For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Re: Water Baptism

Post by gaining_age » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:17 pm

Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:Furthering A-Morely's comment . . .Is a second (or fourth as may be the case) baptism a prohibited act?

Multiple baptisms, to me, smack of the image of human works leading to salvation. If we understand that Christ's work was perfectly finished in an original, valid baptism, what more can we add by doing it multiple times? Most church's have other means of reaffirming ones original baptism that are certainly worthwhile and a more appropriate activity for publicly proclaiming a newer or truer level of faith. To build on the original baptism, not re-do it.
First time I wasn't saved, so it was invalid in the eyes of G-d. The fourth time G-d told me as a sign of a new covenant he was making with me. Immersion could mean separation into the priesthood or for uncleaniless. However, baptism does not save and as for the outward showing of baptism, only one is nessecary upon being saved. But when G-d tells you to something, you ought to do it.
Amen
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:29 pm

Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:Furthering A-Morely's comment . . .Is a second (or fourth as may be the case) baptism a prohibited act?

Multiple baptisms, to me, smack of the image of human works leading to salvation. If we understand that Christ's work was perfectly finished in an original, valid baptism, what more can we add by doing it multiple times? Most church's have other means of reaffirming ones original baptism that are certainly worthwhile and a more appropriate activity for publicly proclaiming a newer or truer level of faith. To build on the original baptism, not re-do it.
First time I wasn't saved, so it was invalid in the eyes of G-d. The fourth time G-d told me as a sign of a new covenant he was making with me. Immersion could mean separation into the priesthood or for uncleaniless. However, baptism does not save and as for the outward showing of baptism, only one is nessecary upon being saved. But when G-d tells you to something, you ought to do it.
How did you know it was God speaking to you about the fourth baptism? Did you card him? 'Cause I gotta tell that's a 0 mod 4 kinda thing and that's not God. Rather it might be the other one. Five might be the charm, right? Think about it. And the good news is that you're fine right through to 7. Just stay away from the 0 mod 4 cases.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:24 pm

Fainn wrote:

This raises many more questions, but - out of respect for Jo - I'll not muddy the water right now.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:07 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fainn wrote:

How did you know it was God speaking to you about the fourth baptism? Did you card him? 'Cause I gotta tell that's a 0 mod 4 kinda thing and that's not God. Rather it might be the other one. Five might be the charm, right? Think about it. And the good news is that you're fine right through to 7. Just stay away from the 0 mod 4 cases.
I know it was G-d because the night before, I came to Him the night before begging Him for mercy. The day after the 4th baptism, G-d proved He existed. Short version is that the I traveled the furthest away I had ever been from home. At 613 miles, the same number of commandments in the Torah. This spot happened to be the location of a Books-a-millions store. G-d tells me to buy a book called The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah by a Jewish man who converted to Christianity. On the very first page in the very first sentence, the words "would fain hope" appeared. Did I mention this took place during the Feast of Unleavened Bread? The whole testimony would take about 20 minutes to tell including a $550 miracle. But how often does anyone get tangible evidence of G-d's existence?
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:45 pm

Fainn wrote:. . . But how often does anyone get tangible evidence of G-d's existence?
You mean besides seeing the sun rise every morning?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:55 pm

FredS wrote:
Fainn wrote:. . . But how often does anyone get tangible evidence of G-d's existence?
Local atheist demands evidence for God
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:57 pm

FredS wrote:
So gravity and orbits are God? He's pantheistic! I knew it! 8)

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:09 pm

Thunktank wrote:
FredS wrote:
So gravity and orbits are God? He's pantheistic! I knew it! 8)
There are a few layers to my comment. One - the universe. Two - the perfect arrangement of burning rocks and not burning rocks that create just the right bit of gravity. Three - life somehow developed on this particular not-burning rock. Four - I'm part of it. Five - I woke up this morning. Six - the amazing bits of goo we call eyes allowed me to see the sun rise.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:00 pm

Jocose wrote:
FredS wrote:
That's not an atheist. It's like you talking about Harry Potter causing anything to happen. For an atheist God is like Harry Potter is for Christians. They're both fictional characters. I'm a double atheist. Don't believe in Harry Potter either.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:34 pm

Rusty wrote:
Jocose wrote:
FredS wrote:
That's not an atheist. It's like you talking about Harry Potter causing anything to happen. For an atheist God is like Harry Potter is for Christians. They're both fictional characters. I'm a double atheist. Don't believe in Harry Potter either.
ONE WORD:
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Jocose wrote:Thoughts on water baptism?

I've heard Thru the grapevine that I may be baptized again in the Orthodox Church eventually after my prospect, <....snip....>
HAHAHAHAHA That's is SO appropriate for this thread! As pointed out, you were baptized in water, in the name of FSH. With God you're good-to-go, with the MCs not so much... :prayin: :signofcross: :D :dance: :lol: :P

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:00 pm

AFRS wrote:

I've heard Thru the grapevine that I may be baptized again in the Orthodox Church eventually after my prospect, <....snip....>
HAHAHAHAHA That's is SO appropriate for this thread! As pointed out, you were baptized in water, in the name of FSH. With God you're good-to-go, with the MCs not so much... :prayin: :signofcross: :D :dance: :lol: :P
I'm a Christian moped rider in a moped enthusiast riding club, not an MC, I still wave at Harley riders tho but they never wave back.

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:02 pm

Jocose wrote:
AFRS wrote:

I'm a Christian moped rider in a moped enthusiast riding club, not an MC, I still wave at Harley riders tho but they never wave back.
:D Uh huh. I've seen pix of you on your hawg.
Fat Boy if I recall correctly.

It's hit & miss with Harleys. The so called 1% will NEVER wave but the rest generally do.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:06 pm

AFRS wrote:
Jocose wrote:
AFRS wrote:

:D Uh huh. I've seen pix of you on your hawg.
Fat Boy if I recall correctly.

It's hit & miss with Harleys. The so called 1% will NEVER wave but the rest generally do.
IDK about all that but thanks for the pointers.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:28 am

My Pentecostal friends say that there is also a "Baptism of the Holy Spirit," which is different from the "water baptism."

Whatever. The early Christians believed that one could be baptized only once, "in water and the spirit," and with this baptism one is reborn in Christ. All past sins are forgiven, even the sin of Adam into which we are conceived.

I am curious to learn more as Jocose's formation continues.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:36 am

Fainn wrote:I've been baptized 4 times.
Once when I was 7 because I thought it got you into Heaven. The second time was when I was 12 when I really got saved. The third time was washing away a bad relationship. The fourth time was in 2015 when I heard G-d tell me to immerse myself in the pool because it was the sign of a covenant he was making with me. I say go ahead and be baptized as part of the new covenant you will be making with your faith.
Just for sake of context so I might understand your comments better, what denomination or tradition are you? I've never heard of self baptism as a sign of an individual covenant being made with God.
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:07 am

tuttle wrote:
Once when I was 7 because I thought it got you into Heaven. The second time was when I was 12 when I really got saved. The third time was washing away a bad relationship. The fourth time was in 2015 when I heard G-d tell me to immerse myself in the pool because it was the sign of a covenant he was making with me. I say go ahead and be baptized as part of the new covenant you will be making with your faith.
Just for sake of context so I might understand your comments better, what denomination or tradition are you? I've never heard of self baptism as a sign of an individual covenant being made with God.
Nor as a means to wash away a bad relationship. Seems rather flippant.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:42 am

My Catholic friends say that there is also a "Baptism by fire," which is different from the "water baptism."

Whatever. The early Christians believed that one could be born physically once, and spiritually once, "Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit." Baptism with water symbolized being born spiritually in Christ, parallel to being born physically through the water in the womb.

I am curious to learn more as Jocose's formation continues.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:59 am

tuttle wrote:
My faith is Messianic Judaism. As far as being baptized for conversion, that needs only to take place once. However, immersions can occur for a variety of other different reasons, such as purification after sex, after childbirth, separation for priesthood, etc. Self-immersion was the norm in Jesus' day and no one was actually held underwater by another person. John the Baptist oversaw the immersions, he didn't actually hold anyone under water. In times past, covenants were made through the shedding of blood. But now Messiah is the final sacrifice so this no longer nessecary. But G-d will still make a sign. In my case, it happened to be through immersion.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:07 pm

John-Boy wrote:
My Catholic friends say that there is also a "Baptism by fire," which is different from the "water baptism."
is that the same as "baptism by blood"?

and don't forget "baptism by desire"
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip