Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Do Humans Really Have Immortal Souls?

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:42 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:24 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm
. . .2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall. . .
Great. I'll have eternal life. As a cow in a barn.
Eh, it's a living.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:43 pm

FredS wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
. . .2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall. . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=befjRsZ9LG8
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm
So we have:

1. Only God has immortality.

2. The gift of God is eternal life.

I can see the start of this. God alone is per se immortal, but has given immortal life. Keep going and get me to "Therefore, there is no Hell." I promise not to throw a single monkey wrench into your thoughts. I just want to see if a logical argument can be made for your position.
Goose55 wrote:
A perfect scripture is Malachi chapter 4

Malachi 4 King James Version (KJV)

4 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.
hugodrax wrote:
Good. We're getting there. Is there anything here that confirms or denies our two premises? What does this verse mean to you? Help me flesh it out. What does this passage mean to you?
What do those verses mean to me? Why must they have a subjective meaning? Can not they simply mean what they say? .
hugodrax wrote:
Anything corroborated by the Son of Man?
How 'bout this? ,....."For God so loved the world that He gave His most precious one, so that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Stubble
Ashes
Perish
Last edited by Goose55 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
So we have:

I can see the start of this. God alone is per se immortal, but has given immortal life. Keep going and get me to "Therefore, there is no Hell." I promise not to throw a single monkey wrench into your thoughts. I just want to see if a logical argument can be made for your position.

4 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.
Good. We're getting there. Is there anything here that confirms or denies our two premises? What does this verse mean to you? Help me flesh it out. What does this passage mean to you?
What do those verses mean to me? Why must they have a subjective meaning? Can not they simply mean what they say? .
hugodrax wrote:
How 'bout this? ,....."For God so loved the world that He gave His most precious one, so that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
[/quote]

Ok, what arguments can you foresee against this. Do we die? Do you believe that everyone goes to heaven? Focus it in a little bit. You know your scriptures. Let's put the best together we can.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:08 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:02 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
So we have:

hugodrax wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Ok, what arguments can you foresee against this. Do we die? Do you believe that everyone goes to heaven? Focus it in a little bit. You know your scriptures. Let's put the best together we can.
Traditional beliefs can be an argument against it, if one wants to make that argument.

Does everyone go to Heaven? What do you think, based on that Malachi Ch 4 passage above?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:13 pm

Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
So we have:

Goose55 wrote:

hugodrax wrote:
Do you have no ability to foresee the potential holes in your arguments in order to plan against them? So far, I see pure presuppositionalism.

You either a) can not for some genetic reason put together a coherent argument, in which case I fail to see how you've survived this long or b) are attempting to win by simply saying the same thing over and over again until everyone else goes silent, then claiming "victory." If it's the latter, Sir, it is very ignoble.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:08 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
So we have:

hugodrax wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Traditional beliefs can be an argument against it, if one wants to make that argument.

Does everyone go to Heaven? What do you think, based on that Malachi Ch 4 passage above?
I think a Jew was promised a very profitable life and victory against his enemies if he was faithful.

I'm becoming more and more convinced you're a presuppositionist. You won't exhaust me, Goose. Put together a cogent argument, all at one time. Prove your argument. Show your work.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:19 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:43 pm
FredS wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Is Kobe a higher reincarnation than Texas Longhorn?
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:43 pm

coco wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:19 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:43 pm
FredS wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Is Kobe a higher reincarnation than Texas Longhorn?
Never. It is more pampered, however.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
So we have:

hugodrax wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

I think a Jew was promised a very profitable life and victory against his enemies if he was faithful.

I'm becoming more and more convinced you're a presuppositionist. You won't exhaust me, Goose. Put together a cogent argument, all at one time. Prove your argument. Show your work.
Ah, so that's where we were going. Passing judgment. Labeling. I suspected such.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
So we have:

hugodrax wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Ah, so that's where we were going. Passing judgment. Labeling. I suspected such.
Nice try, Goose. I'm labeling your argument style, not you. Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't you a former minister? Display your theology.

davodiva
Congregation
Congregation

Post by davodiva » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:24 am

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”

....but then again....

“Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.”

Gentlemen ...I do so hope you are puffing quality - and evocative - pipe n tobac!
Sloppy raggedy-assed old life. I love it. I never want to die. Dennis Trudell

Neurosis is always a substitute for legitimate suffering. :pipe: Carl Jung

Jewish itinerant: מלכות האלוהים נמצאת בתוכך

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:33 am

+JMJ+
davodiva wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:24 am
“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
Goose?

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

JesusClaus
Congregation
Congregation

Post by JesusClaus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:12 am

Raptor poo for you! And you! And you!
Oh, you better watch out, you better not sin....

But I am puzzled by the reaction to this thread. Jesus Claus and his Me-mas is genius. Pure genius. - Rusty

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:39 am

JesusClaus wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:12 am
Raptor poo for you! And you! And you!
I'll put it with the others.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:26 am

I see no compelling reason to take the poetic prophecies of Malachi literally, while ignoring the straightforward and clear words of Christ concerning the eternal awareness of the wicked in their suffering.
Matthew 13 wrote:The Parable of the Net
47 “Once again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. 48 When it was full, the fishermen pulled it up on the shore. Then they sat down and collected the good fish in baskets, but threw the bad away. 49 This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous 50 and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

51 “Have you understood all these things?” Jesus asked.

“Yes,” they replied.
See? The Apostles understood what Jesus said! And this is what they handed down to us.

The "Kingdom of Heaven" is the Church that Jesus established on earth, for our salvation. He collects sinners into His Kingdom, and strives to make us into saints. ("like a mustard seed which grows into a mighty bush, and all the birds of the air make their homes in its branches")

There will be a judgment for each of us, with eternal consequences. That is what the Apostles taught, and that is what they wrote in the Scriptures.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:21 am

Del wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:26 am
I see no compelling reason to take the poetic prophecies of Malachi literally, while ignoring the straightforward and clear words of Christ concerning the eternal awareness of the wicked in their suffering.
47 “Once again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. 48 When it was full, the fishermen pulled it up on the shore. Then they sat down and collected the good fish in baskets, but threw the bad away. 49 This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous 50 and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

“Yes,” they replied.
Last edited by Goose55 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:25 am

Del wrote:

“Yes,” they replied.
See? The Apostles understood what Jesus said! And this is what they handed down to us.

The "Kingdom of Heaven" is the Church that Jesus established on earth, for our salvation. He collects sinners into His Kingdom, and strives to make us into saints. ("like a mustard seed which grows into a mighty bush, and all the birds of the air make their homes in its branches")

There will be a judgment for each of us, with eternal consequences. That is what the Apostles taught, and that is what they wrote in the Scriptures.
How do we know which prophecies in Malachi are poems, and which are literal? There is a Messianic prophecy in Malachi Ch 3

So weeping and gnashing of teeth, while writhing in flames that never go out. Sounds like a pretty severe punishment. Even for one who does nothing but evil from cradle to grave. If humans get this sentence, what is the punishment for the devil and his fallen angels?

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:27 am

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:21 am
Del wrote:

“Yes,” they replied.
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:21 am
How do we know which prophecies in Malachi are poems, and which are literal? There is a Messianic prophecy in Malachi Ch 3

So weeping and gnashing of teeth, while writhing in flames that never go out. Sounds like a pretty severe punishment. Even for one who does nothing but evil from cradle to grave. If humans get this sentence, what is the punishment for the devil and his fallen angels?
Goose55 wrote: Sorry for the multiple posts. System would not permit deletion in this thread. Not sure why

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:27 pm