Moderator: tuttle

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:05 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:WE WANT THE FUNK

GIVE UP THE FUNK
Gotta love Parliament
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:33 pm

coco wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:WE WANT THE FUNK

GIVE UP THE FUNK
Gotta love Parliament
I suppose George is the most popular Clinton on CPS.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:32 pm

What do you think of this:
Between what the words of the Bible say, and what abides in the infinite mind of the Creator, there exists an ISOMORPHISM. This is a congruity of form such that what is knowable to us is MAPPABLE to the information that exists in perfection in the mind of God, where there is infinitely more to know and each idea is infinitely more complex than what the Creator has made known to us. As God knows all things, there are no categories, systems of truth, or separable ideas. All things merge into one complete yet personal awareness. Since we finite beings can only know truth in parts, and must relate those parts with one another merging them into manageable ideas, God has made himself known in such a manner to us.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:56 pm

coco wrote:What do you think of this:
Between what the words of the Bible say, and what abides in the infinite mind of the Creator, there exists an ISOMORPHISM. This is a congruity of form such that what is knowable to us is MAPPABLE to the information that exists in perfection in the mind of God, where there is infinitely more to know and each idea is infinitely more complex than what the Creator has made known to us. As God knows all things, there are no categories, systems of truth, or separable ideas. All things merge into one complete yet personal awareness. Since we finite beings can only know truth in parts, and must relate those parts with one another merging them into manageable ideas, God has made himself known in such a manner to us.
We were having a productive discussion about belly buttons, now this? Can we stay on track there Coco? <redacted_emoji>

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:01 pm

dasmokeryaget wrote:
We were having a productive discussion about belly buttons, now this? Can we stay on track there Coco? <redacted_emoji>
STAY ON TARGET!
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:32 pm

I abhor to notion of putting salt on celery.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

SmokinGordon
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)

Post by SmokinGordon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:50 pm

dasmokeryaget wrote:
J

I agree! I hate it when I'm contemplating my navel and some other body part interrupts and changes the subject!
When I grow up, I want to look like Mrs. Coco's grandpa. :D
Del: "If I only wanted to smoke it once in awhile, I'd just buy a cigar"

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:54 pm

SmokinGordon wrote:
dasmokeryaget wrote:
J

I agree! I hate it when I'm contemplating my navel and some other body part interrupts and changes the subject!
Please keep such bodily interruptions to yourself.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:00 pm

I do not like celery.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:08 pm

We were never sure if Jeannie had a navel or not.

“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:14 pm

CodeMonkey wrote:We were never sure if Jeannie had a navel or not.

Wow, I never noticed that. I tend to overlook small details when sharply focused on the larger picture.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:19 pm

CodeMonkey wrote:We were never sure if Jeannie had a navel or not.

Really? That was what you were interested in?

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:24 pm

I think this writer imagines that the Bible is a completeness of everything that God wants us to know. As much as God wants us to understand anything, it is found in the Bible.

I don't know why he thinks this, since Jesus made no such claim about the Bible, and the Bible makes such a claim about itself.

As to the bolded part: B-(as in B) and S-(as in S). God made the categories of things. Truth and false, beasts and rational creatures, material and spiritual. It is strained metaphysical gymnastics to imagine that the reality which God made for our understanding is not the reality which God made.

God made eggs with a shell, a white, and a yolk. And God can tell these apart just as well as we can. There is no need to scramble an egg in order to see the egg as God sees it. And there is no need to scramble one's brain to see the egg as God sees it!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:37 pm

Del wrote:
I think this writer imagines that the Bible is a completeness of everything that God wants us to know. As much as God wants us to understand anything, it is found in the Bible.

I don't know why he thinks this, since Jesus made no such claim about the Bible, and the Bible makes such a claim about itself.

As to the bolded part: B-(as in B) and S-(as in S). God made the categories of things. Truth and false, beasts and rational creatures, material and spiritual. It is strained metaphysical gymnastics to imagine that the reality which God made for our understanding is not the reality which God made.

God made eggs with a shell, a white, and a yolk. And God can tell these apart just as well as we can. There is no need to scramble an egg in order to see the egg as God sees it. And there is no need to scramble one's brain to see the egg as God sees it!
Feel free to step in, Wos.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:01 pm

A_Morley wrote:I abhor to notion of putting salt on celery.
Agreed. Sounds ridiculous.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:12 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
A_Morley wrote:I abhor to notion of putting salt on celery.
Agreed. Sounds ridiculous.
What about celery salt? How is a tasteless vegetable can become a seasoning?

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Del wrote:

Damn skippy. I hate agreeing with Del, but there you are.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:22 pm

coco wrote:
Del wrote:

Please.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:48 pm

dasmokeryaget wrote:
coco wrote:
Del wrote:

Please.
Well, what do you guys (coco and Das) think of that quote?

I have mixed thoughts on it. I certainly agree with Del in that the Bible cannot and is not intended to be the sole keeper of knowledge concerning the salvation of mankind. In fact, I believe that creation to include human philosophy can help us know the Word much like the written word can. Of course the Word itself who is Truth does require revelation and the Bible reveals a great deal of that. In fact, the Bible is the Chief Tradition that shares with us that revelation of the Word. In the hierarchy of all systems and categories, the Bible ranks them all. Of course, we must not place the Bible ahead of the Holy Trinity itself our our special relationship with it.

On the other hand, I completely agree with the idea, that in fact, God does not think in categories or systems of truth. That it is us men that are limited to such means and that we do in fact require revelation to know that which God means for us to know about Him and our salvation. So we need the Bible, we need systems of theology and philosophy, we need Holy Traditions, we need God's creation to help us know that we have a creator. And chiefly, we need the revelation of the Word who became flesh for us. God is so awesome, in many ways beyond our ability to understand. Thank God that He gave us His Word, his prophets, His Traditions and the Bible! It helps us a great deal to know what we need to know.

Del

Post by Del » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:28 am

serapion wrote:Mary.
Indeed!

Mary makes our crosses sweet.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon