Your Favorite C.S. Lewis Quotes

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:30 am

Biblegateway sends me a C.S. Lewis quote everyday and some of my favorites have come through that. Others I have found through a daily Lewis reading book someone gifted me with.

So, for those fans of his, what are some of your favorite C.S. Lewis quotes? Here's one I love:

Think of yourself just as a seed, patiently waiting in the earth: waiting to come up a flower in the Gardener's good time, up into the real world, the real waking. Our present life, looked back on from There, will seem only a drowsy half-waking." ~ C.S. Lewis, Collected Letters, Vol III
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: Your Favorite C.S. Lewis Quotes

Post by Gabriel » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:50 pm

“In speaking of this desire for our own far off country, which we find in ourselves even now, I feel a certain shyness. I am almost committing an indecency. I am trying to rip open the inconsolable secret in each one of you—the secret which hurts so much that you take your revenge on it by calling it names like Nostalgia and Romanticism and Adolescence; the secret also which pierces with such sweetness that when, in very intimate conversation, the mention of it becomes imminent, we grow awkward and affect to laugh at ourselves; the secret we cannot hide and cannot tell, though we desire to do both. We cannot tell it because it is a desire for something that has never actually appeared in our experience. We cannot hide it because our experience is constantly suggesting it, and we betray ourselves like lovers at the mention of a name. Our commonest expedient is to call it beauty and behave as if that had settled the matter. Wordsworth’s expedient was to identify it with certain moments in his own past. But all this is a cheat. If Wordsworth had gone back to those moments in the past, he would not have found the thing itself, but only the reminder of it; what he remembered would turn out to be itself a remembering. The books or the music in which we thought the beauty was located will betray us if we trust to them; it was not in them, it only came through them, and what came through them was longing. These things—the beauty, the memory of our own past—are good images of what we really desire; but if they are mistaken for the thing itself they turn into dumb idols, breaking the hearts of their worshipers. For they are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never yet visited.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory
Sola Deo Gloria

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 pm

If yer gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:13 pm

It's like picking your favorite child...

But here's a great one:
CS Lewis wrote:We were talking of dragons, Tolkien and I
In a Berkshire bar. The big workman
Who had sat silent and sucked his pipe
All the evening, from his empty mug
With gleaming eye glanced towards us;
‘I seen ’em myself’, he said fiercely.
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:16 pm

"I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:25 pm

Cleon wrote:
If yer gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
really?

I assumed my father coined the phrase: "If yer gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough."
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:41 pm

"That Chesterton fella is some kind of loon." -- C.S.Lewis; God in the Dork, p. 42
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:01 pm

"What the Hell???!!? These are not my underpants!" - C.S. Lewis "On Parade - The Man, The Legend"
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:34 pm

"Being sober on a bus is, like, totally different than being drunk on a bus."

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:51 pm

durangopipe wrote:"I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”
Wow.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:37 pm

Goose55 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:"I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”
Wow.
A very dear friend, a Lutheran minister, got into a bit of conflict with his church when he preached on this.
He spoke about the call to disipleship being a call to service; mostly, my sense was that he was trying to preach a biblical message that was an antidote to the "gospel of prosperity" and the all too prevalent "Happy Church".

The joys of discipleship are certainly real, but they're a bit more meaningful and hard won than what some expect.
I think this is part of what Lewis is saying.

The quote is from "The Problem of Pain."
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:20 pm

+JMJ+
In [i]The Abolition of Man[/i], C.S. Lewis wrote:Is it, then, possible to imagine a new Natural Philosophy, continually conscious that the "natural object" produced by analysis and abstraction is not reality but only a view, and always correcting the abstraction? I hardly know what I am asking for. I hear rumours that Goethe's approach to nature deserves fuller consideration — that even Dr Steiner may have seen something that orthodox researchers have missed. The regenerate science which I have in mind would not do even to minerals and vegetables what modern science threatens to do to man himself. When it explained, it would not explain away. When it spoke of the parts, it would remember the whole. While studying the It, it would not lose what Martin Buber calls the Thou-situation. The analogy between the Tao of Man and the instincts of an animal species would mean for it new light cast on the unknown thing. Instinct, by the only known reality of conscience and not a reduction of conscience to the category of Instinct. Its followers would not be free with the words "only" and "merely". In a word, it would conquer Nature without being at the same time conquered by her and buy knowledge at a lower cost than that of life.

Perhaps I am asking impossibilities. Perhaps, in the nature of things, analytical understanding must always be a basilisk which kills what it sees and only sees by killing. But if the scientists themselves cannot arrest this process before it reaches the common Reason and kills that too, then someone else must arrest it. What I most fear is the reply that I am only "one more" obscurantist, that this barrier, like all previous barriers set up against the advance of science, can be safely passed. Such a reply springs from the fatal serialism of the modern imagination — the image of infinite unilinear progression which so haunts our minds. Because we have to use numbers so much we tend to think of every process as if it must be like the numeral series, where every step, to all eternity, is the same kind of step as the one before. I implore you to remember the Irishman and his two stoves.* There are progressions in which the last step is sui generis — incommensurable with the others — and in which to go the whole way is to undo all the labour of your previous journey. To reduce the Tao to a mere natural product is a step of that kind. Up to that point, the kind of explanation which explains things away may give us something, though at a heavy cost. But you cannot go on "explaining away" for ever: you will find that you have explained explanation itself away. You cannot go on "seeing through" things for ever. The whole point of seeing through something is to see something through it. It is good that the window should be transparent, because the street or garden beyond it is opaque. How if you saw through the garden too? It is no use trying to "see through" first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To "see through" all things is the same as not to see.

*This is one of the many instances where to carry a principle to what seems its logical conclusion produces absurdity. It is like the famous Irishman who found that a certain kind of stove reduced his fuel bill by half and thence concluded that two stoves of the same kind would enable him to warm his house with no fuel at all.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:16 pm

Lewis is so on target here:

"If the first and lowest operation of pain shatters the illusion that all is well, the second shatters the illusion that what we have, whether good or bad in itself, is our own and enough for us. Everyone has noticed how hard it is to turn our thoughts to God when everything is going well with us. We ‘have all we want’ is a terrible saying when ‘all’ does not include God. We find God an interruption. As St Augustine says somewhere, ‘God wants to give us something, but cannot, because our hands are full—there’s nowhere for Him to put it.’ Or as a friend of mine said, ‘We regard God as an airman regards his parachute; it’s there for emergencies but he hopes he’ll never have to use it.’

"Now God, who has made us, knows what we are, and that our happiness lies in Him. Yet we will not seek it in Him as long as he leaves us any other resort where it can even plausibly be looked for. While what we call ‘our own life’ remains agreeable we will not surrender it to Him. What then can God do in our interests but make ‘our own life’ less agreeable to us, and take away the plausible source of false happiness? "

~C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Some more by C.S. Lewis:

"There is either a warning or an encouragement here for every one of us.
If you are a nice person-if virtue comes easily to you beware! Much is
expected from those to whom much is given. If you mistake for your own
merits what are really God's gifts to you through nature, and if you are
contented with simply being nice, you are still a rebel: and all those gifts
will only make your fall more terrible, your corruption more complicated,
your bad example more disastrous. The Devil was an archangel once; his
natural gifts were as far above yours as yours are above those of a
chimpanzee.

"But if you are a poor creature-poisoned by a wretched upbringing in
some house full of vulgar jealousies and senseless quarrels-saddled, by no
choice of your own, with some loathsome sexual perversion-nagged day in and
day out by an inferiority complex that makes you snap at your best
friends-do not despair. He knows all about it. You are one of the poor whom
He blessed. He knows what a wretched machine you are trying to drive. Keep
on. Do what you can. One day (perhaps in another world, but perhaps far
sooner than that) he will fling it on the scrap-heap and give you a new one.
And then you may astonish us all-not least yourself: for you have learned
your driving in a hard school. (Some of the last will be first and some of
the first will be last.)" ~ Mere Christianity

Maybe a lot of Christians are burned out on C.S. Lewis, but I really only fully discovered the value of his writings in the past few years.

I know there has to be some more of us that have some words of Lewis's that have spoken to you, and helped you. So, let us have some more posts

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:22 pm

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one" - C.S. Lewis
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:56 pm

Pepik wrote:"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one" - C.S. Lewis
Pepik, that is so powerful, and so true.

I wonder if Lewis wrote that after his too short marriage to Joy Gresham.

BTW, how many here have watched the Anthony Hopkins version of Shadowlands--an awesome portrayal of Lewis's meeting Joy Gresham. This is part of the movie script, a short conversation with one of C.S. Lewis's Oxford colleagues:

Lewis: "I find this a trying time of year, Christopher."

Riley: "Trying? Trying to do what, Jack?"

Lewis: "Frosty mornings gone. Clouds and rain and mud remain. Give me blizzards and frozen pipes, but not this waiting room of the world."

Lewis: "Tell me something, Christopher. Would you say that you were content?"

Riley: "I am as I am. The world is as it is. My contentment or otherwise has little to do with it."

Lewis: "But don't you ever feel a sense of waste?"

Riley: "Of course."

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:37 pm

Not quite a straight up quote, but I love this story.

I first read this account in one of his biographies, but I quote it from Mary Pearce, who recounted it as the Warden of the Kilns.

Quick background: Maureen was the daughter of Mrs Moore (whom Lewis had lived with/taken care of for many years after the Great War). Also, Lewis had just recently awoken from a coma.
Shortly before Jack’s death, through an intricate and almost bizarre series of events, Maureen inherited a castle on the very northern shores of Scotland along with the title of Lady Dunbar, Baronet. When Jack was in hospital, Maureen came to visit him. Walter Hooper met her at the door and warned her that he hadn’t been recognizing anyone and to not be upset if he couldn’t remember her. Maureen walked into his hospital room and put her hand into his. “Jack?” she said. “It’s Maureen.” Jack looked at her and said, “No it isn’t. It’s Lady Dunbar.” Maureen was astonished. “Jack! How could you remember that!” And Jack replied “On the contrary. How could I forget a fairy tale?”
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

serapion
I'll make yer head spin!
I'll make yer head spin!
Location: New Yorker from Connecticut, now exiled to the Republic of Texas

Post by serapion » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:03 pm

As the great Christian apologist C. S. Lewis wrote, “We must picture hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement and where everyone has a grievance.”

Found this gem in an article in the New York Times puzzling over why some Evangelicals are supporting Trump.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I am a pipe smoker, the very embodiment of mellow.
I let nothing chap my ass.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:08 pm

I prefer Dylan.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Onyx