Denominational and/or Theological Affiliation, Identity, Sympathies, etc

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

pilgrim
Congregation
Congregation

Denominational and/or Theological Affiliation, Identity, Sympathies, etc

Post by pilgrim » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:24 pm

Over the last year I have spent time on another pipe forum, mainly lurking, and found the information useful but never felt like I was in tune with the direction things went socially. So, I am really new to this forum and curious as to who is actively engaged here. Maybe I am way to new to ask this question or even start a thread of this nature, after all it has probably already been done over and over as like a thread about your 'top 3 tobacco choices'. If so bear with me please.

Would you mind answering very simply where your ecclesiastical associations, theological sympathies, etc are? And do tell if you identity with something other than Christianity.

I would love to see a chart made out of this!

Me- Independent, Non-Dispensational Bible Church, Reformed sympathizer, limited London Baptist Confession or WCF, non-charismatic but do not fully embrace cessationist positions, worship 'style'- prefer a very puritan style service- readings, hymns, confession, prayers; SBC higher institution education.

Thanks for sharing. I just would like to see what the environment here is like.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: Denominational and/or Theological Affiliation, Identity, Sympathies, etc

Post by Jocose » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:32 pm

I can't seem to fit in any category.

Jesus introduced himself to me one day years ago and I've never forgotten that, I can't.

I'm a really bad follower of him tho, prolly the worst Christian ever, why he'd even want to know me I still can't figure out.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:41 pm

Jocose wrote: I'm a really bad follower of him tho, prolly the worst Christian ever, why he'd even want to know me I still can't figure out.
+me

Preach it, brother.

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:59 pm

Jocose wrote:I can't seem to fit in any category.

Jesus introduced himself to me one day years ago and I've never forgotten that, I can't.

I'm a really bad follower of him tho, prolly the worst Christian ever, why he'd even want to know me I still can't figure out.
Jocose, I feel the same and more so after attempting to follow Him my whole life. 2 Cor 5:21 for me, is one of the most astounding, mysterious, holy mysteries ever expressed. That He was and is my Substitute leads me every morning to thank Him and am led to your question: "why he'd ever want to know me?" But the glorious answer is: Grace and Love.
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:15 pm

I asked that my name be removed from the membership list years ago and do not believe I will ever officially "join" any system of religion again. I now rejoice in the freedom in Christ Jesus, a member of His Church, identified as sheep and branches united to a Living VINE. I believe in New Covenant Theology. The Gospel is the only saving message/truth. For me, Jesus IS the Gospel, and all based upon seeking to understand and follow and believe the Holy Spirit's planting His truth in my understanding, founded upon the Bible ALONE, saved by the FATHER's grace alone, apart from any works of law and efforts on my part. And the gratitude I feel about His gift of regenerated spiritual life and creation in Christ (new birth) ( Eph 2:1-6) leaves me so grateful my desire is greater than ever before to live for Him, obey His every "follow Me" but oh so inadequate - but now I desire to serve and follow out of love and gratitude, not out of any legalistic works and life-style outlined by men.

Jesus never said if you find and choose the "right religion" you'll be saved. But to "believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life...GOD has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son (Jesus) has life; he who does not have the Son of GOD does not have life." (1 Jn 5:13, 11,12) Jesus said "only one thing is needed" (Lk 10:42). If we have that One Thing needed, which is Jesus, and are "in Christ" we have eternal life, right here and now ! Not "a religion" but a Person, our Substitute, the Lord our Righteousness (Jer 23:6). To me THIS IS GOOD NEWS!
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:28 pm

Catholic Church, Roman Rite, Novus Ordo. I prefer the Carthusians, to be honest, but they keep to themselves.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:33 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:Catholic Church, Roman Rite, Novus Ordo. I prefer the Carthusians, to be honest, but they keep to themselves.
I saw that movie.

:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

pilgrim
Congregation
Congregation

Post by pilgrim » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:31 am

Tatanka wrote:I asked that my name be removed from the membership list years ago and do not believe I will ever officially "join" any system of religion again. I now rejoice in the freedom in Christ Jesus, a member of His Church, identified as sheep and branches united to a Living VINE. I believe in New Covenant Theology. The Gospel is the only saving message/truth. For me, Jesus IS the Gospel, and all based upon seeking to understand and follow and believe the Holy Spirit's planting His truth in my understanding, founded upon the Bible ALONE, saved by the FATHER's grace alone, apart from any works of law and efforts on my part. And the gratitude I feel about His gift of regenerated spiritual life and creation in Christ (new birth) ( Eph 2:1-6) leaves me so grateful my desire is greater than ever before to live for Him, obey His every "follow Me" but oh so inadequate - but now I desire to serve and follow out of love and gratitude, not out of any legalistic works and life-style outlined by men.

Jesus never said if you find and choose the "right religion" you'll be saved. But to "believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life...GOD has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son (Jesus) has life; he who does not have the Son of GOD does not have life." (1 Jn 5:13, 11,12) Jesus said "only one thing is needed" (Lk 10:42). If we have that One Thing needed, which is Jesus, and are "in Christ" we have eternal life, right here and now ! Not "a religion" but a Person, our Substitute, the Lord our Righteousness (Jer 23:6). To me THIS IS GOOD NEWS!
I am closer to New Covenant theology as well which keeps me from embracing all of the Reformed perspectives. I appreciate hearing the soothing sound of God's grace from the scriptures! Zechariah 4:7 and Isaiah 8:20, combine the sense of these two and it is delightful.

I do hope you are not withdrawing from finding a local assembly. Know how difficult it is to be outside the camp, but there are others there, and I imagine you know our needs and duties in body life. On this subject, are you a fan of AW Pink?

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:13 am

What the heck - I'll play...a little bit.

Member of a Regular Baptist church. 4-1/2 point Calvinist, Dispensational with a Covenental undercurrent. Pre-Trib, Pre-Millenial, young earth creationist, generally cessationist (depending on how you want to define things).

And I generally lay low on theological debates on the internet for various reasons, so don't expect to see me jumping in on the discussions of liberal Christians, Christian orthodoxy, Catholics vs. Protestants, etc. very often. I follow the discussions, I just try to keep my gob shut.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:29 am

reformed, covenantal, paedobaptist, paedocommunionistish, postmill, confessional/creedal, catholic, high church, calvinist with a sympathy for mercy ministry.
Last edited by Cleon on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:31 am

UncleBob wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:Catholic Church, Roman Rite, Novus Ordo. I prefer the Carthusians, to be honest, but they keep to themselves.
I saw that movie.

C'mon Bob, label yerself. We like the shorthand.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:22 am

Cleon wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
I saw that movie.

C'mon Bob, label yerself. We like the shorthand.
He once labeled himself a Methodist. Obviously he has expanded on the method part, somewhat.

Here's an older list from 2013...
CPS: Your religious affiliation

I'm not a believer. Most closely identify with secular humanism.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:55 am

UncleBob wrote:
I saw that movie.

Stat crux dum volvitur Ghostbusters.

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:03 am

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:10 am

I am largely part of the Wesleyan Movement. I pastored a United Methodist church for a few years; however, though I am a Methodist, I am moving closer and closer to Anglicanism. I flirted with Catholicism and Orthodoxy, but have since taken a step back from there, though Orthodoxy is still quite appealing to me. All in all, I just try my best to be what God wants to be, that is, first and foremost a humble follower and emulator.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:57 am

Pre-denominational Apostolic Christian.

As far as worship styles go, I am Roman rite. I am fond of traditional Christian music, like Gregorian Chant.
Last edited by Del on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Del

Post by Del » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:02 pm

UncleBob wrote:
I saw that movie.

The Carthusians were founded by St. Bruno, ya know....

And this is the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZND6wUrQFY
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:28 pm

Del wrote:Pre-denominational Apostolic Christian.

As far as worship styles go, I am Roman rite. I am fond of traditional Christian music, like Gregorian Chant.
I thought you were Pentecostal?

I had been meaning to watch Into Great Silence for a couple years now, but had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder!

I preach in a Baptist church that belongs to a denomination called the Canadian Baptists of Western Canada (we're in Canada, in case you're wondering). I do my best to follow The Way, seeking to bring Good News wherever I go. I do so-so in all regards.
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:53 pm

I'm a Chestertonian Puritan with an affinity for Christ-centered liturgical worship. Interestingly (because I don't recall it ever being mentioned around here) I too would likely land in the realm of New Covenant Theology, at least what I understand of it.
"Do mo betta." -FredS

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:28 pm

Southern Baptist/1689/covenantal/amil
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk