Moderator: tuttle

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Re: I Have Started a Theology Thread

Post by A_Morley » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:45 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:07 pm
Quite a significant thing He said here, speaking to the Pharisees, who had quite a lot of theological training:

"If you were blind, you should have no sin: but now you say, 'We see'; therefore your sin remains." ~ John 9:41

To some, theology is held onto tightly, as if it were money in the bank. Part of the script from the Eastwood western film Unforgiven illustrates this

Schofield Kid: "Go on. Keep it [the reward money]. All of it. It's yours."

William Munny: "What about the spectacles and the fancy clothes?"

Schofield Kid: "I guess I'd rather be blind and ragged, than dead."
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:24 am

+JMJ+
Goose55 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:12 am
I'm saying that theology, held onto too tightly can be unhealthy. Eugene Peterson paraphrases John 9 in his The Message (MSG), even clearer......

"Those who have made a great pretense of seeing will be exposed as blind.” Some Pharisees overheard him and said, “Does that mean you’re calling us blind?” Jesus said, “If you were really blind, you would be blameless, but since you claim to see everything so well, you’re accountable for every fault and failure.”

"The farther I go, the less I know." ~ Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu
Does that mean that your loosening your "tight hold" on Annihilationism?

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:35 am

wosbald wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:24 am
+JMJ+
Goose55 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:12 am
I'm saying that theology, held onto too tightly can be unhealthy. Eugene Peterson paraphrases John 9 in his The Message (MSG), even clearer......

"Those who have made a great pretense of seeing will be exposed as blind.” Some Pharisees overheard him and said, “Does that mean you’re calling us blind?” Jesus said, “If you were really blind, you would be blameless, but since you claim to see everything so well, you’re accountable for every fault and failure.”

"The farther I go, the less I know." ~ Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu
Does that mean that your loosening your "tight hold" on Annihilationism?
Yes. Just holding that just as loosely as I do eternal torment
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:38 am

This thread has been unlocked following deletion of offending posts (and the post calling them out for being offensive).

Keep it kosher, gentlemen, lest the locks be ignored and the warnings be issued.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:55 am

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:02 am

A_Morley wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:55 am
Remove the Anglo and you have my views.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Skip

Post by Skip » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:04 am

Skip wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:38 am
This thread has been unlocked following deletion of offending posts (and the post calling them out for being offensive).

Keep it kosher, gentlemen, lest the locks be ignored and the warnings be issued.
P.S. Thus sayeth the Council of Hats.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:31 am

+JMJ+
Skip wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:38 am
This thread has been unlocked …

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:00 am

Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:46 pm

My generation's Catholics are coming to prefer Latin and chant.

I will never forgive, never forgive the baby boomers who took it away in the first place. I want it all put back and I want to see the paunchy, white haired Peter Pans squirm and see their obsolescence become manifest. I want to go the the deathbed of every folk mass priest, every bishop who "went with the times," every suburban RCIA instructor so that I can hiss Latin curses and incantations in their dying ears so that they will leave this world knowing that, though they tried to ruin it for us all, they were not successful in remaking the world in their own image. I want every single boomer who ever dared consider that they knew what was best for the world and the church to know that they were wrong and that they die hated. They die more hated than any generation before them. Hated by their children, and their children's children, and their children's children's children.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:33 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:46 pm

I will never forgive, never forgive the baby boomers who took it away in the first place. I want it all put back and I want to see the paunchy, white haired Peter Pans squirm and see their obsolescence become manifest. I want to go the the deathbed of every folk mass priest, every bishop who "went with the times," every suburban RCIA instructor so that I can hiss Latin curses and incantations in their dying ears so that they will leave this world knowing that, though they tried to ruin it for us all, they were not successful in remaking the world in their own image. I want every single boomer who ever dared consider that they knew what was best for the world and the church to know that they were wrong and that they die hated. They die more hated than any generation before them. Hated by their children, and their children's children, and their children's children's children.
Aye.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:28 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:33 pm
A_Morley wrote:

Aye.
Christmas vigil Mass at our parish had many visitors.... It is fun to watch them trying to figure out the Introit chant, the Kyrie and the Agnus Dei, the incense at Offertory, the priest facing ad orientem, the communion rail, the girls and women in chapel veils, and multitude of the little children behaving so quietly.

I wonder if they missed the "song leader" at all?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:27 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:28 pm
hugodrax wrote:
A_Morley wrote:

Aye.
Christmas vigil Mass at our parish had many visitors.... It is fun to watch them trying to figure out the Introit chant, the Kyrie and the Agnus Dei, the incense at Offertory, the priest facing ad orientem, the communion rail, the girls and women in chapel veils, and multitude of the little children behaving so quietly.

Too little too late, you dough faced milquetoast. I recall too many occasions in which you attempted, in your blandly self righteous way, to persuade me of the value of contemporary ceremonial. An occasion from December of 2010 still stands out in my mind. Yes, I actually remember the things you say and can call them readily to mind. It's one of the things that makes it so easy for me to dislike you.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Skip

Post by Skip » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:20 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
A_Morley wrote:

Aye.

Too little too late, you dough faced milquetoast. I recall too many occasions in which you attempted, in your blandly self righteous way, to persuade me of the value of contemporary ceremonial. An occasion from December of 2010 still stands out in my mind. Yes, I actually remember the things you say and can call them readily to mind. It's one of the things that makes it so easy for me to dislike you.
You shouldn't have taken that short haitus from posting here; you could've been a no-vote-necessary win for Curmudgeon of the Year.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:23 pm

Skip wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:20 pm
A_Morley wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
A_Morley wrote:

Aye.

You shouldn't have taken that short haitus from posting here; you could've been a no-vote-necessary win for Curmudgeon of the Year.
And rob you of such glory? Perish the thought.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Del

Post by Del » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:45 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
A_Morley wrote:

Aye.

I am indeed a dough-faced milquetoast.

A previous version of my dough-faced self played guitar and banjo in the folk-Mass band. Everything you say about the dreadful things my generation has done to violate our worship -- I can verify by my own guilt. I genuinely deserve your disdain and dislike.

By the grace of God, both of us are wiser than we were in 2010.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:51 pm

My middle daughter started an elbow fight in the Mary Chapel after mass tonight. In disgrace, she is. Peace to people of goodwill and eff my sister, apparently.

Skip

Post by Skip » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:48 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:51 pm
My middle daughter started an elbow fight in the Mary Chapel after mass tonight. In disgrace, she is. Peace to people of goodwill and eff my sister, apparently.
This has caused me to laugh out loud at least thrice today.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:57 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS