Anything but broccoli

Re: Secularism/Modernity

Post by elimtaft » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:51 pm

Skip wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:46 pm
<rubs hands together and cracks knuckles ominously>
:prayin:
A Word Is Worth A Thousand Pictures

Dort wo Du einen Pfeifenraucher siehst, findest Du einen guten Freund.

Broccoli over mushrooms.

StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StoicDetective » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:56 pm

I think I am on line of this possibly be a Hijack, now. Mods & Admins, if this need to be moved so be it.
elimtaft wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:12 pm
StoicDetective wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 am

1) can the 'faith' of an individual christian be separated from the church (institution/administration meaning, not 'body of believers')?
i.e. It could be defined that CPS is a loose knit body of believers, but not a church in the institutional form. If an outsider/non-believer were to peal back the layers what would they find and would it positively influence a positive decision toward the Christian faith?
CPS is not a church. Is that what you're asking? It's also not THE church. But its members are members of THE church. Some of us have different views about what THE church is. I'd say its the body of Christ, comprised of "as many as received Him", to whome "He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name" (John 1:12).
You got where I was/am going with the above. The lexicon of the word church can be very ambiguous, both internal and external to the body of believers. As you have demonstrated above. i.e. "What church do you attend?" "The church of Jesus" just wouldn't work for answer. However if one was to answer, "The Hinn Koresh Westboro Baptist Campus." A whole can of worms gets opened. (Yes I am using extremes) <- read church here as institutional.

Internal to the faith; what and how have we drifted (if at all) from the early church (Pauline era, pre-Nicene Council) to the current state of the church. <- read church here as body of believers, not institutional.

Trying to tie this back to the original post: I think in our current use of the word 'church' we have to be able to delineate between 'church' the institution and 'church' the body of believers, when conversing with those of our faith and outside of the faith. i.e. If I attended a church that married homosexual couples and a non-believer points that out. I have to be able to explain the the difference between the 'churches' and my faith.
"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:07 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:38 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:07 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS