Can a Christian Support Gay Marriage?

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Post Reply
User avatar
Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie
Posts: 16963
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by Kerdy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:26 pm

Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
infidel wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
infidel wrote:
wosbald wrote:But it would only be one short and logically progressive step from this point to claim that there is no substantive difference between Man and the rest of Creation.
Nonsense, we don't allow people to make contracts with animals, vegetables or inanimate objects. Those things do not logically follow from allowing any two adults to legally marry.
Now YOUR post was nonsense because people are actively trying to do those things right now.

Animals - In Europe recently they were attempting to give chimps personhood which entitles them to human rights. People will their cats stuff all the time.

Inanimate objects - Did you notice the "green" movement lately?
These are different than allowing contracts between a person and a non-person.
Did you not read the part about giving apes personhood?
The trouble with the slippery-slope argument is that it's a slippery slope. Once you accept the argument in one thing, they start using it everywhere.
The problem with the slipperly slope is you can always tell whats going to happen with certain things. This is one of them. How, because we remember what people do and how they do it. History with experience guides you. For example, it wasnt too long after this massive push for homosexual marriage people began pushing for multiperson marriages, just like we said would happen and they said would not happen. There is always more to their agenda then they reveal at any given time. It isnt so much a slippery slope as us knowing they are liars and deviants who will stop at nothing to get what they want.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

User avatar
venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal
Posts: 2452
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Southcentral, PA
Contact:

Post by venator260 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:26 pm

Goodness. For the first time, I agree with the positions of both Kerdy and Bigwill. I feel unsettled.

As has been said, I cannot support gay marriage under the current way that we do marriage in this country. I usually fall on the liberal side of church and state issues, but there's just something about this one that makes it different. I could support civil unions as Bigwill described.

And it has also been said, but I will echo. I view homosexuality as another sinful urge that some people are burdened with. It's similar to the urge for me to do improper things with attractive females that I'm not married to. Just because it's the most difficult sin for those people to overcome doesn't mean they shouldn't work on it, and it doesn't mean that it can't be done with hard work and God's help.

However, allowing gay marriage would not force the Catholic church, or any church, to perform those marriages. Just like now, when a pastor can refuse to perform a marriage because the couple wanting to be married has lived together (I've seen it happen), so too could a church refuse to marry two men, or two women (or a man and a dog, or a snake and a chair if we slide down the slippery slope that has been mentioned).

User avatar
Bigwill
Near! Far!
Near! Far!
Posts: 10000
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Woodstock, IL
Contact:

Post by Bigwill » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:27 pm

Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:Has anyone ever wondered why STD's are only spread among the sexually deviant? If so, the answer is because their actions are WRONG!
Thrush is sexually transmitted. It can be passed between husband and wife in the missionary position with no other sexual partners ever involved.
I can bite my tongue when I eat sometimes. Frogs bump their butt when they hop. If dogs could talk they would still say "bark" because they may be what they intend to say. See, I can toss out pointless things too.

BTW - Females get this infection (yeast infection for those who didnt know what he was talking about) without ever having sex. I'm just sayin...

This is always present in women and can become a problem simply by using modern femine products. Anything else you want to try?
Yes, and it may be sexually transmitted, to their husbands when they do have sex. I was simply illustrating that your point is false. Note that you used the word "only" in your statement. Therefore, a single exception disproves your point. That's all.
So, you were grasping at straws.
No, this is where you say... "Oh, ok, you're right. My point was wrong, thanks for correcting me."
I actually don't think your example has much to do with his statement.

The implication from his statement (at least my reading of it) was that STD's are not transmitted among those who are chaste. It didn't have anything to do (IMO, at least) with OTHER things that could be transmitted through sexual activity. (Unless thrush is considered an STD. In which case, you're absolutely right--that does disprove his 'proposition'.)
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good? Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

User avatar
Bigwill
Near! Far!
Near! Far!
Posts: 10000
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Woodstock, IL
Contact:

Post by Bigwill » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:29 pm

venator260 wrote:Goodness. For the first time, I agree with the positions of both Kerdy and Bigwill. I feel unsettled.
In other words:

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'm schitzophrenic,
And so am I!

:lol:;):)
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good? Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

User avatar
Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie
Posts: 16963
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by Kerdy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:30 pm

Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:Has anyone ever wondered why STD's are only spread among the sexually deviant? If so, the answer is because their actions are WRONG!
Thrush is sexually transmitted. It can be passed between husband and wife in the missionary position with no other sexual partners ever involved.
I can bite my tongue when I eat sometimes. Frogs bump their butt when they hop. If dogs could talk they would still say "bark" because they may be what they intend to say. See, I can toss out pointless things too.

BTW - Females get this infection (yeast infection for those who didnt know what he was talking about) without ever having sex. I'm just sayin...

This is always present in women and can become a problem simply by using modern femine products. Anything else you want to try?
Yes, and it may be sexually transmitted, to their husbands when they do have sex. I was simply illustrating that your point is false. Note that you used the word "only" in your statement. Therefore, a single exception disproves your point. That's all.
So, you were grasping at straws.
No, this is where you say... "Oh, ok, you're right. My point was wrong, thanks for correcting me."
I would, but that isnt true, so I cant. Just like homsexuality being genetic and ok are not true so I cant support homosexuality in any form to include marriage.

You are attempting to say a yeast infection is the same thing as genital warts, HIV/AIDS, syphilis, etc. Its not. This is where you admit you were grabbing at anything in an attempt to disprove Kerdy on principle.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

User avatar
Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie
Posts: 16963
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by Kerdy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Bigwill wrote:
venator260 wrote:Goodness. For the first time, I agree with the positions of both Kerdy and Bigwill. I feel unsettled.
In other words:

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'm schitzophrenic,
And so am I!

:lol:;):)
8O :D :yes:
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

User avatar
Baines
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 992
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Contact:

Post by Baines » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:39 pm

At risk of repeating what others may have said (I haven't had time to look back on the previous pages) I would support the state getting out of the business of defining marriage and granting civil unions to whoever wants them, just as long as they don't call it marriage, and letting religious groups define marriage among their own adherents.

That being said, Homosexuality goes against scripture and tradition. People who have homosexual tendencies can be members of the Church if they live in chastity (perhaps even joining a monastery). But marriage cannot be granted by a Church to a Homosexual couple legitimately.
Lord, save me whether I will it or not...-St. John Chrysostom

That's not a pipe, that's a pipe!

http://www.tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=1223

User avatar
Zed
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser
Posts: 13464
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Howard City, Michigan
Contact:

Post by Zed » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:55 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Bigwill wrote:I am opposed to gay marriage, but I am also opposed to the government "civilizing" my marriage. The issues involved are distinct. For the government, "marriage" means legal rights and responsibilities willingly attached which wouldn't otherwise be (e.g., rights of survivorship, health care decisions, tax implications, etc.). Am I opposed to the government attaching those same rights and responsibilities to gay couples? Not in the slightest. But that doesn't make it a marriage.

My marriage, on the other hand, has nothing to do with those things. It's a Sacrament whose graces are confected every time my wife and I engage in the marital act. Am I opposed to gay couples being married? In the Catholic Church, yes. In other Churches, I don't make that decision for them.

So, that's my solution. Get the government out of the business of marriage altogether. Create something called a "civil U***n" between two consenting adults which creates agreed-upon rights and responsibilities. I have no issue with this. "Divorce" would become "dissolution of the civil U***n", and would be nothing more than the division of marital property (and custody issues--should those have arisen).

Leave marriages to whatever Churches want to perform them. And attach no legal rights or responsibilities to them whatsoever. If the Catholic Church doesn't want to allow two men to marry, so be it. If the Unitarian Universalist Church does, again, so be it. It's a matter of faith (or lack thereof; if one is without faith or without a Church, then he really shouldn't have a desire to get "married" in this scenario).
+1, but unlikely to happen anytime soon.
+1
YEAH COBS

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10857
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Post by Onyx » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:57 pm

Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:Has anyone ever wondered why STD's are only spread among the sexually deviant? If so, the answer is because their actions are WRONG!
Thrush is sexually transmitted. It can be passed between husband and wife in the missionary position with no other sexual partners ever involved.
I can bite my tongue when I eat sometimes. Frogs bump their butt when they hop. If dogs could talk they would still say "bark" because they may be what they intend to say. See, I can toss out pointless things too.

BTW - Females get this infection (yeast infection for those who didnt know what he was talking about) without ever having sex. I'm just sayin...

This is always present in women and can become a problem simply by using modern femine products. Anything else you want to try?
Yes, and it may be sexually transmitted, to their husbands when they do have sex. I was simply illustrating that your point is false. Note that you used the word "only" in your statement. Therefore, a single exception disproves your point. That's all.
So, you were grasping at straws.
No, this is where you say... "Oh, ok, you're right. My point was wrong, thanks for correcting me."
I would, but that isnt true, so I cant. Just like homsexuality being genetic and ok are not true so I cant support homosexuality in any form to include marriage.

You are attempting to say a yeast infection is the same thing as genital warts, HIV/AIDS, syphilis, etc. Its not. This is where you admit you were grabbing at anything in an attempt to disprove Kerdy on principle.
Yes, I was grabbing at anything in an attempt to prove Kerdy wrong on the principle that the more certain a person is, the greater the glee when they're proved wrong. (I don't think that's really a principle so much as an affliction.)

On the whole issue of this thread, I take the libertarian view as expressed by Bigwill. On the morality of homosexuality, I'm not so sure. I'm decidedly uncomfortable with the whole notion of homosexuality, and I would be unhappy about it in my family - but I do not know how much of that is my background prejudices, and how much is sound morality. As you don't need to jump to point out, this is what happens when one is unsure of the foundation of morality itself.

Then you made a point about diseases that are transmitted by sexual activity. It's a valid point, almost all diseases transmitted this way would cease to be a problem if sex was always within faithful, monogamous marriages. Actually, I think that it's a very telling point about the nature of sex and health. But I think that there is an exception to this. Thrush is a fungal infection, and no - it is not "the same thing" as the viral or bacterial infections you mention because it is less serious. It is also different because it is due to a fungal imbalance since the fungus in question is normally in the body, however normally its population is kept in check by the necessary bacteria. It may get out of balance due to diet, stress, or while using antibiotics. Nevertheless, it happens and it is often transmitted via sexual intercourse.

User avatar
Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie
Posts: 16963
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by Kerdy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:04 pm

Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:Has anyone ever wondered why STD's are only spread among the sexually deviant? If so, the answer is because their actions are WRONG!
Thrush is sexually transmitted. It can be passed between husband and wife in the missionary position with no other sexual partners ever involved.
I can bite my tongue when I eat sometimes. Frogs bump their butt when they hop. If dogs could talk they would still say "bark" because they may be what they intend to say. See, I can toss out pointless things too.

BTW - Females get this infection (yeast infection for those who didnt know what he was talking about) without ever having sex. I'm just sayin...

This is always present in women and can become a problem simply by using modern femine products. Anything else you want to try?
Yes, and it may be sexually transmitted, to their husbands when they do have sex. I was simply illustrating that your point is false. Note that you used the word "only" in your statement. Therefore, a single exception disproves your point. That's all.
So, you were grasping at straws.
No, this is where you say... "Oh, ok, you're right. My point was wrong, thanks for correcting me."
I would, but that isnt true, so I cant. Just like homsexuality being genetic and ok are not true so I cant support homosexuality in any form to include marriage.

You are attempting to say a yeast infection is the same thing as genital warts, HIV/AIDS, syphilis, etc. Its not. This is where you admit you were grabbing at anything in an attempt to disprove Kerdy on principle.
Yes, I was grabbing at anything in an attempt to prove Kerdy wrong on the principle that the more certain a person is, the greater the glee when they're proved wrong. (I don't think that's really a principle so much as an affliction.)

On the whole issue of this thread, I take the libertarian view as expressed by Bigwill. On the morality of homosexuality, I'm not so sure. I'm decidedly uncomfortable with the whole notion of homosexuality, and I would be unhappy about it in my family - but I do not know how much of that is my background prejudices, and how much is sound morality. As you don't need to jump to point out, this is what happens when one is unsure of the foundation of morality itself.

Then you made a point about diseases that are transmitted by sexual activity. It's a valid point, almost all diseases transmitted this way would cease to be a problem if sex was always within faithful, monogamous marriages. Actually, I think that it's a very telling point about the nature of sex and health. But I think that there is an exception to this. Thrush is a fungal infection, and no - it is not "the same thing" as the viral or bacterial infections you mention because it is less serious. It is also different because it is due to a fungal imbalance since the fungus in question is normally in the body, however normally its population is kept in check by the necessary bacteria. It may get out of balance due to diet, stress, or while using antibiotics. Nevertheless, it happens and it is often transmitted via sexual intercourse.
So, its NOT the same thing. Thats what I said.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10857
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Post by Onyx » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:Has anyone ever wondered why STD's are only spread among the sexually deviant? If so, the answer is because their actions are WRONG!
Thrush is sexually transmitted. It can be passed between husband and wife in the missionary position with no other sexual partners ever involved.
I can bite my tongue when I eat sometimes. Frogs bump their butt when they hop. If dogs could talk they would still say "bark" because they may be what they intend to say. See, I can toss out pointless things too.

BTW - Females get this infection (yeast infection for those who didnt know what he was talking about) without ever having sex. I'm just sayin...

This is always present in women and can become a problem simply by using modern femine products. Anything else you want to try?
Yes, and it may be sexually transmitted, to their husbands when they do have sex. I was simply illustrating that your point is false. Note that you used the word "only" in your statement. Therefore, a single exception disproves your point. That's all.
So, you were grasping at straws.
No, this is where you say... "Oh, ok, you're right. My point was wrong, thanks for correcting me."
I would, but that isnt true, so I cant. Just like homsexuality being genetic and ok are not true so I cant support homosexuality in any form to include marriage.

You are attempting to say a yeast infection is the same thing as genital warts, HIV/AIDS, syphilis, etc. Its not. This is where you admit you were grabbing at anything in an attempt to disprove Kerdy on principle.
Yes, I was grabbing at anything in an attempt to prove Kerdy wrong on the principle that the more certain a person is, the greater the glee when they're proved wrong. (I don't think that's really a principle so much as an affliction.)

On the whole issue of this thread, I take the libertarian view as expressed by Bigwill. On the morality of homosexuality, I'm not so sure. I'm decidedly uncomfortable with the whole notion of homosexuality, and I would be unhappy about it in my family - but I do not know how much of that is my background prejudices, and how much is sound morality. As you don't need to jump to point out, this is what happens when one is unsure of the foundation of morality itself.

Then you made a point about diseases that are transmitted by sexual activity. It's a valid point, almost all diseases transmitted this way would cease to be a problem if sex was always within faithful, monogamous marriages. Actually, I think that it's a very telling point about the nature of sex and health. But I think that there is an exception to this. Thrush is a fungal infection, and no - it is not "the same thing" as the viral or bacterial infections you mention because it is less serious. It is also different because it is due to a fungal imbalance since the fungus in question is normally in the body, however normally its population is kept in check by the necessary bacteria. It may get out of balance due to diet, stress, or while using antibiotics. Nevertheless, it happens and it is often transmitted via sexual intercourse.
So, its NOT the same thing. Thats what I said.
Nobody said it was the same thing. Neither is HIV/AIDS the same thing as genital warts. They're different diseases. But all are transmitted by sexual activity.

User avatar
Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie
Posts: 16963
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by Kerdy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:11 pm

And lets not forget infants get thrush in their mouths from antibiotics.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

User avatar
Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie
Posts: 16963
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by Kerdy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:12 pm

Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:Has anyone ever wondered why STD's are only spread among the sexually deviant? If so, the answer is because their actions are WRONG!
Thrush is sexually transmitted. It can be passed between husband and wife in the missionary position with no other sexual partners ever involved.
I can bite my tongue when I eat sometimes. Frogs bump their butt when they hop. If dogs could talk they would still say "bark" because they may be what they intend to say. See, I can toss out pointless things too.

BTW - Females get this infection (yeast infection for those who didnt know what he was talking about) without ever having sex. I'm just sayin...

This is always present in women and can become a problem simply by using modern femine products. Anything else you want to try?
Yes, and it may be sexually transmitted, to their husbands when they do have sex. I was simply illustrating that your point is false. Note that you used the word "only" in your statement. Therefore, a single exception disproves your point. That's all.
So, you were grasping at straws.
No, this is where you say... "Oh, ok, you're right. My point was wrong, thanks for correcting me."
I would, but that isnt true, so I cant. Just like homsexuality being genetic and ok are not true so I cant support homosexuality in any form to include marriage.

You are attempting to say a yeast infection is the same thing as genital warts, HIV/AIDS, syphilis, etc. Its not. This is where you admit you were grabbing at anything in an attempt to disprove Kerdy on principle.
Yes, I was grabbing at anything in an attempt to prove Kerdy wrong on the principle that the more certain a person is, the greater the glee when they're proved wrong. (I don't think that's really a principle so much as an affliction.)

On the whole issue of this thread, I take the libertarian view as expressed by Bigwill. On the morality of homosexuality, I'm not so sure. I'm decidedly uncomfortable with the whole notion of homosexuality, and I would be unhappy about it in my family - but I do not know how much of that is my background prejudices, and how much is sound morality. As you don't need to jump to point out, this is what happens when one is unsure of the foundation of morality itself.

Then you made a point about diseases that are transmitted by sexual activity. It's a valid point, almost all diseases transmitted this way would cease to be a problem if sex was always within faithful, monogamous marriages. Actually, I think that it's a very telling point about the nature of sex and health. But I think that there is an exception to this. Thrush is a fungal infection, and no - it is not "the same thing" as the viral or bacterial infections you mention because it is less serious. It is also different because it is due to a fungal imbalance since the fungus in question is normally in the body, however normally its population is kept in check by the necessary bacteria. It may get out of balance due to diet, stress, or while using antibiotics. Nevertheless, it happens and it is often transmitted via sexual intercourse.
So, its NOT the same thing. Thats what I said.
Nobody said it was the same thing. Neither is HIV/AIDS the same thing as genital warts. They're different diseases. But all are transmitted by sexual activity.
You dont have to admit you were wrong, just stop trying to defend your position.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

User avatar
Bone
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:00 pm

Post by Bone » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:15 pm

- Homosexuality and related actions are a sin, not different in principle than getting drunk, murdering, lying, cheating on spouse, etc... Part of becoming a Christian is moving away from worldly and sinful practices and growing more pure in Christ. Through a relationship with Jesus people can be forgiven for and overcome homosexuality just like they can alcoholism.

+1

Hate the sin love the sinner. Really it's as easy as that. It's not like I'm any better than someone else because I'm not gay or because I'm not an alcoholic. The only difference between me and someone who is in prison is that their sins are illegal. Our job as Christians is to lead other to Christ, to make deciples. When we get hung-up on arguments like this we take our eyes off the big picture. In this actuall argument I don't know what the answer is, and I think, sometimes that's the best answer.

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10857
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Post by Onyx » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:18 pm

Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:[quote="Kerdy"]Has anyone ever wondered why STD's are only spread among the sexually deviant? If so, the answer is because their actions are WRONG!
Thrush is sexually transmitted. It can be passed between husband and wife in the missionary position with no other sexual partners ever involved.
I can bite my tongue when I eat sometimes. Frogs bump their butt when they hop. If dogs could talk they would still say "bark" because they may be what they intend to say. See, I can toss out pointless things too.

BTW - Females get this infection (yeast infection for those who didnt know what he was talking about) without ever having sex. I'm just sayin...

This is always present in women and can become a problem simply by using modern femine products. Anything else you want to try?
Yes, and it may be sexually transmitted, to their husbands when they do have sex. I was simply illustrating that your point is false. Note that you used the word "only" in your statement. Therefore, a single exception disproves your point. That's all.
So, you were grasping at straws.
No, this is where you say... "Oh, ok, you're right. My point was wrong, thanks for correcting me."
I would, but that isnt true, so I cant. Just like homsexuality being genetic and ok are not true so I cant support homosexuality in any form to include marriage.

You are attempting to say a yeast infection is the same thing as genital warts, HIV/AIDS, syphilis, etc. Its not. This is where you admit you were grabbing at anything in an attempt to disprove Kerdy on principle.
Yes, I was grabbing at anything in an attempt to prove Kerdy wrong on the principle that the more certain a person is, the greater the glee when they're proved wrong. (I don't think that's really a principle so much as an affliction.)

On the whole issue of this thread, I take the libertarian view as expressed by Bigwill. On the morality of homosexuality, I'm not so sure. I'm decidedly uncomfortable with the whole notion of homosexuality, and I would be unhappy about it in my family - but I do not know how much of that is my background prejudices, and how much is sound morality. As you don't need to jump to point out, this is what happens when one is unsure of the foundation of morality itself.

Then you made a point about diseases that are transmitted by sexual activity. It's a valid point, almost all diseases transmitted this way would cease to be a problem if sex was always within faithful, monogamous marriages. Actually, I think that it's a very telling point about the nature of sex and health. But I think that there is an exception to this. Thrush is a fungal infection, and no - it is not "the same thing" as the viral or bacterial infections you mention because it is less serious. It is also different because it is due to a fungal imbalance since the fungus in question is normally in the body, however normally its population is kept in check by the necessary bacteria. It may get out of balance due to diet, stress, or while using antibiotics. Nevertheless, it happens and it is often transmitted via sexual intercourse.
So, its NOT the same thing. Thats what I said.
Nobody said it was the same thing. Neither is HIV/AIDS the same thing as genital warts. They're different diseases. But all are transmitted by sexual activity.
You dont have to admit you were wrong, just stop trying to defend your position.[/quote]

Kerdy, I have no idea how a man as intelligent as you can be so unwilling to reason.

Is your objection:
a) that thrush is not sexually transmitted within marriages
b) that thrush is not a disease
c) something else I'm just not getting?

If it is c, please tell me why my objection to your point is invalid.

User avatar
Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie
Posts: 16963
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by Kerdy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:22 pm

Onyx wrote:
Kerdy, I have no idea how a man as intelligent as you can be so unwilling to reason.

Is your objection:
a) that thrush is not sexually transmitted within marriages
b) that thrush is not a disease
c) something else I'm just not getting?

If it is c, please tell me why my objection to your point is invalid.
My objection is you attempting to place Thrush in the same category as a VD/STD when it clearly isnt. That is, unless you can also take AIDS/HIV off the VD/STD list because you can get it in other ways not related to sex.

By the way, do you also consider pregancy to be an STD?

EDIT: And thanks for calling me intelligent. My wife walked by and said something about that one. LOL! :lol:

ANOTHER EDIT: Here, let me attempt to explain it even more. A female can get Thrush all on her own for a variety of reasons without any outside help. Not the same for STDs. That keeps it from being a sexually transmitted anything unless you know of cases where someone spontaneously erupted in a case of Chlamydia due to stress or a bad diet. Also, you COULD get ringworm from having sex, but its not an STD either.
Last edited by Kerdy on Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10857
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Post by Onyx » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:32 pm

Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy, I have no idea how a man as intelligent as you can be so unwilling to reason.

Is your objection:
a) that thrush is not sexually transmitted within marriages
b) that thrush is not a disease
c) something else I'm just not getting?

If it is c, please tell me why my objection to your point is invalid.
My objection is you attempting to place Thrush in the same category as a VD/STD when it clearly isnt. That is, unless you can also take AIDS/HIV off the VD/STD list because you can get it in other ways not related to sex.

By the way, do you also consider pregancy to be an STD?
No, pregnancy is not a disease.

Your argument is circular. In effect you are saying:
All sexually transmitted diseases are spread by deviant behaviour.
Thrush is not counted, because it's not spread by deviant behaviour.

(Unless you are saying that it is not exclusively transmitted by sexual activity, in which case neither is HIV/AIDS.)

If the "category" we are discussing is diseases that are transmitted sexually, then they are in the same category. Of course there are many differences, and there are other categorizations which would separate thrush from the others. But we are talking about diseases that are sexually transmitted.

User avatar
Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie
Posts: 16963
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by Kerdy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:34 pm

Onyx wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Kerdy, I have no idea how a man as intelligent as you can be so unwilling to reason.

Is your objection:
a) that thrush is not sexually transmitted within marriages
b) that thrush is not a disease
c) something else I'm just not getting?

If it is c, please tell me why my objection to your point is invalid.
My objection is you attempting to place Thrush in the same category as a VD/STD when it clearly isnt. That is, unless you can also take AIDS/HIV off the VD/STD list because you can get it in other ways not related to sex.

By the way, do you also consider pregancy to be an STD?
No, pregnancy is not a disease.

Your argument is circular. In effect you are saying:
All sexually transmitted diseases are spread by deviant behaviour.
Thrush is not counted, because it's not spread by deviant behaviour.

(Unless you are saying that it is not exclusively transmitted by sexual activity, in which case neither is HIV/AIDS.)

If the "category" we are discussing is diseases that are transmitted sexually, then they are in the same category. Of course there are many differences, and there are other categorizations which would separate thrush from the others. But we are talking about diseases that are sexually transmitted.
I refer you to my edit.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10857
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Post by Onyx » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:35 pm

Kerdy wrote:EDIT: And thanks for calling me intelligent. My wife walked by and said something about that one. LOL! :lol:
Please ask your good wife for me - are you also unwilling to reason? Whatever her answer, I will accept it.

User avatar
Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie
Posts: 16963
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by Kerdy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:36 pm

Onyx wrote:
But we are talking about diseases that are sexually transmitted.
No, thats what you are talking about. I was talking about deviant sexual behavior.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Post Reply