hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Faith in the News

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:24 am

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:05 am
THE RELIGION OF MUGGLES
This broad use of the term “religion” is, like my Aunt Muggle’s comment about my bohemian parents, a gibe or put-down. As such, it can never hope to convince anyone inside the so-called “religion” itself. Generations of graduate students in theology are swept off their feet by the Drama of Atheist Humanism; generations of non-Christian students are entirely unpersuaded by it. None of the dog-owners who take their “kids” to tea-parties at the School for Dogs in Lower Manhattan will ever be made to believe that they are participants in a kind of religion. It’s a bit like Rahner’s term “anonymous Christian”: No one to whom this label is assigned is likely to accept it.
Hail Satan?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:27 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:24 am
UncleBob wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:05 am
THE RELIGION OF MUGGLES
This broad use of the term “religion” is, like my Aunt Muggle’s comment about my bohemian parents, a gibe or put-down. As such, it can never hope to convince anyone inside the so-called “religion” itself. Generations of graduate students in theology are swept off their feet by the Drama of Atheist Humanism; generations of non-Christian students are entirely unpersuaded by it. None of the dog-owners who take their “kids” to tea-parties at the School for Dogs in Lower Manhattan will ever be made to believe that they are participants in a kind of religion. It’s a bit like Rahner’s term “anonymous Christian”: No one to whom this label is assigned is likely to accept it.
Hail Satan?
Close. Hail Stan. Common misconception.

:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:01 am

Greek Orthodox Church Sells Land In Israel, Worrying Both Israelis And Palestinians

"The Greek Orthodox Church calls itself the second-largest landowner in Israel, after the Israeli government.."
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:28 am

+JMJ+
Jocose wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:01 am
Greek Orthodox Church Sells Land In Israel, Worrying Both Israelis And Palestinians

"The Greek Orthodox Church calls itself the second-largest landowner in Israel, after the Israeli government.."
QFJ
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:55 pm

wosbald wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:28 am
+JMJ+
Jocose wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:01 am

QFJ
10-9?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:14 pm

+JMJ+

Franciscans involved in making of ‘The Sultan and the Saint’ documentary
Zack Beyer portrays Egyptian Sultan Malek al-Kamil in a scene from the documentary "The Sultan and the Saint," which premieres Dec. 26 on PBS. (Credit: CNS photo/UPF.)

WASHINGTON, D.C. - A moment in time that has been captured in art has now been captured on film.

The encounter in 1219 between St. Francis of Assisi and Malek al-Kamil, the sultan of Egypt, during yet another flashpoint in the long history of the Crusades - the subject of one famous fresco in Assisi, Italy - has been made into a documentary. “The Sultan and the Saint” will get its nationwide premiere Dec. 26 on PBS (check local listings for dates and times).

Not surprisingly, members of the order St. Francis founded participated in the documentary’s making.

It is the story of the saint leaving Assisi to cross enemy lines and meet with the sultan in Damietta, Egypt, during the Fifth Crusade. The two discussed interfaith conflict, war and the search for peace. …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OOLOD8tQ8U
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:22 pm

Just count what we have already lost, and note how much people fail to realize it. Easy.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:24 pm

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:29 pm

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:42 am

White Christianity is in big trouble. And it’s its own biggest threat.
But perhaps most importantly, white Christians seem unwilling to be guided by the plain truth of our shared faith. Instead of forming judgments about how to live our lives based on how our religious convictions interact with real-life circumstances, we pass off irascible reactions as theological principles. White evangelical Christians like guns, for example, and do not especially like immigrants. Compared to other demographics, we’re excited about the death penalty, indifferent to those who are impoverished or infirm, and blind to racial and gender inequalities. We claim to read the Bible and hear Jesus’ teachings, but we think poor people deserve what they (don’t) get, and the inmates of our prisons deserve, if anything, worse than the horrors they already receive. For believers in a religion whose Scriptures teach compassion, we’re a breathtakingly cruel bunch.
First thought after reading this article: "Ouch." YMMV.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re:

Post by hugodrax » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:57 am

Del wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:43 am
ShellBriar wrote:
Thoth wrote:I thought it would happen sooner than 2050.

News like this depressing.
I know what you mean, but ultimately maybe its not depressing. God can use this too, to awaken people, to the beauty and meaning of Christ. It could lead to a real Christian revival in an apostate part of the world.
We know that Christ's Church will ultimately triumph.

But... we also know that Christianity can become extinct in formerly Christian areas. Turkey, Egypt and Northern Africa used to be entirely Christian.

There is a very real fear that European Christendom will forget itself. Secularization and contraception have dealt mortal blows to European culture.

We shall see if Christianity can rise again there. It has happened before.... as Chesterton noted, "We have a God who knows the way out of the grave."

Meanwhile.... we are looking at a world in which vibrant Protestant Christianity will subside in North America, and vibrant Catholicism in the Southern Hemisphere.
Subside? Abide? Reside?

Sorry, not a quibble. Request for clarification.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Re: Re:

Post by Rusty » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:45 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:57 am
Del wrote:
ShellBriar wrote:

I know what you mean, but ultimately maybe its not depressing. God can use this too, to awaken people, to the beauty and meaning of Christ. It could lead to a real Christian revival in an apostate part of the world.

But... we also know that Christianity can become extinct in formerly Christian areas. Turkey, Egypt and Northern Africa used to be entirely Christian.

There is a very real fear that European Christendom will forget itself. Secularization and contraception have dealt mortal blows to European culture.

We shall see if Christianity can rise again there. It has happened before.... as Chesterton noted, "We have a God who knows the way out of the grave."

Meanwhile.... we are looking at a world in which vibrant Protestant Christianity will subside in North America, and vibrant Catholicism in the Southern Hemisphere.
Subside? Abide? Reside?

A request for clarification on 8 yo propaganda. Curious.
That was well before Pew Research published the US Religious Landscape Survey. If Del had said "we are looking at a world in which vibrant Catholic & Protestant Christianity will subside in North America" we would think he was clairvoyant. If you go forward from 2009 you should find the Pew US Rel. landscape report in this thread. Or....

Over time, Protestant + Catholic = Unaffiliated. You are being assimilated.

It very much appears to be a long term trend.

Last edited by Rusty on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:48 am

This place is like using the world's most effed up telephone. The guy that answers is almost never the one you dialled.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:59 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:48 am
This place is like using the world's most effed up telephone. The guy that answers is almost never the one you dialled.
Yes, it's broadcast rather than point-to-point like most telephone calls. Del isn't prohibited from answering. I think it's interesting comparing his forecast to the surveys from Pew Research.
I'm sure that he still welcomes all Protestants & unaffiliated to Catholicism.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:11 pm

Rusty wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:59 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:48 am
Yes, it's broadcast rather than point-to-point like most telephone calls. Del isn't prohibited from answering. I think it's interesting comparing his forecast to the surveys from Pew Research.
I'm sure that he still welcomes all Protestants & unaffiliated to Catholicism.
Yes, I always did hate party lines. PM for me in future, I guess.

Del

Post by Del » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:15 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
ShellBriar wrote:

Subside? Abide? Reside?

I probably meant "subsist." "Abide" is a better word.

The tradition of American Evangelical Christianity evolved with the American culture. America is its native land. It has secured America strongly as a Christian culture, and it has an uneasy but cooperative relationship with the universal Church.

(Elsewhere in the world, American Evangelicalism is an invasive species. Too American, and not universally Christian.)
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Rusty wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:45 am
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
ShellBriar wrote:

Subside? Abide? Reside?

A request for clarification on 8 yo propaganda. Curious.
That was well before Pew Research published the US Religious Landscape Survey. If Del had said "we are looking at a world in which vibrant Catholic & Protestant Christianity will subside in North America" we would think he was clairvoyant. If you go forward from 2009 you should find the Pew US Rel. landscape report in this thread. Or....

Over time, Protestant + Catholic = Unaffiliated. You are being assimilated.

It very much appears to be a long term trend.

An interesting observation I heard recently which dovetails with this based on James K.A. Smith's "How (Not) To Be secular" is that we are no longer in a post-Christian era but have transition back into a pre-Christian era, with a fundemental education or knowledge of Christianity no longer a given.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:39 pm

Thoth wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:28 pm
An interesting observation I heard recently which dovetails with this based on James K.A. Smith's "How (Not) To Be secular" is that we are no longer in a post-Christian era but have transition back into a pre-Christian era, with a fundemental education or knowledge of Christianity no longer a given.
Oh, they wish. The problem (for folks like Smith) is that people are less educated in theology but more aware as to the dark under belly of Christianity. This is nothing like the lies against Christians in the pre-Christian era that could be defended with evidence. Now the evidence demonstrates those kinds of evils exist.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:31 am

Hey! It's Winter Solstice Day - today! 11:28 am EST. Paint your belly blue. Be careful which direction your blue spiral runs.
I felt kind of bad about Christianity being in decline so let me suggest an alternative that is growing and it's probably pre-christian.

You can start by celebrating Yule. I have a guide to practical matters that you can enjoy too.

Yule Rituals for beginners

This covers prayers, setting up altars, welcoming the return of the sun, etc. Lots here for the whole family. Goats are for later.

They're gonna go nuts at Stonehenge today.

Here, for the abstainers, is a more neutral approach to solstice.
The winter solstice is Thursday: 7 things to know about the shortest day of the year

If you follow the astrologers, as yet a third possible approach, we're in trouble and it's the worst day of the year.
Last edited by Rusty on Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:46 am

Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:31 am
Hey! It's Winter Solstice Day - today! 11:28 am. Paint your belly blue. Be careful which direction your blue spiral runs.
I felt kind of bad about Christianity being in decline so let me suggest an alternative that is growing and it's probably pre-christian.
You can start by celebrating Yule. I have a guide to practical matters that you can enjoy too.

Yule Rituals for beginners

This covers prayers, setting up altars, welcoming the return of the sun, etc. Lots here for the whole family. Goats are for later.

They're gonna go nuts at Stonehenge today.

Here, for the abstainers, is a more neutral approach to solstice.
The winter solstice is Thursday: 7 things to know about the shortest day of the year

If you follow the astrologers, as yet a third possible approach, we're in trouble and it's the worst day of the year.
I choose rather to celebrate the creator of all things...not the things.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad