The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 6204
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:03 pm

The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be? ........

"And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,

3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads."
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai
Posts: 6483
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by infidel » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:29 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they represent... wait for it... the wind.

I know, I know, you were expecting maybe the Anemoi?
Last edited by infidel on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5279
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:29 pm

Beats me.

More garbage has been written attempting to extract definitive, concrete meaning from Revelation than any other book in the Bible.

In every age, some "authority" somewhere has identified the Antichrist as a then living person, attempted to draw a map of the nations represented by imagery, seen proof of the imminent return happening no later than "next Tuesday" in some international conflict, natural disaster or sign of the collapse of morality. (News flash: mankind is fallen)

"Tuesday" passes, and it starts all over again.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who makes definitive statements associating passages in Revelation with the existing map of nations, current conflicts, current or anticipated events or behaviors of persons is doing exegesis above their pay grade.
Last edited by durangopipe on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 6204
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:37 pm

Some have interpreted the four winds to be destructive winds of strife. The angels were commanded not to let go until God's servants were sealed in their foreheads with the seal of God, which we know is the Holy Spirit.

Psalm 2"
"Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against his anointed, saying, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us."

"He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision. Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure."
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:17 pm

Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 6204
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:08 am

"I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree. Then I saw another angel coming up from the east, having the seal of the living God. He called out in a loud voice to the four angels who had been given power to harm the land and the sea: 3 “Do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we put a seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God.” Revelation 7:1,2

Matthew Henry's Commentary on Revelation 7:1,2....

"While some of the angels were employed to restrain Satan and his agents, another angel was employed to mark out and distinguish the faithful servants of God. How they were distinguished—the seal of God was set upon their foreheads, a seal known to Him, and as plain as if it appeared in their foreheads; by this mark they were set apart for mercy and safety in the worst of times."
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10575
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by A_Morley » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:26 am

Image
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far
Posts: 3468
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by Fainn » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:46 am

As explained by this pastor[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me2H7Ja93Wg][/url]
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 32277
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by John-Boy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:48 am

Fainn wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:46 am
As explained by this pastor[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me2H7Ja93Wg][/url]
This is the other POV. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 6204
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Fainn wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:46 am
As explained by this pastor[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me2H7Ja93Wg][/url]
That's just too funny, Fainn.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 26693
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:00 pm


"And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.
Clearly, the visionary is a flat earther.

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 6204
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:10 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:00 pm

"And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.
Clearly, the visionary is a flat earther.
That is what most believed/ perceived back then, for they had little to no astronomic knowledge. If in his vision, he saw earth as a sphere, it would have been questioned. This is good biblical interpretation, really, for we look at it through the eyes of those that lived in that day.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Roadmaster
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12936
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:18 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:48 am
Fainn wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:46 am
As explained by this pastor[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me2H7Ja93Wg][/url]
This is the other POV. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Wow! Rick is over 330,000,000 views.

User avatar
colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough
Posts: 8154
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by colton » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:10 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:00 pm

"And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.
Clearly, the visionary is a flat earther.
That is what most believed/ perceived back then, for they had little to no astronomic knowledge. If in his vision, he saw earth as a sphere, it would have been questioned. This is good biblical interpretation, really, for we look at it through the eyes of those that lived in that day.
Actually, I'm not so sure the ancients believed the Earth was flat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth

The Four Corners are simply a poetic depiction of the totality of a thing, and correspondingly, I was taught that the Four Winds refer to the totality of the powers of Earth. Basically, St. John is saying that God steps in with His Angels, takes charge, and everything stops. It sets the stage as an eerie, silent calm before the drama takes place.

User avatar
jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs
Posts: 25541
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kingdom of God (Mk 1:15)
Contact:

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by jruegg » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:58 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:03 pm
The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be? ........

"And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,

3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads."
Same as Zechariah 6?
Image

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 6204
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:09 pm

jruegg wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:58 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:03 pm
The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be? ........

"And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,

3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads."
Same as Zechariah 6?
Well, in that John and Zechariah are both describing what they saw revealed, yes. But I don't know that Zech 6 is an end time prophecy. Whereas, Rev 7 definitely is.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20396
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by Jocose » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:40 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:29 pm
Beats me.

More garbage has been written attempting to extract definitive, concrete meaning from Revelation than any other book in the Bible.

In every age, some "authority" somewhere has identified the Antichrist as a then living person, attempted to draw a map of the nations represented by imagery, seen proof of the imminent return happening no later than "next Tuesday" in some international conflict, natural disaster or sign of the collapse of morality. (News flash: mankind is fallen)

"Tuesday" passes, and it starts all over again.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who makes definitive statements associating passages in Revelation with the existing map of nations, current conflicts, current or anticipated events or behaviors of persons is doing exegesis above their pay grade.
+3.7
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough
Posts: 8154
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by colton » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:04 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:40 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:29 pm
Beats me.

More garbage has been written attempting to extract definitive, concrete meaning from Revelation than any other book in the Bible.

In every age, some "authority" somewhere has identified the Antichrist as a then living person, attempted to draw a map of the nations represented by imagery, seen proof of the imminent return happening no later than "next Tuesday" in some international conflict, natural disaster or sign of the collapse of morality. (News flash: mankind is fallen)

"Tuesday" passes, and it starts all over again.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who makes definitive statements associating passages in Revelation with the existing map of nations, current conflicts, current or anticipated events or behaviors of persons is doing exegesis above their pay grade.
+3.7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0291wI1J5E

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 26693
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:10 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:00 pm

"And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.
Clearly, the visionary is a flat earther.
That is what most believed/ perceived back then, for they had little to no astronomic knowledge. If in his vision, he saw earth as a sphere, it would have been questioned. This is good biblical interpretation, really, for we look at it through the eyes of those that lived in that day.
Egypt called. But then Greece cut in. China killed the whole phone switch to chime in. Then The Vikings walked in like they always do and decimated everyone and everything. Is there a public library in your town?

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 6204
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: The Four Winds Of Revelation 7. What Could They Be?

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:39 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:19 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:10 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:00 pm

"And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.
Clearly, the visionary is a flat earther.
That is what most believed/ perceived back then, for they had little to no astronomic knowledge. If in his vision, he saw earth as a sphere, it would have been questioned. This is good biblical interpretation, really, for we look at it through the eyes of those that lived in that day.
Egypt called. But then Greece cut in. China killed the whole phone switch to chime in. Then The Vikings walked in like they always do and decimated everyone and everything. Is there a public library in your town?
Yes. Why do you ask?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Post Reply