The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:03 pm

The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be? ........

"And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,

3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads."
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by infidel » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:29 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they represent... wait for it... the wind.

I know, I know, you were expecting maybe the Anemoi?
Last edited by infidel on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:29 pm

Beats me.

More garbage has been written attempting to extract definitive, concrete meaning from Revelation than any other book in the Bible.

In every age, some "authority" somewhere has identified the Antichrist as a then living person, attempted to draw a map of the nations represented by imagery, seen proof of the imminent return happening no later than "next Tuesday" in some international conflict, natural disaster or sign of the collapse of morality. (News flash: mankind is fallen)

"Tuesday" passes, and it starts all over again.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who makes definitive statements associating passages in Revelation with the existing map of nations, current conflicts, current or anticipated events or behaviors of persons is doing exegesis above their pay grade.
Last edited by durangopipe on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:37 pm

Some have interpreted the four winds to be destructive winds of strife. The angels were commanded not to let go until God's servants were sealed in their foreheads with the seal of God, which we know is the Holy Spirit.

Psalm 2"
"Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against his anointed, saying, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us."

"He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision. Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure."
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:17 pm

Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:08 am

"I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree. Then I saw another angel coming up from the east, having the seal of the living God. He called out in a loud voice to the four angels who had been given power to harm the land and the sea: 3 “Do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we put a seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God.” Revelation 7:1,2

Matthew Henry's Commentary on Revelation 7:1,2....

"While some of the angels were employed to restrain Satan and his agents, another angel was employed to mark out and distinguish the faithful servants of God. How they were distinguished—the seal of God was set upon their foreheads, a seal known to Him, and as plain as if it appeared in their foreheads; by this mark they were set apart for mercy and safety in the worst of times."

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:26 am

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:46 am

As explained by this pastor[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me2H7Ja93Wg][/url]
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:48 am

Fainn wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:46 am
As explained by this pastor[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me2H7Ja93Wg][/url]
This is the other POV. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Fainn wrote:
That's just too funny, Fainn.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:00 pm

"And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.
Clearly, the visionary is a flat earther.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:10 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:00 pm

That is what most believed/ perceived back then, for they had little to no astronomic knowledge. If in his vision, he saw earth as a sphere, it would have been questioned. This is good biblical interpretation, really, for we look at it through the eyes of those that lived in that day.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:18 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:48 am
Fainn wrote:
This is the other POV. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Wow! Rick is over 330,000,000 views.

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:10 pm
DepartedLight wrote:

That is what most believed/ perceived back then, for they had little to no astronomic knowledge. If in his vision, he saw earth as a sphere, it would have been questioned. This is good biblical interpretation, really, for we look at it through the eyes of those that lived in that day.
Actually, I'm not so sure the ancients believed the Earth was flat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth

The Four Corners are simply a poetic depiction of the totality of a thing, and correspondingly, I was taught that the Four Winds refer to the totality of the powers of Earth. Basically, St. John is saying that God steps in with His Angels, takes charge, and everything stops. It sets the stage as an eerie, silent calm before the drama takes place.

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:58 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:03 pm

2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,

3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads."
Same as Zechariah 6?

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:09 pm

jruegg wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:58 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:03 pm

Same as Zechariah 6?
Well, in that John and Zechariah are both describing what they saw revealed, yes. But I don't know that Zech 6 is an end time prophecy. Whereas, Rev 7 definitely is.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:40 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:29 pm
Beats me.

More garbage has been written attempting to extract definitive, concrete meaning from Revelation than any other book in the Bible.

In every age, some "authority" somewhere has identified the Antichrist as a then living person, attempted to draw a map of the nations represented by imagery, seen proof of the imminent return happening no later than "next Tuesday" in some international conflict, natural disaster or sign of the collapse of morality. (News flash: mankind is fallen)

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who makes definitive statements associating passages in Revelation with the existing map of nations, current conflicts, current or anticipated events or behaviors of persons is doing exegesis above their pay grade.
+3.7
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:04 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:40 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:29 pm
Beats me.

+3.7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0291wI1J5E

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Goose55 wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:

Egypt called. But then Greece cut in. China killed the whole phone switch to chime in. Then The Vikings walked in like they always do and decimated everyone and everything. Is there a public library in your town?

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:39 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:19 pm
Goose55 wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:

Egypt called. But then Greece cut in. China killed the whole phone switch to chime in. Then The Vikings walked in like they always do and decimated everyone and everything. Is there a public library in your town?
Yes. Why do you ask?