Your Favorite C.S. Lewis Quotes

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: Your Favorite C.S. Lewis Quotes

Post by Goose55 » Wed May 18, 2016 12:54 pm

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:26 pm

"Leave the state of your feelings for God to deal with, in His own time, and His own way. ~ C.S. Lewis
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:40 am

Tender and meaningful scene from Shadowlands, with C.S. Lewis portrayed by Anthony Hopkins, and his wife of too few brief years, Joy Gresham, portrayed by Debra Winger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3PUhrvAxyg

The pain now, is part of the happiness then.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:48 pm

Goose55 wrote:Tender and meaningful scene from Shadowlands, with C.S. Lewis portrayed by Anthony Hopkins, and his wife of too few brief years, Joy Gresham, portrayed by Debra Winger.

Goose,

If you're going to decide it's a good idea for me to blub at a quarter to three of the afternoon, please give me a heads up first. I'd have chosen better cover.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:03 pm

"Roll for Sass, d20 with a +3 Advantage" - C.S. Lewis from Out of Context D&D Quotes, Fourth Edition.
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:08 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:Tender and meaningful scene from Shadowlands, with C.S. Lewis portrayed by Anthony Hopkins, and his wife of too few brief years, Joy Gresham, portrayed by Debra Winger.

Goose,

If you're going to decide it's a good idea for me to blub at a quarter to three of the afternoon, please give me a heads up first. I'd have chosen better cover.
Eh? Can you decipher that for me please?

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:47 am

Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Goose,

Yes. Human emotion. It made me cry. Had I known, I wouldn't have been in such a public spot. Please warn me in future.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:43 am

hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Goose,

Yes. Human emotion. It made me cry. Had I known, I wouldn't have been in such a public spot. Please warn me in future.
I was lazy. I could have run a word check on "blub." Sorry

But anyway, those kinds of tears--sad tears--are good tears. Scientists say that they contain toxins. Whereas tears of joy do not.

I wish I could cry more. Tear ducts are rusted shut.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:15 pm

Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Goose,

But anyway, those kinds of tears--sad tears--are good tears. Scientists say that they contain toxins. Whereas tears of joy do not.

Hey! Watch the rust adverbs. Twasn't my doing.

All thinking men are atheists ~ Ernest Hemingway
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:40 pm

Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Goose,

Hey! Watch the rust adverbs.
Ha! Good one.

BTW, Rusty, what's with your new profile pic?

Very creative but it leaves one wondering what is going on there. Have you been quarantined?

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:56 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Goose,

Ha! Good one.

Very creative but it leaves one wondering what is going on there. Have you been quarantined?
Yes, wonder away. What is happening?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:29 pm

Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Goose,

Ha! Good one.

Yes, wonder away. What is happening?
Does your new profile pic have anything to do with you be Canadian and Britain leaving EU?

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:39 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Jack wrote:You're affectionate brother,
Jack
You'd think an English professor of the English language would take care to use his apostrophe properly.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:56 am

Del wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Jack wrote:You're affectionate brother,
Jack
You'd think an English professor of the English language would take care to use his apostrophe properly.
So they never taught you about the Great Apostrophe Shift? One of the tragic effects of the Great War coinciding with the surprising T-Bone - Porterhouse Exchange.

You probably say "ay-men".

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:49 am

Another Lewis quote to comfort us on our journey Home:

“Think of yourself just as a seed, patiently waiting in the earth: waiting to come up a flower in the Gardener's good time, up into the real world, the real waking. Our present life, looked back on from There, will seem only a drowsy half-waking." ~ C.S. Lewis, Collected Letters, Vol III

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:35 pm

"Real sorrow ends neither with a bang nor a whimper. Sometimes it remains for life, a puddle in the mind which grows always wider, shallower, and more unwholesome. Sometimes it just peters out, as other moods do." C.S. Lewis From Experiment in Criticism Compiled in Words to Live By

How 'bout some more favorite Lewis quotes, from others?

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:08 pm

“If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort, you will not get either comfort or truth; only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair.” ― C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:05 pm

Here, C.S. Lewis explains what he believes Jesus meant when He said "Be ye perfect, as your Father in Heaven is perfect." It is quite a hard saying.

http://www.cslewisinstitute.org/The_Full_Treatment

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:13 pm

"We must not fret about not doing God those supposed services which He in fact does not allow us to do. Very often I expect, the service He really demands is that of not being (apparently) used, or not in the way we expected, or not in a way we can perceive."

C.S. Lewis; A letter to Mary Willis Shelburne, dated February 22, 1958

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:21 pm

"Joy? Honey? We're out of toilet paper!"

C.S. Lewis; To wife as she was about to pop down to the local market, May 17, 1956.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain