For those deep thinkers out there.
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

When You Die..

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:32 pm

..what kind of funeral? Here's what I want:

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: When You Die..

Post by wosbald » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:50 pm

+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:..what kind of funeral? Here's what I want:

You want to burn like the heathen kings of old?

ImageImage

"For this reason, on June 1, 1951 … we did speak of the right of people to migrate, which right is founded in the very nature of land."
— Pope Pius XII, Exsul Familia Nazarethana

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:54 pm

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+

You want to burn like the heathen kings of old?
When I kick off, I want a 3 day party followed by a boat, an archer, and plenty of mead.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:14 pm

If the occasion of my death is foreseeable, I plan to have JimVH bobbleheads for the first 100 attendees to my funeral. If less than 100 attend, you'll be able to find them for a steal on ebay the next day. Afterwards, I've instructed my family to throw a big BBQ.

Going out on a burning boat does seem kind of cool, though.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:21 pm

JimVH wrote:If the occasion of my death is foreseeable, I plan to have JimVH bobbleheads for the first 100 attendees to my funeral. If less than 100 attend, you'll be able to find them for a steal on ebay the next day. Afterwards, I've instructed my family to throw a big BBQ.

Cool. I'd show for one of those.

I mean, it would be an honor to receive such a kitschy representation of your likeness and perch on the dash of my old pickup.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:28 pm

A violation of the California Air Resources Board Regulations. They'd throw you in prison out here.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:59 pm

Hovannes wrote:

A violation of the California Air Resources Board Regulations. They'd throw you in prison out here.
They'd throw the organizer in prison. There is probably a law against throwing a cadaver in prison. But this is a religious rite so theoretically it's protected. But you should do it out beyond US waters in the ocean.

The problem is that it doesn't work. I suppose it depends what you think it does. There isn't nearly enough heat, sustained for nearly long enough, to even vapourize all the water in the human body (you're 75% water). It takes 2 -3 hours, at much higher temperatures to reduce a body in a crematorium. And it's not ash that remains but bones that are crushed to gravel. So unless you're weighed down by armor your cadaver will survive the burning boat and float off and end up on a beach. Now the Vikings probably knew this, hence the armor. When the boat is burned to water line it capsizes and the armored cadaver sinks. The flames are just to get rid of the boat.
Last edited by Rusty on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:04 pm

Rusty wrote:
Hovannes wrote:

They'd throw the organizer in prison. There is probably a law against throwing a cadaver in prison. But this is a religious rite so theoretically it's protected. But you should do out beyond US waters.

The problem is that it doesn't work. There isn't nearly enough heat, sustained for nearly long enough, to even vapourize all the water in the human body (you're 75% water). It takes 2 -3 hours, at much higher temperatures to reduce a body in a crematorium. And it's not ash that remains but bones that are crushed to gravel. So unless you're weighed down by armor your cadaver will survive the burning boat and float off and end up on a beach. Now the Vikings probably knew this, hence the armor. When the boat is burned to water line it capsizes and the armored cadaver sinks. The flames are just to get rid of the boat.
Two words: pre-pyre dessicant
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Skip wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Hovannes wrote:

They'd throw the organizer in prison. There is probably a law against throwing a cadaver in prison. But this is a religious rite so theoretically it's protected. But you should do out beyond US waters.

The problem is that it doesn't work. There isn't nearly enough heat, sustained for nearly long enough, to even vapourize all the water in the human body (you're 75% water). It takes 2 -3 hours, at much higher temperatures to reduce a body in a crematorium. And it's not ash that remains but bones that are crushed to gravel. So unless you're weighed down by armor your cadaver will survive the burning boat and float off and end up on a beach. Now the Vikings probably knew this, hence the armor. When the boat is burned to water line it capsizes and the armored cadaver sinks. The flames are just to get rid of the boat.
Two words: pre-pyre dessicant
100 LBs of water bound to flesh and organs? It's still not going to work. The boat goes too quickly.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:28 pm

JimVH wrote:If the occasion of my death is foreseeable, I plan to have JimVH bobbleheads for the first 100 attendees to my funeral. If less than 100 attend, you'll be able to find them for a steal on ebay the next day. Afterwards, I've instructed my family to throw a big BBQ.

LOL! That is beautiful. Better than a program!

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:30 pm

Hovannes wrote:

You can't have a sweet Viking funeral without somehow thumbing yer nose at the authorities.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:31 pm

What song shall we play as we prepare you UB?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:32 pm

Rusty wrote:
Hovannes wrote:

They'd throw the organizer in prison. There is probably a law against throwing a cadaver in prison. But this is a religious rite so theoretically it's protected. But you should do it out beyond US waters in the ocean.

The problem is that it doesn't work. I suppose it depends what you think it does. There isn't nearly enough heat, sustained for nearly long enough, to even vapourize all the water in the human body (you're 75% water). It takes 2 -3 hours, at much higher temperatures to reduce a body in a crematorium. And it's not ash that remains but bones that are crushed to gravel. So unless you're weighed down by armor your cadaver will survive the burning boat and float off and end up on a beach. Now the Vikings probably knew this, hence the armor. When the boat is burned to water line it capsizes and the armored cadaver sinks. The flames are just to get rid of the boat.
Hel yeah I'm going to be swaddled in chainmail while surrounded by the arms (ie weapons) and skulls (ie actual skulls) of my enemies.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:35 pm

Jocose wrote:What song shall we play as we prepare you UB?
[BBvideo 560,340]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVTEPBhZ2EQ[/BBvideo]

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:37 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Hovannes wrote:

Hel yeah I'm going to be swaddled in chainmail while surrounded by the arms (ie weapons) and skulls (ie actual skulls) of my enemies.
What are you going to name your boat?

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:41 pm

hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Hovannes wrote:

Either Vingilot or Straight Virginia Flake. Could go either way.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:48 pm

UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Hovannes wrote:

Either Vingilot or Straight Virginia Flake. Could go either way.
Vingilot. You don't want eternal tongue burn.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:59 pm

You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:52 pm

Anyone who posts to this thread is Wyrd.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:10 pm

Thunktank wrote:Anyone who posts to this thread is Wyrd.
:taco:

You've earned it.