Reformation Day!

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:55 am

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
The 95 Rants was probably the first Manifesto, so I'd say that Luther was definitely a luminary and harbinger of the Modern World to come.
LOL
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:05 pm

infidel wrote:
The 95 Rants was probably the first Manifesto, so I'd say that Luther was definitely a luminary and harbinger of the Modern World to come.
LOL
If it weren't for Catholics the Protestants never would have been. If it weren't for Protestants science as we know it never would have been. Thank God for the both of you groups.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Thunktank wrote:
infidel wrote:
LOL
If it weren't for Catholics the Protestants never would have been. If it weren't for Protestants science as we know it never would have been. Thank God for the both of you groups.
Ever the pragmatist... God love ya! :lol:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:40 pm

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:41 pm

The printing press was more modern than anything published on one. If anything Luther was fighting against the Zeitgiest which is always progressing and innovating and indulgences and abuses of the papacy were the most blatant in his day.

More than the manifesto of an ideologue, Luther's theses were born out of a pastoral concern. He saw how the innovations and bloat were cutting off people from the gospel. The answer, to generalize, was not a deconstructionist approach, but rather a back to the basics approach: Stop innovating and return once again to solid ground.
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:13 pm

tuttle wrote:
The printing press was more modern than anything published on one. If anything Luther was fighting against the Zeitgiest which is always progressing and innovating and indulgences and abuses of the papacy were the most blatant in his day.

More than the manifesto of an ideologue, Luther's theses were born out of a pastoral concern. He saw how the innovations and bloat were cutting off people from the gospel. The answer, to generalize, was not a deconstructionist approach, but rather a back to the basics approach: Stop innovating and return once again to solid ground.
Don't worry tuttle. He's just jealous.

Eric
VapeHead
VapeHead

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by Eric » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:53 am

coco wrote:That's right, boys and girls, Reformation Day is coming up! October 31st!

Nail something to a door.

Coming to a heart and mind near you this Friday!

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:57 am

Eric wrote:
coco wrote:That's right, boys and girls, Reformation Day is coming up! October 31st!

Nail something to a door.

Coming to a heart and mind near you this Friday!
:bacon:
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Cliff
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cliff » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:02 am

HAPPY REFORMATION DAY to CPS friends :wavey:
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOUR PIPE
What is a rebel?-A man who says No- Albert Camus

"I have set my course for uncharted seas." Paradisio, Canto II, v 9, Dante

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:20 am

A Chestertonian buddy in Springfield, IL is hosting a bunch of guys to a Four Men Feast on October 31.

OldWorldSwine is also invited. I am bringing the Cottage Bacon.

I have no intention of being the first one to mention "Reformation Day." The party is in honor of Hillaire Belloc, and this bunch is bellicose enough to begin with.

Many of the participants are converts to Catholicism. However, I gather that most Protestants ignore Reformation Day like most Christians ignore Lepanto.

We shall sing some songs that Belloc wrote, such as his Song of the Pelagian Heresy and his all-year-round carol, Noel -- the chorus of which goes, "Noel! Noel! Noel! Noel! May all of my enemies go to Hell!"
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:28 am

Del wrote:...I gather that most Protestants ignore Reformation Day like most Christians ignore Lepanto.
Most Protestants could not tell you anything about the Reformation, nor could they tell you anything about Luther except, "He was some famous guy in history, right?"

Behold, Catholics, the fields for Counter-Reformation are ripe for harvest. Protestant minds are blank slates, waiting to be written upon.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:32 am

Del wrote:...We shall sing some songs that Belloc wrote, such as his Song of the Pelagian Heresy and his all-year-round carol, Noel -- the chorus of which goes, "Noel! Noel! Noel! Noel! May all of my enemies go to Hell!"
I could really use some hymns by ancient heretics promoting their heresy, or hymns by ancient Christians opposing heresy. Preferably stuff written before the Reformation. If there is a CPSer out there with a reference or two, it would be greatly appreciated.

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:23 am

coco wrote:
Del wrote:...I gather that most Protestants ignore Reformation Day like most Christians ignore Lepanto.
Most Protestants could not tell you anything about the Reformation, nor could they tell you anything about Luther except, "He was some famous guy in history, right?"

Behold, Catholics, the fields for Counter-Reformation are ripe for harvest. Protestant minds are blank slates, waiting to be written upon.

I've been hanging around a better quality of protestants....
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Del

Post by Del » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:36 am

coco wrote:
Del wrote:...We shall sing some songs that Belloc wrote, such as his Song of the Pelagian Heresy and his all-year-round carol, Noel -- the chorus of which goes, "Noel! Noel! Noel! Noel! May all of my enemies go to Hell!"
I could really use some hymns by ancient heretics promoting their heresy, or hymns by ancient Christians opposing heresy. Preferably stuff written before the Reformation. If there is a CPSer out there with a reference or two, it would be greatly appreciated.
I have sometimes wondered what happened to the text of Arius' hymn of Christological error, There Was Once a Time When He Was Not. It might be lost to history.

Eucharistic hymns and Marian hymns abound, both ancient and modern-era (post reformation). They were not anti-heresy-propaganda songs, but hymns teach us.

You can tell the old hymns by their tone. They were all chant during the age of the Great Heresies.

The modern arrangements of polyphony and harmony mark the modern era. (And I do not mean to insult the Reformation by not including it among the Great Heresies; however, it is the first of the Great Heresies to occur in the modern era.)

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:42 am

+JMJ+
coco wrote:

As long as people believe that their Christian Identity is based on anything other than Baptismal Regeneration, they will always be Protestants. All else that is Protestant is just a posteriori window dressing.

Last edited by wosbald on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:42 am

Wait... what?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Del

Post by Del » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:55 am

gaining_age wrote:
coco wrote:

I've been hanging around a better quality of protestants....
Dang my impaired sense of humor!!!! :lol:

Our fundamental problem, as Christian evangelists, is that our own pews are full of lukewarm Catholics and Protestants who don't know Christ, don't know their faith, and don't know their history.

Somehow, it is easier to rescue lost sheep from each other's flocks.

Zealous Evangelicals approach lukewarm Catholics with knowledge of the Bible, deep and new, and perhaps a formula for salvation by a simple prayer. This is attractive to young Catholics who were not taught nuthin at home or parish schools. And Praise God! -- There is a safety net to catch some of these Catholic souls before they fall into Hell. But just try to reach a lukewarm Evangelical with that same old Bible stuff they've already put on armor to resist, and it's hard to do.

Zealous Catholics approach a lukewarm Evangelical with personal connection to history, intimate access to Christ in the Eucharist, a philosophical understanding of the Natural Law and our happy place in God's universe, all the Books of the Bible, beautiful architecture that inspires us to Heaven, new ways to pray, a whole gang of heroic friends in the saints, a heavenly Mother, (etc., the list is endless, and I'm just pulling from conversion stories I have heard)..... anyhow, this stuff is attractive. It is a cosmic playground of truth for those who are open to see it. But lukewarm Catholics are somehow bored with it all, and very hard for us to reach.

Eric
VapeHead
VapeHead

Post by Eric » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:06 pm

Coming to a heart and mind near you this Friday![/size]

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:13 am

Eric
VapeHead
VapeHead

Post by Eric » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:16 am

That's right, boys and girls, Reformation Day is here!

:bacon: :cheese: :taco: :dancingpie: :chili:
coco wrote:Nail something to a door.

:wavey: