Can a True Christian Commit the Unpardonable Sin?

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Can a True Christian Commit the Unpardonable Sin?

Post by Fainn » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:17 am

I really want to hear your thoughts on this.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Also what exactly is the unpardonable sin?
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

Roadmaster

Re: Can a True Christian Commit the Unpardonable Sin?

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:24 am

My understanding of this is if you are worried about it you haven't committed it.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:26 am

Roadmaster wrote:My understanding of this is if you are worried about it you haven't committed it.
I had heard that, but is there a Bible verse to back it up?
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:31 am

My understanding is that it is a final, willful and permanent rejection of Jesus and as pointed out in scripture when the Pharisees attributed Gods power through Jesus as being from Satan.

A Christian cannot commit this sin and someone who has committed this sin doesn't care and isn't worried that he has committed this sin.

This would be like asking if a Christian can be demon possessed, which is not possible. How can someone be demon possessed who has the Holy Spirit living in him?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:40 am

Fainn wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:My understanding of this is if you are worried about it you haven't committed it.
Coco would know.

Dr Sinclair
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Dr Sinclair » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:59 am

Jocose wrote:My understanding is that it is a final, willful and permanent rejection of Jesus and as pointed out in scripture when the Pharisees attributed Gods power through Jesus as being from Satan.

A Christian cannot commit this sin and someone who has committed this sin doesn't care and isn't worried that he has committed this sin.

This would be like asking if a Christian can be demon possessed, which is not possible. How can someone be demon possessed who has the Holy Spirit living in him?
+1. :thumbsup:

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:08 am

Unless you're worried about already having committed a sin.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:11 am

Jocose wrote:
Unless he eschewed the Holy Spirit and so invited the demon aboard. Nature abhors a vacuum.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:21 am

“This reference to an unforgivable sin has troubled many unnecessarily. Those who are concerned that they have done something for which Jesus will not forgive them show a very different attitude from the Pharisees, who refused to accept even the most compelling evidence that Jesus was the Son of God. The person who rejects the Spirit’s message about Jesus will not be forgiven. Anyone who seeks Jesus’ forgiveness certainly has not committed the unforgivable sin” [Larry Richards, 735 Baffling Bible Questions Answered (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Fleming H. Revell, 1993), pp. 241-242.].
In other words. . .The person who denies the Spirits message would certainly not be forgiven because they would not even seek forgiveness. Why would they seek something they deny even exists?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:21 am

Hovannes wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Unless he eschewed the Holy Spirit and so invited the demon aboard. Nature abhors a vacuum.
A Christian can be tormented by demonic oppression. Many great saints were oppressed by demons, so no one is immune to them.

It could be that the blasphemous thoughts are the whisperings of a demon, and those despairing thoughts of "unpardonable sin" certainly sound like the song of a demon drumming in your ears.

I do not know what sort of "biblical" answer an Evangelical pastor would give, but there are good pastors here and everywhere who can guide.

The Catholic answer to demonic oppression is sure and simple: Make a good confession to a priest, and know with 100% assurance that the sins are completely forgiven.
John 20 wrote:19 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21 [Jesus] said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” 22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. 23 Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”
Then fill that space with prayer. Devotion to Mary is especially helpful in the battle against demons.... How the demons fear and hate her, and flee from those under her protection! Her dominion over demons is part of the fulfillment of God's earliest promise of salvation:
Genesis 3 wrote:14 Then the Lord God said to the snake:
15 I will put enmity between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and hers;
They will strike at your head,
while you strike at their heel.
Christian art often depicts Mary as standing upon the serpent.

An Evangelical Christian can know Mary and have devotion toward her. Anyone with enough sensitivity to perceive demonic oppression should have no difficulty in knowing and enjoying Mary's presence. Just ask her to stand by you and show Jesus to you... Her greatest joy is helping us to know her Son.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:30 am

FredS wrote:
“This reference to an unforgivable sin has troubled many unnecessarily. Those who are concerned that they have done something for which Jesus will not forgive them show a very different attitude from the Pharisees, who refused to accept even the most compelling evidence that Jesus was the Son of God. The person who rejects the Spirit’s message about Jesus will not be forgiven. Anyone who seeks Jesus’ forgiveness certainly has not committed the unforgivable sin” [Larry Richards, 735 Baffling Bible Questions Answered (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Fleming H. Revell, 1993), pp. 241-242.].
In other words. . .The person who denies the Spirits message would certainly not be forgiven because they would not even seek forgiveness. Why would they seek something they deny even exists?
The people who love that person can seek an exorcist
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/10 ... exorcisms/

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:51 pm

EDIT: Removed because it wasn't helpful or illuminating to the topic at hand.
Last edited by FredS on Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:58 pm

Fainn wrote:
There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:11 pm

Yo, Fainn? You listening?

You're going through a rough patch right now. Youre a little down, but you aren't out. I have a feeling when times get rough, you beat the hell out of yourself. You know what? You're a good guy. We like you.

I'm going to say it again because you need to hear it. You aren't evil. You're beard isn't a false idol. And you're sure as hell not blaspheming against the Holy Spirit. It's not in you.

So pick yourself up. Pray for some strength to get through the down times, some hope that this will get better, and for charity towards your fellow man. Scratch a dog. Look at the beautiful outdoors. Hug your wife. Smoke a pipe.

And for FredS sake, people. You can argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin all you like, but sometimes a man just needs to know he's ok, ok? Tell the man he's ok.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:35 pm

He's OK.
The times when Christ seems to be absent are often the times when he's hanging on the cross right next to yours.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:54 pm

Hovannes wrote:He's OK.
The times when Christ seems to be absent are often the times when he's hanging on the cross right next to yours.
Thank you, Hov, for not mentioning the single set of footprints in the sand.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:00 pm

FredS wrote:
I carry those footprints with me, so I'm never alone.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:18 pm

JimVH wrote:
FredS wrote:

I profoundly dislike that lighter
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:25 pm

hugodrax wrote:
JimVH wrote:
FredS wrote:

I profoundly dislike that lighter
Helped a guy with his broken down car one time... started talking Jesus stuff. Guy said the footprints thing was his favorite Bible passage.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:27 pm

FredS wrote:
You want that I should reference St John of the Cross and the Dark Night of the Soul?