Reformation Day!

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:08 am

Jocose wrote:Was the reformation necessary?


There is a funny story about a Protestant who wanted to convert to Orthodoxy. He runs up to an Orthodox priest and says: “I’m a Protestant, what must I do to become Orthodox?” The priest answered: “You must give up your Roman Catholicism!” The point here is that many of the problems in Protestant doctrine and worship reflect its origins in Roman Catholicism. It also reflects the fact that Western Christianity has broken from its patristic roots in the early Church. Another way of putting it is that Protestants are innocent victims of Rome’s errors and innovations.
When will you people accept responsibility for your own actions?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14300
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by Cleon » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:56 am

We're celebrating Reformation Day next Sunday with a few area churches. After worship and administration of the sacrament of communion we will head to the fellowship hall and have a party. I'm in charge of the bratwurst.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20372
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by Jocose » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:44 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Jocose wrote:Was the reformation necessary?


There is a funny story about a Protestant who wanted to convert to Orthodoxy. He runs up to an Orthodox priest and says: “I’m a Protestant, what must I do to become Orthodox?” The priest answered: “You must give up your Roman Catholicism!” The point here is that many of the problems in Protestant doctrine and worship reflect its origins in Roman Catholicism. It also reflects the fact that Western Christianity has broken from its patristic roots in the early Church. Another way of putting it is that Protestants are innocent victims of Rome’s errors and innovations.
When will you people accept responsibility for your own actions?
You people?
I am just a lowly, lower than dirt catechumen.
But when Rome started changing stuff like the Filioque and then adding stuff like papal supremacy, purgatory, indulgences, priests can not get married, Communion by bread alone and other weird stuff and not known prior what did they think was going to happen?
I'm not being nasty BTW, which I'm sure you already know.
Happy Halloween!
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:21 pm

Jocose wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Jocose wrote:Was the reformation necessary?


There is a funny story about a Protestant who wanted to convert to Orthodoxy. He runs up to an Orthodox priest and says: “I’m a Protestant, what must I do to become Orthodox?” The priest answered: “You must give up your Roman Catholicism!” The point here is that many of the problems in Protestant doctrine and worship reflect its origins in Roman Catholicism. It also reflects the fact that Western Christianity has broken from its patristic roots in the early Church. Another way of putting it is that Protestants are innocent victims of Rome’s errors and innovations.
When will you people accept responsibility for your own actions?
You people?
I am just a lowly, lower than dirt catechumen.
But when Rome started changing stuff like the Filioque and then adding stuff like papal supremacy, purgatory, indulgences, priests can not get married, Communion by bread alone and other weird stuff and not known prior what did they think was going to happen?
I'm not being nasty BTW, which I'm sure you already know.
Happy Halloween!
No, you're not, and I get that. I just get a kick out of the argument. It doesn't bear a lot of scrutiny, but is a convenient out for all involved. You see, in my mind, the whole thing is just a power struggle. IT suits the Orthodox to say "don't look at us, it wouldn't have happened if we were in charge", because of course theyre not. It's also effective with protestants converting to Orthodoxy, because their raison d'etre is based on a rejection of Rome.

But if Protestants are a logical outcropping of Roman principles, why wasn't the original schism a reaction to Orthodox principles.

I'm praying for the day when we all set aside the power issues to talk about the doctrinal issues.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3336
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:51 pm

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36694
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by Del » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:38 pm

Jocose wrote:Was the reformation necessary?


There is a funny story about a Protestant who wanted to convert to Orthodoxy. He runs up to an Orthodox priest and says: “I’m a Protestant, what must I do to become Orthodox?” The priest answered: “You must give up your Roman Catholicism!” The point here is that many of the problems in Protestant doctrine and worship reflect its origins in Roman Catholicism. It also reflects the fact that Western Christianity has broken from its patristic roots in the early Church. Another way of putting it is that Protestants are innocent victims of Rome’s errors and innovations.
As Thoth put, many some years ago:
We think you're all nuts.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 27879
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by coco » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:09 pm

Image
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20372
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by Jocose » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:23 pm

coco wrote:Image
Getting closer! Where's the OG pic?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 6086
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:24 pm

coco wrote:Image
:pie: :thumbsup:
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 32266
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by John-Boy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:46 pm

Jocose wrote:
coco wrote:Image
Getting closer! Where's the OG pic?
Nice
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20372
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by Jocose » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:53 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Jocose wrote:
coco wrote:Image
Getting closer! Where's the OG pic?
Nice
Image
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 27879
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by coco » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:32 am

Jocose wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Jocose wrote:
coco wrote:Image
Getting closer! Where's the OG pic?
Nice
Image
Thanks for finding that, Jo.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14300
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by Cleon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:55 am

This is hilarious. I'm forwarding to my pastor.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Cliff
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: A Galaxy Far, Far Away
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by Cliff » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:34 am

Here is an excerpt from DW tvnews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V00oY3tJXME

Enjoy the salute to Luther and Reformation Day.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOUR PIPE
What is a rebel?-A man who says No- Albert Camus

"I have set my course for uncharted seas." Paradisio, Canto II, v 9, Dante

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 12533
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by tuttle » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:05 am

Cleon wrote:
This is hilarious. I'm forwarding to my pastor.
Yeah that was great.

"Oh hello John Calvin Luther here wants to join my Reformation but he still wants to be a little half-way papist sissy baby" :lol: :lol:
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 12533
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by tuttle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:17 am

Reformation Day is next Tuesday, but Reformation Sunday is upcoming! I have the privilege to plan the music.

We'll be singing two Luther psalms, Psalm 100 to a Genevan tune, and highlighting Solus Christus by way of "In Christ Alone".
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36694
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by Del » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:40 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:05 am
Cleon wrote:
This is hilarious. I'm forwarding to my pastor.
Yeah that was great.

"Oh hello John Calvin Luther here wants to join my Reformation but he still wants to be a little half-way papist sissy baby" :lol: :lol:
I forgot how awesome this video was.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 27879
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by coco » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:43 am

Martin Luther wrote:You should not believe your conscience and your feelings more than the word which your Lord who receives sinners preaches to you.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36694
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by Del » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:20 am

Jocose wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:44 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Jocose wrote:Was the reformation necessary?


There is a funny story about a Protestant who wanted to convert to Orthodoxy. He runs up to an Orthodox priest and says: “I’m a Protestant, what must I do to become Orthodox?” The priest answered: “You must give up your Roman Catholicism!” The point here is that many of the problems in Protestant doctrine and worship reflect its origins in Roman Catholicism. It also reflects the fact that Western Christianity has broken from its patristic roots in the early Church. Another way of putting it is that Protestants are innocent victims of Rome’s errors and innovations.
When will you people accept responsibility for your own actions?
You people?
I am just a lowly, lower than dirt catechumen.
But when Rome started changing stuff like the Filioque and then adding stuff like papal supremacy, purgatory, indulgences, priests can not get married, Communion by bread alone and other weird stuff and not known prior what did they think was going to happen?
I'm not being nasty BTW, which I'm sure you already know.
Happy Halloween!
Point of order (even if it is a year late): The Orthodox still hold to the biblical standard that priests cannot get married.
- If a man is unmarried when he is ordained a priest, then he remains celibate.
- Likewise, if a married man is ordained a priest and his wife leaves him or dies, he does not marry another.

In Apostolic times, it was expected that a priest should live continence and abstain from sexual relations -- even if he was married. Of course, this resulted in some scandals as children were conceived.
- In the West, we resolved this by holding to the Apostolic rule for continence -- and choosing unmarried men to be priests.
- In the East, you changed the Apostolic practice -- and instituted a priestly fast from sexual relations for a short time before the celebration of the Divine Liturgy. Meanwhile, you still choose bishops for yourselves only from the unmarried priests.

The West does not object to the these disciplines as lived in the East. But it was the East who changed the Apostolic discipline of continence.

The important thing to note is that we can change the disciplines of our practice, while holding to the ancient and unchangeable truths of our faith.
- Leavened or unleavened bread?
- Receiving the Eucharist as Bread alone, or both Bread & Wine?
- Venerating of icons? Statues of Saints?

These various expressions of common faith should not be obstacles to our unity.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 12533
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Reformation Day!

Post by tuttle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:28 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:20 am
...the biblical standard that priests cannot get married.
False.

The biblical standard is that priests cannot get married to more than one wife.

(SOURCE!)
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Post Reply