Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Locked
User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:42 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:24 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm
. . .2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall. . .
Great. I'll have eternal life. As a cow in a barn.
Eh, it's a living.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33423
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by UncleBob » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:43 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:24 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm
. . .2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall. . .
Great. I'll have eternal life. As a cow in a barn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=befjRsZ9LG8
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 5729
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by Goose55 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm
So we have:

1. Only God has immortality.

2. The gift of God is eternal life.

I can see the start of this. God alone is per se immortal, but has given immortal life. Keep going and get me to "Therefore, there is no Hell." I promise not to throw a single monkey wrench into your thoughts. I just want to see if a logical argument can be made for your position.
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm
A perfect scripture is Malachi chapter 4

Malachi 4 King James Version (KJV)

4 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm
Good. We're getting there. Is there anything here that confirms or denies our two premises? What does this verse mean to you? Help me flesh it out. What does this passage mean to you?
What do those verses mean to me? Why must they have a subjective meaning? Can not they simply mean what they say? .
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm
Anything corroborated by the Son of Man?
How 'bout this? ,....."For God so loved the world that He gave His most precious one, so that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Stubble
Ashes
Perish
Last edited by Goose55 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm
So we have:

1. Only God has immortality.

2. The gift of God is eternal life.

I can see the start of this. God alone is per se immortal, but has given immortal life. Keep going and get me to "Therefore, there is no Hell." I promise not to throw a single monkey wrench into your thoughts. I just want to see if a logical argument can be made for your position.
A perfect scripture is Malachi chapter 4

Malachi 4 King James Version (KJV)

4 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.
Good. We're getting there. Is there anything here that confirms or denies our two premises? What does this verse mean to you? Help me flesh it out. What does this passage mean to you?
What do those verses mean to me? Why must they have a subjective meaning? Can not they simply mean what they say? .
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm
Anything corroborated by the Son of Man?
How 'bout this? ,....."For God so loved the world that He gave His most precious one, so that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
[/quote]

Ok, what arguments can you foresee against this. Do we die? Do you believe that everyone goes to heaven? Focus it in a little bit. You know your scriptures. Let's put the best together we can.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 5729
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by Goose55 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:08 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:02 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm
So we have:

1. Only God has immortality.

2. The gift of God is eternal life.

I can see the start of this. God alone is per se immortal, but has given immortal life. Keep going and get me to "Therefore, there is no Hell." I promise not to throw a single monkey wrench into your thoughts. I just want to see if a logical argument can be made for your position.
A perfect scripture is Malachi chapter 4

Malachi 4 King James Version (KJV)

4 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.
Good. We're getting there. Is there anything here that confirms or denies our two premises? What does this verse mean to you? Help me flesh it out. What does this passage mean to you?
What do those verses mean to me? Why must they have a subjective meaning? Can not they simply mean what they say? .
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm
Anything corroborated by the Son of Man?
How 'bout this? ,....."For God so loved the world that He gave His most precious one, so that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:02 pm
Ok, what arguments can you foresee against this. Do we die? Do you believe that everyone goes to heaven? Focus it in a little bit. You know your scriptures. Let's put the best together we can.
Traditional beliefs can be an argument against it, if one wants to make that argument.

Does everyone go to Heaven? What do you think, based on that Malachi Ch 4 passage above?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:13 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm
So we have:

1. Only God has immortality.

2. The gift of God is eternal life.

I can see the start of this. God alone is per se immortal, but has given immortal life. Keep going and get me to "Therefore, there is no Hell." I promise not to throw a single monkey wrench into your thoughts. I just want to see if a logical argument can be made for your position.
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm
A perfect scripture is Malachi chapter 4

Malachi 4 King James Version (KJV)

4 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm
Good. We're getting there. Is there anything here that confirms or denies our two premises? What does this verse mean to you? Help me flesh it out. What does this passage mean to you?
What do those verses mean to me? Why must they have a subjective meaning? Can not they simply mean what they say? .
Do you have no ability to foresee the potential holes in your arguments in order to plan against them? So far, I see pure presuppositionalism.

You either a) can not for some genetic reason put together a coherent argument, in which case I fail to see how you've survived this long or b) are attempting to win by simply saying the same thing over and over again until everyone else goes silent, then claiming "victory." If it's the latter, Sir, it is very ignoble.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:08 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:02 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm
So we have:

1. Only God has immortality.

2. The gift of God is eternal life.

I can see the start of this. God alone is per se immortal, but has given immortal life. Keep going and get me to "Therefore, there is no Hell." I promise not to throw a single monkey wrench into your thoughts. I just want to see if a logical argument can be made for your position.
A perfect scripture is Malachi chapter 4

Malachi 4 King James Version (KJV)

4 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.
Good. We're getting there. Is there anything here that confirms or denies our two premises? What does this verse mean to you? Help me flesh it out. What does this passage mean to you?
What do those verses mean to me? Why must they have a subjective meaning? Can not they simply mean what they say? .
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm
Anything corroborated by the Son of Man?
How 'bout this? ,....."For God so loved the world that He gave His most precious one, so that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:02 pm
Ok, what arguments can you foresee against this. Do we die? Do you believe that everyone goes to heaven? Focus it in a little bit. You know your scriptures. Let's put the best together we can.
Traditional beliefs can be an argument against it, if one wants to make that argument.

Does everyone go to Heaven? What do you think, based on that Malachi Ch 4 passage above?
I think a Jew was promised a very profitable life and victory against his enemies if he was faithful.

I'm becoming more and more convinced you're a presuppositionist. You won't exhaust me, Goose. Put together a cogent argument, all at one time. Prove your argument. Show your work.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 27718
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by coco » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:19 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:43 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:24 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm
. . .2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall. . .
Great. I'll have eternal life. As a cow in a barn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=befjRsZ9LG8
Is Kobe a higher reincarnation than Texas Longhorn?
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33423
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by UncleBob » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:43 pm

coco wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:19 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:43 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:24 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm
. . .2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall. . .
Great. I'll have eternal life. As a cow in a barn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=befjRsZ9LG8
Is Kobe a higher reincarnation than Texas Longhorn?
Never. It is more pampered, however.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 5729
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by Goose55 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:08 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:02 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm
So we have:

1. Only God has immortality.

2. The gift of God is eternal life.

I can see the start of this. God alone is per se immortal, but has given immortal life. Keep going and get me to "Therefore, there is no Hell." I promise not to throw a single monkey wrench into your thoughts. I just want to see if a logical argument can be made for your position.
A perfect scripture is Malachi chapter 4

Malachi 4 King James Version (KJV)

4 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.
Good. We're getting there. Is there anything here that confirms or denies our two premises? What does this verse mean to you? Help me flesh it out. What does this passage mean to you?
What do those verses mean to me? Why must they have a subjective meaning? Can not they simply mean what they say? .
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm
Anything corroborated by the Son of Man?
How 'bout this? ,....."For God so loved the world that He gave His most precious one, so that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:02 pm
Ok, what arguments can you foresee against this. Do we die? Do you believe that everyone goes to heaven? Focus it in a little bit. You know your scriptures. Let's put the best together we can.
Traditional beliefs can be an argument against it, if one wants to make that argument.

Does everyone go to Heaven? What do you think, based on that Malachi Ch 4 passage above?
I think a Jew was promised a very profitable life and victory against his enemies if he was faithful.

I'm becoming more and more convinced you're a presuppositionist. You won't exhaust me, Goose. Put together a cogent argument, all at one time. Prove your argument. Show your work.
Ah, so that's where we were going. Passing judgment. Labeling. I suspected such.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:08 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:02 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm
So we have:

1. Only God has immortality.

2. The gift of God is eternal life.

I can see the start of this. God alone is per se immortal, but has given immortal life. Keep going and get me to "Therefore, there is no Hell." I promise not to throw a single monkey wrench into your thoughts. I just want to see if a logical argument can be made for your position.
A perfect scripture is Malachi chapter 4

Malachi 4 King James Version (KJV)

4 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.
Good. We're getting there. Is there anything here that confirms or denies our two premises? What does this verse mean to you? Help me flesh it out. What does this passage mean to you?
What do those verses mean to me? Why must they have a subjective meaning? Can not they simply mean what they say? .
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm
Anything corroborated by the Son of Man?
How 'bout this? ,....."For God so loved the world that He gave His most precious one, so that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:02 pm
Ok, what arguments can you foresee against this. Do we die? Do you believe that everyone goes to heaven? Focus it in a little bit. You know your scriptures. Let's put the best together we can.
Traditional beliefs can be an argument against it, if one wants to make that argument.

Does everyone go to Heaven? What do you think, based on that Malachi Ch 4 passage above?
I think a Jew was promised a very profitable life and victory against his enemies if he was faithful.

I'm becoming more and more convinced you're a presuppositionist. You won't exhaust me, Goose. Put together a cogent argument, all at one time. Prove your argument. Show your work.
Ah, so that's where we were going. Passing judgment. Labeling. I suspected such.
Nice try, Goose. I'm labeling your argument style, not you. Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't you a former minister? Display your theology.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

davodiva
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:06 pm

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by davodiva » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:24 am

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”

....but then again....

“Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.”

Gentlemen ...I do so hope you are puffing quality - and evocative - pipe n tobac!
Sloppy raggedy-assed old life. I love it. I never want to die. Dennis Trudell

Neurosis is always a substitute for legitimate suffering. :pipe: Carl Jung

Jewish itinerant: מלכות האלוהים נמצאת בתוכך

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 18565
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by wosbald » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:33 am

+JMJ+
davodiva wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:24 am
“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
Goose?




"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
JesusClaus
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by JesusClaus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:12 am

Raptor poo for you! And you! And you!
Oh, you better watch out, you better not sin....

But I am puzzled by the reaction to this thread. Jesus Claus and his Me-mas is genius. Pure genius. - Rusty

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by hugodrax » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:39 am

JesusClaus wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:12 am
Raptor poo for you! And you! And you!
I'll put it with the others.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36446
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by Del » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:26 am

I see no compelling reason to take the poetic prophecies of Malachi literally, while ignoring the straightforward and clear words of Christ concerning the eternal awareness of the wicked in their suffering.
Matthew 13 wrote:The Parable of the Net
47 “Once again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. 48 When it was full, the fishermen pulled it up on the shore. Then they sat down and collected the good fish in baskets, but threw the bad away. 49 This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous 50 and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

51 “Have you understood all these things?” Jesus asked.

“Yes,” they replied.
See? The Apostles understood what Jesus said! And this is what they handed down to us.

The "Kingdom of Heaven" is the Church that Jesus established on earth, for our salvation. He collects sinners into His Kingdom, and strives to make us into saints. ("like a mustard seed which grows into a mighty bush, and all the birds of the air make their homes in its branches")

There will be a judgment for each of us, with eternal consequences. That is what the Apostles taught, and that is what they wrote in the Scriptures.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 5729
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by Goose55 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:21 am

Del wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:26 am
I see no compelling reason to take the poetic prophecies of Malachi literally, while ignoring the straightforward and clear words of Christ concerning the eternal awareness of the wicked in their suffering.
Matthew 13 wrote:The Parable of the Net
47 “Once again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. 48 When it was full, the fishermen pulled it up on the shore. Then they sat down and collected the good fish in baskets, but threw the bad away. 49 This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous 50 and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

51 “Have you understood all these things?” Jesus asked.

“Yes,” they replied.
Last edited by Goose55 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 5729
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by Goose55 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:25 am

Del wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:26 am
I see no compelling reason to take the poetic prophecies of Malachi literally, while ignoring the straightforward and clear words of Christ concerning the eternal awareness of the wicked in their suffering.
Matthew 13 wrote:The Parable of the Net
47 “Once again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. 48 When it was full, the fishermen pulled it up on the shore. Then they sat down and collected the good fish in baskets, but threw the bad away. 49 This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous 50 and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

51 “Have you understood all these things?” Jesus asked.

“Yes,” they replied.
See? The Apostles understood what Jesus said! And this is what they handed down to us.

The "Kingdom of Heaven" is the Church that Jesus established on earth, for our salvation. He collects sinners into His Kingdom, and strives to make us into saints. ("like a mustard seed which grows into a mighty bush, and all the birds of the air make their homes in its branches")

There will be a judgment for each of us, with eternal consequences. That is what the Apostles taught, and that is what they wrote in the Scriptures.
How do we know which prophecies in Malachi are poems, and which are literal? There is a Messianic prophecy in Malachi Ch 3

So weeping and gnashing of teeth, while writhing in flames that never go out. Sounds like a pretty severe punishment. Even for one who does nothing but evil from cradle to grave. If humans get this sentence, what is the punishment for the devil and his fallen angels?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 5729
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by Goose55 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:27 am

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:21 am
Del wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:26 am
I see no compelling reason to take the poetic prophecies of Malachi literally, while ignoring the straightforward and clear words of Christ concerning the eternal awareness of the wicked in their suffering.
Matthew 13 wrote:The Parable of the Net
47 “Once again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. 48 When it was full, the fishermen pulled it up on the shore. Then they sat down and collected the good fish in baskets, but threw the bad away. 49 This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous 50 and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

51 “Have you understood all these things?” Jesus asked.

“Yes,” they replied.
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:21 am
How do we know which prophecies in Malachi are poems, and which are literal? There is a Messianic prophecy in Malachi Ch 3

So weeping and gnashing of teeth, while writhing in flames that never go out. Sounds like a pretty severe punishment. Even for one who does nothing but evil from cradle to grave. If humans get this sentence, what is the punishment for the devil and his fallen angels?
Goose55 wrote: Sorry for the multiple posts. System would not permit deletion in this thread. Not sure why
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33423
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Image
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

Locked