Eucharist

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Which form of communion does your church use?

wafer and cup
39%
wafer and individual cup (pre-poured small plastic cup per individual)
50%
intinction
11%

Total votes: 18

BubbaJack
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Eucharist

Post by BubbaJack » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Out of curiousity, what is the method called in the Orthodox church where the body and the blood are put together in the Chalice and served from a spoon of sorts?

In our congregation, we most commonly use the method called Intinction where the host is taken and then dipped in the cup to be received together.

I realize that there are theological disagreements about whether other bodies than the two ancient churches actually have a valid/legal/licit Eucharist. Let us set that argument aside for a later time. :)
PaxChristi!
BubbaJack

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”
― C.S. Lewis

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:45 pm

Many in my church think Intinction will somehow give them bird flue. So we mostly do wafer/cup. Little do they know I don’t wash my hands when cutting the loaf and don’t cover when I sneeze on the tray of cups. :D

jo533281
like R2D2, just not as cool

Post by jo533281 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:08 pm

From a scientific standpoint so long as you are using wine with the Eucharist, there's very little reason to fear germs being spread from using the same cup. Wine is one of those things that can actually disinfect rather than foster further spread of germs. Germaphobes, you need not worry any more.
"This is not facebook, we are not here to boost your self esteem or hang on your every word." -Zed-

"It's all right, Andy! It's just bolognaise!"

Most Likely to Draw Pirates with a Post

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake

Re: Eucharist

Post by Thoth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:19 pm

BubbaJack wrote:Out of curiousity, what is the method called in the Orthodox church where the body and the blood are put together in the Chalice and served from a spoon of sorts?

In our congregation, we most commonly use the method called Intinction where the host is taken and then dipped in the cup to be received together.

I realize that there are theological disagreements about whether other bodies than the two ancient churches actually have a valid/legal/licit Eucharist. Let us set that argument aside for a later time. :)
Its also called intinction in the Orthodox church. Odd bit of liturgic trivia, of all the Orthodox jurisdictions both in the EO and OO, the Copts do not intincture, reason being that as Christ gave His Body and Blood separately at the last supper, they should be received as such by the faithful.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

BubbaJack
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by BubbaJack » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:28 pm

jo533281 wrote:From a scientific standpoint so long as you are using wine with the Eucharist, there's very little reason to fear germs being spread from using the same cup. Wine is one of those things that can actually disinfect rather than foster further spread of germs. Germaphobes, you need not worry any more.
Um, there was this Methodist t-totaler name Welch (oversimplification, but essentially true) that ruined the whole wine thing for us. Unfortunately.
PaxChristi!
BubbaJack

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”
― C.S. Lewis

Thoth

Post by Thoth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:32 pm

jo533281 wrote:From a scientific standpoint so long as you are using wine with the Eucharist, there's very little reason to fear germs being spread from using the same cup. Wine is one of those things that can actually disinfect rather than foster further spread of germs. Germaphobes, you need not worry any more.
Microbiologically speaking, not enough alcohol to kill all bacteria (or inactivate viruses) enough to act as a bacteriostat though, not a bacteriocide.

Thought there has never been a documented case of disease spread by sharing the communion spoon (or chalice depending on tradition). Also there has been studies to see the efficacy of transmission of disease via a shared chalice and the risks were found to be negligible. There were a lot of studies in regards to this in the late 80's due to the prevalence of HIV at the time.

Basically and most importantly, the Body and Blood of Christ will never the agent of disease.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Most high-church Anglicans receive the host and then a common cup, though one side of altar rail is served only by clergy for those preferring intinction who make up a small, but significant, minority. I fall into the former category.

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:44 pm

Thoth wrote:Basically and most importantly, the Body and Blood of Christ will never the agent of disease.
I'd never considered it before now, but that is an excellent point.

Rainman498
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rainman498 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:50 pm

We have a very old school priest who will place the wafer on your tongue as you say the "Amen", so dipping it is not an option.
"I don't understand how you can call yourself a Christian and lead such an idle, useless life. Have you forgotten Christ's life of toil?" - St. Josemaria Escriva

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Rainman498 wrote:We have a very old school priest who will place the wafer on your tongue as you say the "Amen", so dipping it is not an option.
Oh yeah. Some high-church Anglicans do that too. They don't look much different from the back, and the priest doesn't say, "The body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ keep you in eternal life," which is a dead giveaway for the intinction folks, so I forgot about them.
Last edited by colton on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:39 am

colton wrote:
Thoth wrote:Basically and most importantly, the Body and Blood of Christ will never the agent of disease.
How might the "No True Scotsman fallacy play out in such a situation? :wink:
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

jo533281

Post by jo533281 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:26 am

Skip wrote:
colton wrote:
Interesting point. How might one argue then that the Body of Christ would not be an agent for disease (even if we went ahead and for the sake of the argument said this was a fact)?
"This is not facebook, we are not here to boost your self esteem or hang on your every word." -Zed-

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:28 am

Our bishop has asked our priests to reserve the Precious Blood for rare and special occasions, in accord with the short list of events approved by the Council of Trent and re-appointed by Vatican II.

The practice of weekly or daily presentation of the Precious Blood was a special permission granted to the bishops of America. The permission has long since expired, and we have not experienced the hoped-for increase in devotion to the Eucharist.

I hope we can restore the Precious Blood to our Liturgy some day, like the Orthodox do. But modern, lukewarm Catholics are not ready for It.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:41 am

jruegg wrote:Many in my church think Intinction will somehow give them bird flue. So we mostly do wafer/cup. Little do they know I don’t wash my hands when cutting the loaf and don’t cover when I sneeze on the tray of cups. :D
:lol:
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Thoth

Post by Thoth » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:13 am

Skip wrote:
colton wrote:
So what you're saying if you get sick from the Eucharist it was never the true prescence of the life giving Body and precious Blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ given to us and to many for salvation, remission of sin, and eternal life for those who partake of Him.

Yep that sounds about right :wink:

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:18 am

Thoth wrote:
Skip wrote:
colton wrote:
So what you're saying if you get sick from the Eucharist it was never the true prescence of the life giving Body and precious Blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ given to us and to many for salvation, remission of sin, and eternal life for those who partake of Him.

Contrawise, Paul wrote about many at Corinth were getting sick because they were doing it wrong.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Del

Post by Del » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:22 am

gaining_age wrote:
Thoth wrote:
Skip wrote:
colton wrote:

Contrawise, Paul wrote about many at Corinth were getting sick because they were doing it wrong.
BAM! You beat me to it!
In 1 Cor 11, St. Paul wrote:27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:50 am

Skip wrote:
colton wrote:
Heh. I like the answers proffered thus far, but I was just going to say that the need would be unlikely to arise. I can't seriously imagine a situation in which pathologists could conclusively say that a disease spread via the elements and not something else. It'd be tough to prove.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:56 am

Pet peeve:
It should taste like bread, not cardboard

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

jo533281

Post by jo533281 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:14 am

coco wrote:Pet peeve:
It should taste like bread, not cardboard

Correction. It should be bread, not cardboard. :D