Eucharist

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Which form of communion does your church use?

wafer and cup
39%
wafer and individual cup (pre-poured small plastic cup per individual)
50%
intinction
11%

Total votes: 18

BubbaJack
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by BubbaJack » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:22 am

jo533281 wrote:
coco wrote:Pet peeve:
It should taste like bread, not cardboard

Correction. It should be bread, not cardboard. :D
Wait...shouldn't it have BEEN bread, BE the presence of God and taste good?
PaxChristi!
BubbaJack

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”
― C.S. Lewis

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:22 am

I don't care what it tastes like, as long as it's Real.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:28 am

BubbaJack wrote:
jo533281 wrote:

From an RC perspective, the accidents of pseudo-bread cardboard remain that of pseudo-bread cardboard, while the essence is changed to that of the actual body of Christ.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:30 am

Del wrote:
In 1 Cor 11, St. Paul wrote:27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.
Something about this verse has bugged me for a while. Doesn't this indicate a rather literal belief in "eternal life"? It reads to me like he's saying "if you eat and drink worthily then you'll never get sick and never die".
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Del

Post by Del » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

infidel wrote:
Del wrote:
In 1 Cor 11, St. Paul wrote:27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.
Something about this verse has bugged me for a while. Doesn't this indicate a rather literal belief in "eternal life"? It reads to me like he's saying "if you eat and drink worthily then you'll never get sick and never die".
In the first decades of Christianity, they believed that Jesus would return in their lifetimes. When a few years passed and some Christians began to die of natural causes, this was initially a cause for concern.

Paul attritributes the physical sickness and death to be a symptoms of a serious spiritual disorders -- failing to believe in the Presence of Christ or receiving Him unworthily.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:21 pm

Del wrote:
infidel wrote:
Del wrote:
In the first decades of Christianity, they believed that Jesus would return in their lifetimes. When a few years passed and some Christians began to die of natural causes, this was initially a cause for concern.

Paul attritributes the physical sickness and death to be a symptoms of a serious spiritual disorders -- failing to believe in the Presence of Christ or receiving Him unworthily.
So Paul was wrong?

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

Del

Post by Del » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:45 pm

infidel wrote:
Del wrote:
infidel wrote:
Del wrote:

So Paul was wrong?
Not really.... Paul knew that Jesus would come again. It just took some time to fully understand that the coming would not be right away.

I hesitate to use the word "wrong" to describe anyone who grows from basic understanding into fuller understanding.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Del wrote:Not really.... Paul knew that Jesus would come again. It just took some time to fully understand that the coming would not be right away.

I hesitate to use the word "wrong" to describe anyone who grows from basic understanding into fuller understanding.
This is the first time since Kerdy imploded that I wish he were around :-P

jo533281
like R2D2, just not as cool

Post by jo533281 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:14 pm

coco wrote:
BubbaJack wrote:
jo533281 wrote:

From an RC perspective, the accidents of pseudo-bread cardboard remain that of pseudo-bread cardboard, while the essence is changed to that of the actual body of Christ.
I only meant that it should actually be made from bread and not some silly pieces of cardboard lookalikes in a box. I always thought that was silly. We Orthies still bake our bread ourselves in our own churches (or at someone's home if a church has not a stove). Even my former Methodist Church cut bread into cubes.
"This is not facebook, we are not here to boost your self esteem or hang on your every word." -Zed-

"It's all right, Andy! It's just bolognaise!"

Most Likely to Draw Pirates with a Post

graperonto
Usher
Usher

Post by graperonto » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:40 pm

At my church it's not a wafer. We have a common loaf which we rip out of. We then have individual cups.

Intinction (what we used to call the "rip and dip" is supposedly no longer sanitary so we now opt for the individual cups.

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:42 pm

coco wrote:
BubbaJack wrote:
jo533281 wrote:

Nonetheless go Orthodox and you avoid this problem (i.e. cardboard tasting Eucharist) :wink:
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Del

Post by Del » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Communion bread is prepared by 18 little nuns in a quiet, cloisterd monastery nestled in the Wisconsin Dells.

That is all.

BubbaJack
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by BubbaJack » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:02 pm

jo533281 wrote:
coco wrote:
BubbaJack wrote:
jo533281 wrote:

I only meant that it should actually be made from bread and not some silly pieces of cardboard lookalikes in a box. I always thought that was silly. We Orthies still bake our bread ourselves in our own churches (or at someone's home if a church has not a stove). Even my former Methodist Church cut bread into cubes.
See, now I am a seminary trained Methodist and I remember distinctly being taught that it was improper to use a knife on the bread that was to be consecrated. If you wonder why, just think about it to yourself for a moment.... "Why wouldn't I want to run a knife through what is about to be... OH YEAH!"

Further than that, isn't there a stigma in Middle Eastern culture against using a knife on bread of any kind anyway?

No cubist Jesus here thank you. We still use Intinction or the "rip and dip" (I feel so cheap now) method. No one in my church has ever caught anything.

Another thought....Did any of you see the research about wine in a gold or gold plated cup causing a hostile environment for bacteria? Here is where I saw something about it:

http://community.discovery.com/eve/foru ... 6631945459
PaxChristi!
BubbaJack

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”
― C.S. Lewis

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:34 pm

colton wrote:
Skip wrote:
colton wrote:
Thoth wrote:Basically and most importantly, the Body and Blood of Christ will never the agent of disease.
I'd never considered it before now, but that is an excellent point.
How might the "No True Scotsman fallacy play out in such a situation? :wink:
Heh. I like the answers proffered thus far, but I was just going to say that the need would be unlikely to arise. I can't seriously imagine a situation in which pathologists could conclusively say that a disease spread via the elements and not something else. It'd be tough to prove.
"No True Pathologist"?

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:45 pm

BubbaJack wrote:See, now I am a seminary trained Methodist and I remember distinctly being taught that it was improper to use a knife on the bread that was to be consecrated. If you wonder why, just think about it to yourself for a moment.... "Why wouldn't I want to run a knife through what is about to be... OH YEAH!"

Further than that, isn't there a stigma in Middle Eastern culture against using a knife on bread of any kind anyway?

No cubist Jesus here thank you. We still use Intinction or the "rip and dip" (I feel so cheap now) method. No one in my church has ever caught anything.

Another thought....Did any of you see the research about wine in a gold or gold plated cup causing a hostile environment for bacteria? Here is where I saw something about it:

I read this thinking it was Skip and I did this: 8O
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Skip

Post by Skip » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:47 pm

Oh, and to answer the question - and this has been covered before in here somewhere. Feel free to search. Look for "McCommunion" or "The Last Happy Meal" which is what I consider the approach my present church uses. First Sunday of the month we pull out the pre-packaged grape-juice-pretending-it's-wine-and-styrofoam-masquerading-as-unleavened-bread capsules and pretend that we're sharing communion.

I don't partake. Without putting too much thought into it, I feel that it is inappropriate at best.

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:34 pm

Skip wrote:
colton wrote:
Skip wrote:
colton wrote:
Thoth wrote:Basically and most importantly, the Body and Blood of Christ will never the agent of disease.
I'd never considered it before now, but that is an excellent point.
How might the "No True Scotsman fallacy play out in such a situation? :wink:
Heh. I like the answers proffered thus far, but I was just going to say that the need would be unlikely to arise. I can't seriously imagine a situation in which pathologists could conclusively say that a disease spread via the elements and not something else. It'd be tough to prove.
"No True Pathologist"?
No true pathology?

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:53 pm

None of the above.

We used a baked loaf that everyone tears from and wine is served from individual glasses taken from a tray. I wish there was at least a symbolic pouring from one cup. There is no dipping of the bread in the wine. It's a no-no for the same reason Thoth mentioned earlier.

Washing all the glasses is tedious but I'd rather do that than use plastic.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

jo533281

Post by jo533281 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:07 pm

BubbaJack wrote:
jo533281 wrote:
coco wrote:
BubbaJack wrote:
jo533281 wrote:

See, now I am a seminary trained Methodist and I remember distinctly being taught that it was improper to use a knife on the bread that was to be consecrated. If you wonder why, just think about it to yourself for a moment.... "Why wouldn't I want to run a knife through what is about to be... OH YEAH!"

The Orthodox priest does use a knife when cutting the bread (before the consecration, I believe). And this knife looks much like a the end of a spear (biblical reference anyone?) for obvious reasons.
"This is not facebook, we are not here to boost your self esteem or hang on your every word." -Zed-

"It's all right, Andy! It's just bolognaise!"

Most Likely to Draw Pirates with a Post

BubbaJack
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by BubbaJack » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:16 pm

BubbaJack wrote:

As I went back and read my post it made me sound like an elitist A$$.
1. I don't hold my education to make me better than any other man who is trying to serve or know God.
2. The statement was packed with the thought, "The religious teaching that was shared with me in a formal setting, along with a great MANY other Methodist preachers, was that it was a "no no" to cut the loaf with a knife for the Eucharist."
3. I was responding to jo53321's history of attending one of our churches where a knife was used. I don't know where they learned to do this, but it is different than what I was taught.
4. We were also taught that once the elements were consecrated they were to be consumed or at the very least broken up and placed on the grass where people don't walk so that the birds might eat the bread. Any unconsumed liquid is poured on the cornerstone of our church building, never down the sink or in the trash. The very top of the list best thing to do is to take what was left from the table to those who are shut-in.

I went to the same school as a couple of the other fellas here, but 15 years ago.

The only "Methodist" prohibition that I can think might differ greatly from some of the other Denoms present is that communion isn't to be reserved to be worshiped after the service. Wesley wrote that one. It was one of his reactionary beliefs.
PaxChristi!
BubbaJack

― C.S. Lewis