Moderator: tuttle

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: Water Baptism

Post by wosbald » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:18 pm

+JMJ+

Baptism opens door to Holy Spirit's action, pope says
Pope Francis leads a prayer during his general audience in St. Peter's Square at the Vatican April 11. (CNS/Paul Haring)

Vatican City — Parents who prefer not to baptize their children in the hopes that they will "understand and ask for baptism" as adults lack faith that the Holy Spirit will act in their child's life, Pope Francis said.

While some believe that there is no need to "baptize a child that does not understand" the meaning of the sacrament, the pope said doing so would deny the chance for "Christian virtues to grow within that child and blossom."

"Always give this opportunity to all children: to have within themselves the Holy Spirit that will guide them in life. Do not forget to baptize your children," the pope said during his weekly general audience in St. Peter's Square April 11.

[…]

In his main talk, Francis reflected on the sacrament of baptism as "the foundation of Christian life."

As the first of seven sacraments, he said, baptism "is the door that permits Christ the Lord to make his dwelling in us and allows us to immerse ourselves in his mystery."

While being immersed in water is a common ritual "in various beliefs" that signifies the passing from one condition to another, Francis said Christians must never forget that just as the body is immersed in water at baptism, so is the soul "immersed in Christ to receive forgiveness from sin and shine with divine light."

"By virtue of the Holy Spirit, baptism immerses us in the death and resurrection of the Lord, drowning the old man -- dominated by the sin that divides us from God -- in the baptismal font and giving birth to the new man, recreated in Jesus. In Him, all the sons of Adam are called to new life," the pope said.

The pope, who often tells people to look up the date of their baptism, called on those who don't remember the date to ask their family and to celebrate it like a birthday and "give thanks to the Lord because it was on that day when Jesus entered" in their lives.

"We should all know the date of our baptism. It is another birthday, it is the day of our rebirth," he said.

Although baptism occurs only once in a Christian's life, Francis said, "it illuminates our entire life, guiding our steps until (we reach) the heavenly Jerusalem."

"No one deserves baptism, which is always a gift for everyone, adults and newborns. But like what happens to a seed full of life, this gift takes root and brings forth fruit in a land nourished by faith," the pope said.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:38 am

wosbald wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:18 pm
+JMJ+

Baptism opens door to Holy Spirit's action, pope says
Pope Francis leads a prayer during his general audience in St. Peter's Square at the Vatican April 11. (CNS/Paul Haring)

Vatican City — Parents who prefer not to baptize their children in the hopes that they will "understand and ask for baptism" as adults lack faith that the Holy Spirit will act in their child's life, Pope Francis said.

While some believe that there is no need to "baptize a child that does not understand" the meaning of the sacrament, the pope said doing so would deny the chance for "Christian virtues to grow within that child and blossom."

"Always give this opportunity to all children: to have within themselves the Holy Spirit that will guide them in life. Do not forget to baptize your children," the pope said during his weekly general audience in St. Peter's Square April 11.

[…]

In his main talk, Francis reflected on the sacrament of baptism as "the foundation of Christian life."

As the first of seven sacraments, he said, baptism "is the door that permits Christ the Lord to make his dwelling in us and allows us to immerse ourselves in his mystery."

While being immersed in water is a common ritual "in various beliefs" that signifies the passing from one condition to another, Francis said Christians must never forget that just as the body is immersed in water at baptism, so is the soul "immersed in Christ to receive forgiveness from sin and shine with divine light."

"By virtue of the Holy Spirit, baptism immerses us in the death and resurrection of the Lord, drowning the old man -- dominated by the sin that divides us from God -- in the baptismal font and giving birth to the new man, recreated in Jesus. In Him, all the sons of Adam are called to new life," the pope said.

The pope, who often tells people to look up the date of their baptism, called on those who don't remember the date to ask their family and to celebrate it like a birthday and "give thanks to the Lord because it was on that day when Jesus entered" in their lives.

"We should all know the date of our baptism. It is another birthday, it is the day of our rebirth," he said.

Although baptism occurs only once in a Christian's life, Francis said, "it illuminates our entire life, guiding our steps until (we reach) the heavenly Jerusalem."

"No one deserves baptism, which is always a gift for everyone, adults and newborns. But like what happens to a seed full of life, this gift takes root and brings forth fruit in a land nourished by faith," the pope said.
The idea of remembering , reflecting, and improving on your baptism is something that I've thought should be done way more often than it is. This is especially true for covenant children who were baptized as infants and, to a degree, those adults who witnessed that baptism. I would really appreciate it if our church worked in some sort of baptism movement into our weekly liturgy even if the actual sacrament of baptism isn't taking place.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed May 09, 2018 9:01 am

+JMJ+

Pope at general audience: Nothing can erase baptism
Pope Francis arrives for his weekly general audience, in St. Peter's Square, at the Vatican, Wednesday, May 9, 2018. (Credit: Andrew Medichini/AP.)

ROME — Pope Francis said Wednesday that nothing can take away a person’s baptism or the salvation and identity they gain as a child of God, which is why the Church only allows for the sacrament to be administered once.

“Baptism is not repeated because it imprints an indelible spiritual sign: This sign is never erased by any sin, though sin prevents baptism from bringing the fruit of salvation,” the pope said during his May 9 general audience.

Just as parents give their children earthly life, the Church gives spiritual life through baptism, making each person a son of God through Jesus Christ, he said, explaining that at the moment of baptism, God tells each person that “you are my beloved child.”

“This paternal voice, imperceptible to the ear but well audible to the heart of those who believe, accompanies us for our entire lives, without abandoning us,” he said, adding that this is why the Church believes in only one baptism for salvation.

[…]

The baptismal font is the place where one actually rises with Christ, he said, adding that in baptism, “the old man is buried, with his deceptive passions, so that he is reborn as a new creature.”

“At the same time you die and are born, and the same salutary wave becomes for you tomb and mother,” the pope said, quoting St. Cyril of Jerusalem.

Man’s rebirth as a new creation, then, naturally “demands that the man corrupted by sin is reduced to dust,” he said, adding that the images of the tomb and of the maternal womb referred to by St. Cyril are “incisive” phrases which express the reality of what happens during baptism.

To be incorporated in the body of Christ through baptism means one must also conform to him, Francis said, adding that the action of the Holy Spirit during the sacrament purifies, sanctifies and justifies the person in order to bring them into one body united to Christ.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Wed May 09, 2018 2:44 pm

I was talking with a Mennonite friend the other day. There are two main sects of Mennonites up here: the MBs (Mennonite Brethren) and the GCs (General Conference).

They all practiced "believer baptism," of course. But the MBs practice immersion, while the GCs practice sprinkling.

This friend grew up in a GC home. He said his dad referred to the MBs, with disdain, as the "too wet MBs." That made me lol.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed May 09, 2018 3:07 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:44 pm
I was talking with a Mennonite friend the other day. There are two main sects of Mennonites up here: the MBs (Mennonite Brethren) and the GCs (General Conference).

They all practiced "believer baptism," of course. But the MBs practice immersion, while the GCs practice sprinkling.

This friend grew up in a GC home. He said his dad referred to the MBs, with disdain, as the "too wet MBs." That made me lol.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
My Dad was baptized by sprinkling by a Mennonite preacher in a river while my mother was dunked by immersion. The preacher didn’t want to get baptized again himself trying to baptize my dad in that river! A couple of years later that Mennonite Church went belly up and my mother decided our family was better suited to be Baptists. They determined that dad wasn’t baptized properly so he got baptized again.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle