Bible Code

For those deep thinkers out there.
researchdoc
Congregation
Congregation

Bible Code

Post by researchdoc » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:29 am

What are your thoughts on the Bible Code?
I have read just about everything out there on this. I started by reading Drosnin's "Bible Code". It scared me. Drosnin is a self proclamed agnostic. I wanted a Christian's perspective on it, so I read "The Handwriting of God" by Grant Jeffries (spell?).
My opinion is that there is something to it. And I feel that it supports the position of the Holy Bible not only being a divine inspiration on the authors, but divine implantation of his word.
I have since read just about everything written on the subject that is available, including the thesis and technical papers that were produced at Hebrew University.
Have any of you looked into this at any depth? Regardless, what are your thoughts?
Doc

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:31 am

I don't know much/anything about it. What's it all about?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

sguthrie
Pastor
Pastor

Post by sguthrie » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:22 am

I think it's bogus. For those who don't know, someone has put together a computer program that goes through the Bible in the original laguages and looks for "codes". For example, it will look at every 5th letter and look for new revelations. Supposedly they've found refrences to all sorts of events and they are calling it a kind or prophecy.

There are two main problems with this. First of all, as I understand it there were no vowles in the ancient Hebrew - that means that whoever is doing the search get's to fill in their own to get the words they want.

Even more telling to me, is that people have run the same search through modern books, such as War and Peace and found the exact same thing. To me, it's just a matter of statistics - in any long body of work you will be able to, just by coincidence, find "hidden" messages in the text.

researchdoc
Congregation
Congregation

Post by researchdoc » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:00 am

I used to think the same things about it until I started reading the papers out of Hebrew University. I know one would think that Hebrew U info would be based on Theology, but these studies were performed out of the statistics department. The amount of "code" that was coming out of the New Testament was deemed to be statistically impossible based on other literature used as control samples and even vs. the New Testament. To further elaborate on it they detailed that this phenomenon was only coming out of the first 5 books of the New Testament, which is basically the Torah which is proclamed to be written by the finger of God himself. I read that the code events are not coming from anywhere else other than that. True or not, it is quite fascinating.
Coming from non Christian writings (such as Drosnin) it speaks of code that has documented current events such as the Presidents of the US, assasinations of world leaders (by whom did the deed) plus even your name or my name. However, in Christain writings (such as Jeffries), the forthcoming of the Jesus Christ as the Messiah was discussed in the Old Testament (Christ called by name) along with events surrounding his life in detail were found in code in the Suffering Servant chapters of the Old Testament. I too thought all this was bunk until I started looking at all the literature available on it. Quite amazing. And if not true, still amazing that someone could come up with such an elaborate scheme.

pdtheo
Congregation
Congregation

Post by pdtheo » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:41 am

For years I've heard about codes in the Bible, but I think that from a historical perspective, it's just not possible. Think about how the original editors of the canon would have had to rearrange spellings, translations, etc. in order to maintain the integrity of such codes. Not only that, I've found in my studies of numerology in music (most notably in the works of JS Bach) that if one wants to find some kind of meaning in the way the notes/rhythms/meter/key areas etc., one will. We're not dealing with hocus-pocus when we read God's word; the central and critical meanings are clear and unobscured.

sguthrie
Pastor
Pastor

Post by sguthrie » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:52 am

reasearchdoc - I'm just curious. Have you read anything on the con side of the issue, or all pro stuff? I find it helpfull to read stuff from both sides and try to make a judement. I feel you get more of the evidence that way.

researchdoc
Congregation
Congregation

Post by researchdoc » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:23 pm

Very good question. Yes, I have read contradictories. But, natrually there are not as many of those as there is affirmative literature. Of course that is pretty standard. With most things, when a group(s) wants to prove their view, typically there is more literature due to the burden of proof being on them. Contradiction typically (or from what I have seen) has the norm on it's side and therefore less pursueding to do. I have actually taken the perspective to try to disprove this because I am a fairly harsh critic.. at least I think so. I have gone at this from a scientific perspective (hence gathering info from the secular literature). Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to pursuede anyone to believe it or disbelieve it. And I will make the statement that I believe the Holy Bible's straight reading text whole heartedly. I am not saying that I believe every word out there that everyone, including the proclaimed Christian writers, say. Just coming from a background of research and science, I see that there is enough evidence from the scientific community and from some Christian scientific perspectives to believe that there is something there.
Back to your question, yes, I have. There is literature from both Christian and secular camps that state such probabilities are statistically impossible, but I haven't seen any compelling data to back it up yet. Plus, I cannot read Hebrew so I have to pretty much take the word of all that I read, as long as there is a show of evidence or data (such as the papers from Hebrew U). I am very reluctant to believe much from reading the internet (from both sides of the coin) due to it being free from restrictions. When I have time, I can post some of the contradictory references so that if anyone wishes, they can read both sides.

pdtheo,
Quite correct! It is historically impossible (IMHO) to layer such text inside such meaningful, straight forward, straight reading text. But that is what hooked me on checking this thing out. The first 5 books of the bible (as I have been taught and read) was written by Moses. Moses said (again as I have been taught) that the words were given to him by God (not inspired but by the hand of God as was the Arc of the Covenant). So from that perspective, it would be in line that no man could do such a thing, it had to be from an omnipotent, omnipresent God. That is what started the whole thing for me. I have found it to be quite interesting. Now you know what I have done while smoking my pipes...LOL... maybe I shouldn't smoke so much....(no I only smoke cigars and pipe tobac, nothing else)...again LOL. :lol:

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Re: Bible Code

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:38 pm

Pretty sure we need an update here.
DL Jake

I can't wait to get into the Tobacco Fairy's shorts!! - John-Boy

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:55 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:38 pm
I'm sure sguthrie could oblige. Where is he, I wonder.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:14 pm

Been watching the Omega Code on Youtube thats based on the Bible Code.
'You, sir, are a Japanese Eggplant."
----AFRS

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:58 pm

Here’s a catch up ...
“Mene Tekel Bible Code” wrote: Image

The words, "The message will be carefully encrypted" literally reads, "'It" will be carefully encrypted." The word "encrypted" has the root meaning of, "to plug up" something, as in a hole. The immediate context refers to 'the message' as the thing "plugged up"; however, the subsequent context implies that it is also 'the empty tomb' that is sealed, or, carefully plugged up. It is interesting that 1335 days (Daniel 12:12, cf., Daniel 9:24-27) after the hand-code appeared (Pentecost, 2000), it was announced to the world that Saddam's hiding hole was to be 'carefully plugged up' with cement, (Feb. 3, 2004, traditional anniversary date of Luke 2:21-38. Compare Daniel 12:9-13 with Luke 2:25-30). Then they went and instead "sealed" it secretly the next day with a 300 pound slab of cement. This also makes 1335 days since the hand-code appeared at about 11:30 p.m. Pentecost 2000, and with the 8 hour time-zone difference to our EST, this makes the sealing of the 'tomb' (hole) in Iraq indeed 1335 days! Thus the code reads: "Shout aloud, "It will be carefully plugged up!"'" (i.e., "sealed.")
Wow!
How can anyone doubt it?
Sign me up.

Now where did I leave my tin foil hat?
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:47 am

researchdoc wrote:
Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:29 am
I have read just about everything out there on this. I started by reading Drosnin's "Bible Code". It scared me. Drosnin is a self proclamed agnostic. I wanted a Christian's perspective on it, so I read "The Handwriting of God" by Grant Jeffries (spell?).
My opinion is that there is something to it. And I feel that it supports the position of the Holy Bible not only being a divine inspiration on the authors, but divine implantation of his word.
I have since read just about everything written on the subject that is available, including the thesis and technical papers that were produced at Hebrew University.
Have any of you looked into this at any depth? Regardless, what are your thoughts?
Doc
The funniest part of this whole thread is that he claims to have read just about EVERYTHING out there on this subject, and is now seeking advice from US!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:30 am

MrPiper wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:47 am
researchdoc wrote:
Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:29 am
Doc
The funniest part of this whole thread is that he claims to have read just about EVERYTHING out there on this subject, and is now seeking advice from US!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I liked the fact he was called "researchdoc".

My theory is that he wrote the book.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Del
The Royal Order of the Holy Mackarel

Post by Del » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:50 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Secret Bible Code? More writing on the wall?

It means "Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself."
"Anyone who knows anything of experts will know one thing for certain; that they will always be disturbing our way of living; and therefore we shall always be disputing their right of governing." - GKC. Feb 11, 1933.

michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by michigander » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:21 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:50 pm
DepartedLight wrote:

I just read that on a wall by a urinal at a truck stop today (really).

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:13 pm

In the code does it say “you are a sinner and Jesus Christ died on a cross to save you from eternal damnation?” If not there’s no value in it.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

Del

Post by Del » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:11 am

arank87 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:13 pm
In the code does it say “you are a sinner and Jesus Christ died on a cross to save you from eternal damnation?” If not there’s no value in it.
1) Jesus told us a whole lot more than that.

2) Jesus did a greater thing on the cross than just to pay for our sins.

3) There are no codes or hidden secrets to discover in the Bible. The teaching of the Apostles (including the Scriptures they carried and wrote) is the totality of everything God wants all of us to know.

However, Scripture is very rich, and meditating on the Scripture does help us to understand God's revelation more deeply. But there is nothing new to discover that the Apostles did not know. Nothing like millennialism or a pre-tribulational rapture. And certainly nothing hidden in a crossword code of text.
"Anyone who knows anything of experts will know one thing for certain; that they will always be disturbing our way of living; and therefore we shall always be disputing their right of governing." - GKC. Feb 11, 1933.

Del

Post by Del » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:25 am

michigander wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:21 pm
Del wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:50 pm
DepartedLight wrote:

I just read that on a wall by a urinal at a truck stop today (really).
It's the latest meme.

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:32 am

Del wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:11 am
arank87 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:13 pm
1) Jesus told us a whole lot more than that.

2) Jesus did a greater thing on the cross than just to pay for our sins.

3) There are no codes or hidden secrets to discover in the Bible. The teaching of the Apostles (including the Scriptures they carried and wrote) is the totality of everything God wants all of us to know.

However, Scripture is very rich, and meditating on the Scripture does help us to understand God's revelation more deeply. But there is nothing new to discover that the Apostles did not know. Nothing like millennialism or a pre-tribulational rapture. And certainly nothing hidden in a crossword code of text.
Can you explain #2? I’m not following.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:11 am

The code to the Bible is one must actually read it.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen