Protestant Smackdown: What is Your Favorite Systematic Theology?

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: Protestant Smackdown: What is Your Favorite Systematic Theology?

Post by wosbald » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:45 am

+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:I have decided that I need this: Click Here.
If you plan on engaging Barth, might I recommend this as an adjunct?

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:48 am

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+

Not until after I have read Barth. Its only fair, you know.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:10 am

I just flattened out all the Spanish rice on my plate and then took bites such that I had the silhouette of a sailboat on my plate.

It seemed appropriate after Del jumped onto the thread.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:18 am

Joshoowah wrote:A lot of Grudem fans. I suppose I'm not all that surprised. His systematic theology text is not a bad one, and it probably is one of the most accessible ones.
Speaking of accessibility, what do you think of John Stott? I really enjoyed The Cross of Christ. Not a systematic theology but there you are.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:27 am

+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:
wosbald wrote:

I didn't mean to imply either "before" or "after". Just "in addition to". It's a rather common book, so you can usually snag it on the cheap though Amazon.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:32 am

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:
wosbald wrote:

I didn't mean to imply either "before" or "after". Just "in addition to". It's a rather common book, so you can usually snag it on the cheap though Amazon.
Gotcha. I thought you were pulling a Del--just read Chesterton to to understand Barth--so to speak. Mea culpa.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:34 am

UncleBob wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:A lot of Grudem fans. I suppose I'm not all that surprised. His systematic theology text is not a bad one, and it probably is one of the most accessible ones.
Speaking of accessibility, what do you think of John Stott? I really enjoyed The Cross of Christ. Not a systematic theology but there you are.
I've always been meaning to read that. I've read a few of his commentaries and stuff. Some of his teaching was rather influential in my ministry.
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:36 am

UncleBob wrote:
I do have a few of his commentaries - Galations, Ephesians, and Romans apparently, judging by a quick scan of my shelf.
Sola Deo Gloria

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:37 am

tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
I've always been meaning to read that. I've read a few of his commentaries and stuff. Some of his teaching was rather influential in my ministry.
I have read a lot of theology but I often find myself musing on that book--even 30 years after I first read it. I may pull it out and reread it.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:43 am

Gabriel wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
I do have a few of his commentaries - Galations, Ephesians, and Romans apparently, judging by a quick scan of my shelf.
I have never used that series but I did just order his commentary on Ephesians for $1.87 on Amazon. How do you like his commentaries?

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:44 am

UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
I have read a lot of theology but I often find myself musing on that book--even 30 years after I first read it. I may pull it out and reread it.
Another theologian that hasn't formed a systematic theology, but has shaped and influenced me by his theology is Robert Farrar Capon

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:52 am

tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Another theologian that hasn't formed a systematic theology, but has shaped and influenced me by his theology is Robert Farrar Capon
I have never read him. What do you enjoy about him? What do you think is his best work?

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:29 am

UncleBob wrote:
I've recommended Stott to a number of laity in the past. I don't read him often, as I prefer a more academic approach, but he is a solid Sunday read. The Cross of Christ is excellent.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:02 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Onyx wrote:This is the most genteel smackdown ever.
This is generally how it goes when Protestants talk systematic theology.

(And I just jinxed it. Cue Del in 3...2...1...)
You guys are just talking about your favorite authors, right?

It's not like there's eternal truth or consequences if we don't follow the one God has given us.
There it is.

Yes, my favorite part of God's salvation plan for humanity is the entrance theology exam in order to get in heaven. I hear that due to some crowding (thanks, Joel Osteen), they are upping the minimum score from 68% to 71%.
There is no "theology exam" to get into heaven.

There is, however, a tendency among Evangelicals to micro-focus on salvation and heaven. (And often these two things are confused into one thing.) Our relationship with God is much larger than this.
Delsplain it for me again; how do we Protestants think? My favorite part is how you didn't think Calvinists existed anymore until recently.
And I still think that all Calvinists smoke pipes. I have not encountered one of these out in the wild yet.

I know Evangelicals. Wonderful Christian people who often talk about being saved. But authentic Protestants are extremely rare nowadays. I think they are displayed in a special sort of zoo, sometimes called a "college" or "university."
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:19 pm

UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
I have never read him. What do you enjoy about him? What do you think is his best work?
It's kind of hard to sum him up. But most assuredly he has a strong emphasis on grace. He's a bit of an odd ball. A former Episcopalian priest and also food columnist for the New York Times. His writing style is in the vein of a Lewis/Chesterton, not in content, but style, in that his tone is full of wit and clarity and images. He is extremely enjoyable to read.

To demonstrate the oddity, I think his best work (that I've encountered) is actually a cookbook: The Supper of the Lamb. He has an ability to draw out the wonderful in the ordinary. Food and cooking seems to be his best vehicle for this.

That said, he has written a number of books that aren't cookbooks, but deal more with theology in a straightforward manner. I haven't read them all, but what I have read, I've appreciated and was happy to see the same tone carried throughout.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:21 pm

Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

It's not like there's eternal truth or consequences if we don't follow the one God has given us.
There it is.

Yes, my favorite part of God's salvation plan for humanity is the entrance theology exam in order to get in heaven. I hear that due to some crowding (thanks, Joel Osteen), they are upping the minimum score from 68% to 71%.

There is, however, a tendency among Evangelicals to micro-focus on salvation and heaven. (And often these two things are confused into one thing.) Our relationship with God is much larger than this.
Delsplain it for me again; how do we Protestants think? My favorite part is how you didn't think Calvinists existed anymore until recently.
And I still think that all Calvinists smoke pipes. I have not encountered one of these out in the wild yet.

I know Evangelicals. Wonderful Christian people who often talk about being saved. But authentic Protestants are extremely rare nowadays. I think they are displayed in a special sort of zoo, sometimes called a "college" or "university."
Now that you have Delspained Evangelicals, Delsplain the Protestants! Tell us what we believe! w00t!

Del

Post by Del » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:12 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

There it is.

Now that you have Delspained Evangelicals, Delsplain the Protestants! Tell us what we believe! w00t!
If you insist:

A Protestant, properly understood, exists to protest and complain about the Catholic Church. The original Protestants of a half-millenium ago were ardent Christians, especially devoted to Scripture. Modern Protestants are mostly secular atheists, agnostics & Democrats, although some are Christians of the "liberal" sort. They often tend to protest against Evangelical Christianity, as well. In any case, these modern Protestants do not concern themselves with systematic theology.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:38 pm

Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

There it is.

If you insist:

A Protestant, properly understood, exists to protest and complain about the Catholic Church. The original Protestants of a half-millenium ago were ardent Christians, especially devoted to Scripture. Modern Protestants are mostly secular atheists, agnostics & Democrats, although some are Christians of the "liberal" sort. They often tend to protest against Evangelical Christianity, as well. In any case, these modern Protestants do not concern themselves with systematic theology.
Wow.

Any chance that you just have no idea of that which you speak? Most Evangelicals in America are Protestants, Del. Many are even Calvinists. The clergy often are concerned with systematic theology as are many of the laity. Hence they variety of systematic theologians.

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:12 pm

No references to Pannenberg yet?

Grudem was used in my college Systematic Theology course.

Oden (as Joshoowah noted) was used in my seminary course.

I've attempted several times to get through Pannenberg but haven't made it yet.

I also recently picked up Thomas Oden's "John Wesley's Teachings" (4 vols.), a kind of Wesley Systematic Theology.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:19 pm

jruegg wrote:No references to Pannenberg yet?

Grudem was used in my college Systematic Theology course.

Oden (as Joshoowah noted) was used in my seminary course.

I've attempted several times to get through Pannenberg but haven't made it yet.

I also recently picked up Thomas Oden's "John Wesley's Teachings" (4 vols.), a kind of Wesley Systematic Theology.
I have not read Pannenberg. Thoughts?