickos that breed em and then don't raise or feed em!!!). If the sheer number of children count, then there are many big groups here - just no 'FAMILIES'!!!

First part of my post is serious, second part was a mere rant, but sadly, every bit as truthful and serious!!!
"Give a man an open Bible, an open mind, a conscience in good working order, and he will have a hard time to keep from being a Baptist." ATR

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:24 pm

UncleBob wrote:Extreme Motherhood
Why is that extreme? That article could describe half the families at my parish. I used to date a girl that was one of twelve kids.
It's "extreme" because the women in question do not to use birth control. They do not abort babies. They stay married to the same man for life. They do not work outside the home. The typical college educated, liberal woman (such as the author of the article) deems it impossible that any woman in her right would choose that lifestyle so these women must be either a) brainwashed by conservative Christian movements or b)submissive to abusive husbands.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:31 pm

Preacherman
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Preacherman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm

UncleBob wrote:Corpus Christi
DEL?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8)

:lol:
"Give a man an open Bible, an open mind, a conscience in good working order, and he will have a hard time to keep from being a Baptist." ATR

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:14 pm

"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:45 pm

Thoth wrote:CofE goes pop.
They just don't get it. <redacted_emoji>

This is wrong in so many ways, but the truth is, that the traditional Anglican worship was but a hybrid service to begin with. You have to have it all, or it simply won't stand.

Interestingly, most of my parishe's converts are people under 30. Not because we have a current worship style, but because we have a timeless worship style. It's good to know that I worship using the same liturgy people have used for 1700 years and that was but a small revision (in order to address various heresies) of what was used before that.

ChildOfGod
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by ChildOfGod » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:12 pm

I'm not really 'about' this sort of thing. I like a traditional Reformed service myself not just as a matter of taste but for deeper reasons.

However... to simply scoff... is that not like being the elder brother from the Parrable of the Prodigal Son? I'm not saying that it is, and I'm certainly not saying that you have, but it seems like there's a danger of being a kind of Pharisee Christian in such matters.
In Christ by Apostolic and Reformed Faith

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:20 pm

There is a popular program of evangelizing to college-age Catholics called "Theology on Tap." I've mentioned it before....

Get an interesting speaker, put a topic of religious interest to young people, gathered in a local pub with a few brewskies. Let the speaker share, and follow with Q&A's.

It is very successful.... it feeds a need common to curious young adults, without confusing worship, leisure, and sacriledge.

I am much more troubled by latte & coffee-bar churches. I would be tempted by a Sunday morning coffee.... but I would be confused, spiritually. I mean.... am I fasting, and preparing to receive Our Lord? Or am I relaxing and listening to a lesson?

There is a season for everything (ask Quoheleth) -- and time for beer is not time for worship.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Del

Post by Del » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:44 pm

ShellBriar wrote:I'm not really 'about' this sort of thing. I like a traditional Reformed service myself not just as a matter of taste but for deeper reasons.

However... to simply scoff... is that not like being the elder brother from the Parrable of the Prodigal Son? I'm not saying that it is, and I'm certainly not saying that you have, but it seems like there's a danger of being a kind of Pharisee Christian in such matters.
There are two paradigms out there... competing for our belief.

Concerning things like holiness, worship, liturgy, and such:

Paradigm 1: Holiness is something that God does for us.
People who believe this insist that worship should be done "as God revealed to us." They want to follow the traditions handed down to us from ancient Christian worship (1 Cor 11:23). They approach worship joyfully, with a receptive spirit of reverence and humility.

Paradigm 2: Holiness is something that we do for God, or something that we make for ourselves. Such a spirit seeks innovative ways to reform the worship, making the worship experience more intense and invigorating. They approach worship joyfully, with energy and exhuberence.

Truth is, both are correct. It works best when each has its proper time and place.

For example, a parish can have Sunday morning for biblical liturgy, with dress-up clothes, appropriate sacred music, and worship.

On Wednesday evening, the youth group can clap to a Praise & Worship band, or college kids can gather to learn a lesson in a pub.

Both are important, and each one is better for being separated from the other.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:47 pm

+JMJ+
It's sacri-licious.™

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Del

Post by Del » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:28 pm

It's sacri-licious.™
:!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :!:

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:34 pm

ShellBriar wrote: However... to simply scoff... is that not like being the elder brother from the Parrable of the Prodigal Son? I'm not saying that it is, and I'm certainly not saying that you have, but it seems like there's a danger of being a kind of Pharisee Christian in such matters.
There is no danger here of being the older brother of the prodigal son. As the issues surrounding the Prodigal Son are quite different than the discussion of correct worship as instituted by Christ and His disciples. And rejecting pop culture "worship services" is not being Pharisitical. Jesus argued against hypocracy within the culture of the scribes and pharasees, not against their rule of worship.

Sure Christians may play nice modern styles of music (within reason) or hang out at a pub and be a living witness and participant in modern culture. Even have fun music and dance in the fellowship hall after some Liturgies at certain times of the year. But "pop" and the continual liturgical life of Christians living within the living traditions of the church leave no room for "pop" in any sort calandered service. It has already been dicided for me when I'll worship and how ages ago. Innovation in these areas is extremely dangerous.

Edit: To keep things in proper light. It is true that I propose very strict and sincere worship methods. But keep in mind that my parish also has DJ's, dance and beer making competions. . . outside the liturgy. And certain times of the year such as fasting seasons this is also put aside for a time and we are encouraged to avoid light hearted conversations following a liturgy in order to maintain a life within the Spirit.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:30 pm

Del wrote:
There is a season for everything (ask Quoheleth) -- and time for beer is not time for worship.
Speak for yourself! I certainly can worship and rejoice in the Spirit while having a beer. If anyone else can not, well, that's their problem. But then I forget the purpose of the theology thread: to inform others why they are wrong.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:32 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
Speak for yourself! I certainly can worship and rejoice in the Spirit while having a beer. If anyone else can not, well, that's their problem. But then I forget the purpose of the theology thread: to inform others why they are wrong.
So can I, but in a different way. :wink:

ChildOfGod

Post by ChildOfGod » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Thunktank wrote:
ShellBriar wrote: However... to simply scoff... is that not like being the elder brother from the Parrable of the Prodigal Son? I'm not saying that it is, and I'm certainly not saying that you have, but it seems like there's a danger of being a kind of Pharisee Christian in such matters.
But "pop" and the continual liturgical life of Christians living within the living traditions of the church leave no room for "pop" in any sort calandered service.
The thing about U2 though, at least some of it, is Christian.

Again, I'm not for it either, but I can see that attracting people who would not go to a traditional service - they simply wouldn't be able to stomach it.
In Christ by Apostolic and Reformed Faith

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:10 pm

Preacherman
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Preacherman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:23 pm

UncleBob wrote:Mary in a Stump
FROM THE ARTICLE wrote:Rathkeale shopkeeper Seamus Hogan is leading a petition drive to deter village authorities from uprooting and removing the stump, as they originally planned to do Wednesday. The petition has more than 2,000 signatures - and White's tree-cutters have gotten the message.
{emphasis mine}

I miss Hichh!!!

Del

Post by Del » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:23 pm

UncleBob wrote:Mary in a Stump
That's kinda cute, actually.

Mexicans are fond of seeing an image of Jesus or Mary in a grilled tortilla.

A few years ago, thousands drove by to see an astounding image of Mary that appeared on a wall below a Chicago overpass, made of crystallized road salt leached from the road above.

Whenever people have real faith.... plenty of natural phenomena tend to remind them of it.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:47 am

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:00 am

I believe hands that help are better than hands that pray.”
Wow, what an ignorant comment...
Sola Deo Gloria