hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Re: What is Progressive Christianity?

Post by hugodrax » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:51 pm

UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote: No, Bob, it doesn't really concern me. You're my friend and that's good enough. Besides, as a Catholic, I am plenty used to people telling me what I believe without asking and without researching and without believing me when I tell them they're wrong. And that's just you and Del....

I often shake my head about what I read around here, often when rereading my own posts. But don't get twisted about the place because of an unfair thread. I feel closest to you, Coco, Fred, Thunk, the oddly named Irish Dane, Joe, Skip, JudgeRusty, Rusty, and Onyx. I don't say that to leave anyone out, I've made many more friends, but to illustrate that of those I feel think most like me, only one shares my denomination. Two, maybe three, aren't Christian at all.
Yet we don't sit around kvetching at each other all the time. I say this not to be a jerk, but in a spirit of helpfulness: lighten up. Or rage quit. Your decision.
Rage quit? Are you hanging out with TNLP again?

I will not lighten up because foolishness is way to rampant in our society to be enabled. You want to fight against something? That's cool. However, we need to have an idea about what they are instead of just thundering from the gut. We might as well be "dowsers for Jesus" if that's the case.
Lighten up means stop howling when you get hurt stirring up the hornets nest. You've labeled enough people here that you shouldn't be terribly surprised to be labeled yourself. Don't be surprised by the injustice of it all. Besides, this place isn't real. For all I know, you are Tuttle and you've been talking to yourself. I'm a figment of Dels imagination. :mrgreen: I
Are you hogleg's sock puppet?
I just woke up my wife laughing. That was excellent.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:53 pm

hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote: No, Bob, it doesn't really concern me. You're my friend and that's good enough. Besides, as a Catholic, I am plenty used to people telling me what I believe without asking and without researching and without believing me when I tell them they're wrong. And that's just you and Del....

I often shake my head about what I read around here, often when rereading my own posts. But don't get twisted about the place because of an unfair thread. I feel closest to you, Coco, Fred, Thunk, the oddly named Irish Dane, Joe, Skip, JudgeRusty, Rusty, and Onyx. I don't say that to leave anyone out, I've made many more friends, but to illustrate that of those I feel think most like me, only one shares my denomination. Two, maybe three, aren't Christian at all.
Yet we don't sit around kvetching at each other all the time. I say this not to be a jerk, but in a spirit of helpfulness: lighten up. Or rage quit. Your decision.

I will not lighten up because foolishness is way to rampant in our society to be enabled. You want to fight against something? That's cool. However, we need to have an idea about what they are instead of just thundering from the gut. We might as well be "dowsers for Jesus" if that's the case.
Lighten up means stop howling when you get hurt stirring up the hornets nest. You've labeled enough people here that you shouldn't be terribly surprised to be labeled yourself. Don't be surprised by the injustice of it all. Besides, this place isn't real. For all I know, you are Tuttle and you've been talking to yourself. I'm a figment of Dels imagination. :mrgreen: I
I just woke up my wife laughing. That was excellent.
:cheese:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:36 am

UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

Sad, but I'll take that as a compliment.

Also sad that you either missed the point entirely or simply refuse to acknowledge it.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:45 pm

FWIW I find "progressive Christianity" to be the gist of what CS Lewis warned against in Mere Christianity.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:08 pm

Hovannes wrote:FWIW I find "progressive Christianity" to be the gist of what CS Lewis warned against in Mere Christianity.
Mère? Mama!
You have another family Jean. Mother Father Family!
Razor, Razor, FAMILY! Jean.
Pas tres bon
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:44 pm

Rusty wrote:
Hovannes wrote:FWIW I find "progressive Christianity" to be the gist of what CS Lewis warned against in Mere Christianity.
Mère? Mama!
You have another family Jean. Mother Father Family!
Razor, Razor, FAMILY! Jean.
Pas tres bon
And that, gentlemen, is why we don't drink rubbing alcohol. No, no, Rusty, not that way. We are over here.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:39 am

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:09 am

Progressive Christianity would be getting on board with what modern secular culture considers progress. Anything goes.

And "anything goes" interestingly is what the New Testament Greek word for iniquity means:

ἄνομος (ä'-no-mos) departing from the law, a violator of the law, lawless, wicked

In the Old Testament Hebrew, the word iniquity is עָוָה (ä·vōn'), meaning perversity, depravity
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:51 am

Goose55 wrote:Progressive Christianity would be getting on board with what modern secular culture considers progress. Anything goes.

And "anything goes" interestingly is what the New Testament Greek word for iniquity means:

ἄνομος (ä'-no-mos) departing from the law, a violator of the law, lawless, wicked

In the Old Testament Hebrew, the word iniquity is עָוָה (ä·vōn'), meaning perversity, depravity
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:06 pm

tuttle wrote:
Goose55 wrote:Progressive Christianity would be getting on board with what modern secular culture considers progress. Anything goes.

Of course, things like seat belt laws are for safety and, and are good. That is good "progress." But seat belt laws have little to do with Christianity
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:09 pm

Goose55 wrote:
tuttle wrote:

Of course, things like seat belt laws are for safety and, and are good. That is good "progress." But seat belt laws have little to do with Christianity
Not sure if you've read through this thread...but that was just a funny (albeit failed) attempt to say with a picture: Buckle up!
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks for the article. Being around here makes one wonder if all Christians are politically conservative. I gather that this is another dimension from progressive.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:20 pm

Fire insurance without the premiums.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:27 pm

Is that how we should refer to Christians who support abortion (or a many like to call it, a woman's right to choose)? Progressive Christians? I never quite could sort out a self-proclaimed Christian supporting the killing of the most innocent and vulnerable among us for the sake of convenience.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:57 pm

My own thoughts, jumbled as they may be...

pro•gress•ive

adj. Moving forward; advancing.
adj. Proceeding in steps; continuing steadily by increments: progressive change.
adj. Promoting or favoring progress toward better conditions or new policies, ideas, or methods: a progressive politician; progressive business leadership.

The unstated inherent assumption is of improvement towards "better" conditions in a particular sphere (religious, political, economic, etc). To progressives, if you're not "progressing" then at best you remain stagnant (conservatives), and at worst you regress to some worse state (fundamentalists). They essentially believe that humans can continually improve our situation and solve all our problems. This is how bad ideas like eugenics originated with progressives, who nowadays would be officially aghast at the idea because they have progressed past that. And why "progressive christians" can support things like gay marriage, because for various reasons they see that as improvement over the old status quo.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:05 pm

infidel wrote:My own thoughts, jumbled as they may be...

pro•gress•ive

adj. Proceeding in steps; continuing steadily by increments: progressive change.
adj. Promoting or favoring progress toward better conditions or new policies, ideas, or methods: a progressive politician; progressive business leadership.

The unstated inherent assumption is of improvement towards "better" conditions in a particular sphere (religious, political, economic, etc). To progressives, if you're not "progressing" then at best you remain stagnant (conservatives), and at worst you regress to some worse state (fundamentalists). They essentially believe that humans can continually improve our situation and solve all our problems. This is how bad ideas like eugenics originated with progressives, who nowadays would be officially aghast at the idea because they have progressed past that. And why "progressive christians" can support things like gay marriage, because for various reasons they see that as improvement over the old status quo.
Here is how those who identify as Progressive Christians define themselves:
http://progressivechristianity.org/
http://progressivechristianity.org/the-8-points/

Could be germane. Just sayin'.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:27 pm

UncleBob wrote:

pro•gress•ive

Yeah, I saw that earlier in the thread. Doesn't really change my thoughts. Everything they list they see as an improvement over what they believe are traditional views: "unity of all life" vs humans as categorically different to animals; "diverse sources of wisdom" and "inclusive of ALL people" vs Jesus is THE way, THE truth, and THE life; "more value in questioning" vs dogma an creeds.

Their call to donate reads: "Help bring a more compassionate and informed Christianity into this world". Clearly they see traditional Christianity as less compassionate and informed and they have new and improved product to offer. I can relate. Andy Stanley had a recent series that took a similar tack: What if the God you're walking away from never existed in the first place?.

I'm not going to argue that progressivism is wrong, or bad. I think there probably needs to be a tension between progressive and conservative to remain healthy. Excessive conservatism becomes rigid fundamentalism which is bad. Excessive progressivism leads to changing everything for change's sake, throwing out all the babies with the bathwater, as it were.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:19 pm

infidel wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

pro•gress•ive

Yeah, I saw that earlier in the thread. Doesn't really change my thoughts. Everything they list they see as an improvement over what they believe are traditional views: "unity of all life" vs humans as categorically different to animals; "diverse sources of wisdom" and "inclusive of ALL people" vs Jesus is THE way, THE truth, and THE life; "more value in questioning" vs dogma an creeds.

Their call to donate reads: "Help bring a more compassionate and informed Christianity into this world". Clearly they see traditional Christianity as less compassionate and informed and they have new and improved product to offer. I can relate. Andy Stanley had a recent series that took a similar tack: What if the God you're walking away from never existed in the first place?.

I'm not going to argue that progressivism is wrong, or bad. I think there probably needs to be a tension between progressive and conservative to remain healthy. Excessive conservatism becomes rigid fundamentalism which is bad. Excessive progressivism leads to changing everything for change's sake, throwing out all the babies with the bathwater, as it were.
My way of thinking is this: to understand something, one must endeavor to first understand how that something understands itself. Otherwise personal bias colors everything else which simply leads to delusion. That's all.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:43 pm

UncleBob wrote:
infidel wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

pro•gress•ive

My way of thinking is this: to understand something, one must endeavor to first understand how that something understands itself. Otherwise personal bias colors everything else which simply leads to delusion. That's all.
Yeah, and you do a bang up job of that, brother. You can see everybody's bias but your own.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:12 pm

hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
infidel wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

pro•gress•ive

Yeah, and you do a bang up job of that, brother. You can see everybody's bias but your own.
Watching the debate?

:chili: