CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: A Coming Persecution

Post by UncleBob » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:19 pm

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
Kerdy wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Kerdy wrote:
Hovannes wrote:As much as I dislike Alex Jones, this is a credible list of lies told by the current administration
http://www.infowars.com/252-documented- ... nyism-etc/
Thing is, this behavior has been accepted by the media and largely unaddressed by the two other branches of government.
The bottom line is----
A sitting US President can persecute his political opponents through the IRS.
A sitting US President can pick and choose which laws he wishes to have enforced.
A sitting US President can enact laws independent of Congress.
The precedent is already set.
What forms of oppression will the next President cook up?
This doesn't inspire confidence, does it?
Political persecution? This could be an endless topic of discussion. I just have to figure out where to begin. I topic worthy of exchange to be certain, especially these days.
Kerdy, the kulturkampf was possibly even very likely, a foreshadowing of what is going on today in the US. religious persecution and political persecution aren't far apart.
Indeed, they are bedfellows. What I find interesting is the ones doing the most persecuting are the ones demanding equality.
Equality, absolutely applied, is a form of persecution. It persecutes personal dignity and is a crime against humanity.
How so?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

TomT_90GT
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by TomT_90GT » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:06 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Kerdy wrote: What I find interesting is the ones doing the most persecuting are the ones demanding equality.
Equality, absolutely applied, is a form of persecution. It persecutes personal dignity and is a crime against humanity.
How so?[/quote]

Bob, maybe terms need to be better defined. Guaranteeing equal OPPORTUNITY to all is good, guaranteeing EQUALITY a to all depends on forced redistribution or quotas based on demographics without respect to talent, abilities, or effort. Would you agree in principal with that (at least the gist if not the exact wording)?

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:45 pm

TomT_90GT wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Kerdy wrote: What I find interesting is the ones doing the most persecuting are the ones demanding equality.
How so?
Bob, maybe terms need to be better defined. Guaranteeing equal OPPORTUNITY to all is good, guaranteeing EQUALITY a to all depends on forced redistribution or quotas based on demographics without respect to talent, abilities, or effort. Would you agree in principal with that (at least the gist if not the exact wording)?
My aim in this thread is to understand this mindset, rather than argue with it. I will point out that guaranteeing equality does not necessarily mean people are hired without repect to their talents, abilities, or effort, IMO. I work in a small division with five total people. I am the only white guy while the others are all black (two men, two women). I am paid the most but my position requires the most education, as well. The division manager (my boss, a black fellow) is the hardest working person I know.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

TomT_90GT
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by TomT_90GT » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:48 pm

Bob, sounds reasonable to me. As Justice is (at least supposed to be) blind, so should hiring, entrance to colleges, etc be. Working in govt, I see this ridiculous idea that every branch/dept should reflect the general population demographics. Horse feathers! That would be like saying every NBA or NFL team should do the same! Hiring should reflect the demographics of the qualified population.

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:41 am

"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:45 am

“Immediately cease use of property in an R-2 zone for commercial use,” the order read. “Cease operating a summer glee camp @100/camper in a residential district. This is not an allowable use here.”

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:44 am

Persecution of Christians reached record high in 2014. Will 2015 be worse?

http://jonathanmerritt.religionnews.com ... 015-worse/

Be not surprised it Muslims, extreme and moderate, driving most of the persecution of Christians
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:59 am

And from the non-Muslim sector:

North Korea public executions for merely possessing a Bivle.

http://www.jewsnews.co.il/2014/06/23/no ... ng-bibles/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... a-films-b/
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:47 am

Boko Haram at it again. Thousands of Christians dead in the streets.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... geria.html

Very few in the news media will tell you these 2000 were Christian. Why's that?

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:38 am

hogleg wrote:Persecution of Christians reached record high in 2014. Will 2015 be worse?

Be not surprised it Muslims, extreme and moderate, driving most of the persecution of Christians
You bet! Have you been paying attention to Jewish persecution in Europe? Scary!
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:47 am

+JMJ+
Kerdy wrote:
hogleg wrote:Persecution of Christians reached record high in 2014. Will 2015 be worse?

Or maybe the sanctity of Christian lands are being parasitically used as staging grounds for Jewish/Moslem animosity. Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right and all that jazz.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:05 pm

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
Kerdy wrote:

Or maybe the sanctity of Christian lands are being parasitically used as staging grounds for Jewish/Moslem animosity. Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right and all that jazz.
It usually starts with the Jews and moves outward. There is only one thing the world hates more than Catholics...Jews. Evil is getting more bold each day.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:46 pm

Russian Man Faces a Year in Prison For Denying the Existence of God Online
After expressing his lack of belief in God on social media, a Russian man was arrested and charged with “offending the feelings of believers”. Victor Krasnov is now on trial and facing up to a year in prison for writing things like “there is no God” and “the Bible is a collection of Jewish fairy tales” during an online discussion on the Russian social networking website Vk.com.
Man! If this catches on, I'm screwed!

:chili:

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:34 pm

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:00 pm

UncleBob wrote:Russian Man Faces a Year in Prison For Denying the Existence of God Online
After expressing his lack of belief in God on social media, a Russian man was arrested and charged with “offending the feelings of believers”. Victor Krasnov is now on trial and facing up to a year in prison for writing things like “there is no God” and “the Bible is a collection of Jewish fairy tales” during an online discussion on the Russian social networking website Vk.com.

Me too.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:00 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
UncleBob wrote:Russian Man Faces a Year in Prison For Denying the Existence of God Online

Me too.
Orthodox history, starting with monastic orders is riddled with personality cultism. I was Orthodox for ten years and saw enough at the edges of that religion to give me pause. Obedience to certain holy men, abbots, bishops and the like are quite intensive at times. Russia has been the most Orthodox county in the world and it was also quite isolationist during the most formative years in Europe. They largely bypassed the enlightenment and finally in the 19th century they went from serfdom to industrialism almost overnight. The personality cult ended up changing from religious zealotry and isolationism to communist zealotry. They still can't figure it out. The pendulum swings between the extreme of state backed Orthodoxy and fear of state controlled communist atheism.

Does America have her own personality cults that they are willing to follow into chaos? I used to think we were too enlightened for that. But here we are with Trump and Hillary. :egor:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:54 am

+JMJ+

LatAm debunks persistent myth about anti-Christian persecution [News Analysis]
Friends and family carry the coffin with the body of Jose Esteban Sevilla Medina, who died after he was shot in the chest at a barricade during an attack by the police and paramilitary forces, in Masaya, Nicaragua, Monday, July 16, 2018. (Credit: AP Photo/Cristobal Venegas.)

Nicaragua and Venezuela are both strongly Catholic countries, yet in both today anti-Christian persecution is on rise -- showing it's a myth that Christians are at risk only where they're a minority.

Recent developments in the Central American nations of Nicaragua and Venezuela both offer not only sobering indications about the direction of those societies, but also a thorough debunking of one of the most persistent myths about anti-Christian persecution in the early 21st century.

Since the subject first arose as a matter of political and media chatter in the 1990s, conversation about anti-Christian persecution has gone through several phases of denial.

[…]

The remaining type of denial, and one that’s proven surprisingly enduring, is that Christians are at risk of persecution only where they’re a minority. In largely Christian societies, or so the myth goes, individual Christians ought to be safe - and if they’re not, whatever they’re suffering isn’t really “religious” persecution.

Even a moment’s reflection, however, is enough to demonstrate that it’s not just places where Christians are a minority that form the front lines of this war, and it never has been.

[…]

Today, Latin America is once more in the forefront of exposing the “only a minority” myth, due to literal violence in Nicaragua and mounting political and legal harassment in Venezuela.

Yesterday, Crux’s Inés San Martín offered a chilling tick-tock of recent attacks on Church personnel or sites in Nicaragua, where forces loyal to Sandinista President Daniel Ortega and his wife, Vice President Rosario Murillo, are increasingly inclined to see Catholic clergy and activits as the enemy.

• On Tuesday, according to the auxiliary bishop of Managua, the country’s capital, the neighborhood of Monimbo in the southeast city of Masaya was under attack. He said gunfire reached the parish of St. Mary Magdalene, where a Catholic priest was seeking refuge.
  • On Saturday, the Divine Mercy Church in Managua was under siege for 16 hours. It had become a refuge for students who, while protesting at a nearby university, were attacked by pro-government forces. Pictures posted to social media showed the church had been pockmarked by bullets.
  • On Sunday, the car of a bishop was shot at as he was on his way to the northern city of Nindiri, where he had hoped to stop an attack by the military. He wasn’t wounded, but the tires and windows of the car were destroyed.
  • On the same day, the house of a priest in Masaya was ransacked by the police. Belongings were taken with no explanation given.
  • On Monday, a center of the papal charity Caritas was set aflame in the northern city of Sébaco.
  • On July 9, a cardinal, a bishop and the papal representative were among clergy from Managua attacked as they attempted to protect St. Sebastian Basilica in the nearby city of Diriamba from a pro-government mob.

In Venezuela, meanwhile, the country’s bishops emerged undaunted from their July 7-11 general assembly, calling the government of President Nicolás Maduro no more than a “de facto regime” due to its failures to respect both the national constitution and also the “highest principles of the dignity of the people.”

While so far there have been few incidents of violent attacks on Catholic targets, in January Maduro called on prosecutors to charge two Catholic bishops with “hate crimes” for delivering homilies in which they denounced widening hunger and corruption. The hate crimes statute he invoked, by the way, had been adopted by a legislature the bishops have denounced as illegitimate, and the law has been denounced by human rights groups as a tool for clamping down on political opposition.

No formal charges against the bishops ensued, but it was a clear signal the government is watching. One of the prelates, Archbishop Antonio López Castillo of Barquisimeto, later said he’d received a phone call of support from Pope Francis.

[…]

What recent developments confirm is that anywhere Christians profess their faith openly, anywhere they take controversial stands in favor of social justice and human rights on the basis of their convictions, they are exposed to danger. Indeed, martyrdom is at least as likely where Christians are in the majority, for the simple reason that it’s more probable that the activists and voices of conscience who stir opposition will be Christians.

Put differently, the core truth of Christian life remains as true in the 21st century as it was in the first: The Gospel is always disruptive, so anyone who takes it seriously and is willing to put his or her life on the line for it isn’t likely to have guarantees of safety, no matter where they live.
Last edited by wosbald on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:56 am

wos - I like this avatar. Sweet Christogram!

:taco:

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:04 am

+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:56 am

Thanx!

Well, that's one fer and one agin.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:53 am

wosbald wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:04 am
+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:56 am

Thanx!

Well, that's one fer and one agin.
Make it anotha ver.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year