For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

ChildOfGod
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Last line of Psalm 23?

Post by ChildOfGod » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:10 pm

:wavey:

What are the final words of Psalm 23 and how do you know they are correct (what's your ultimate source)?
In Christ by Apostolic and Reformed Faith

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Last line of Psalm 23?

Post by hugodrax » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:24 pm

He is the King of Glory.

I can count correctly.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi Eric. It's been a long time.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The Guacamole yoda was life changing " ~ John-Boy

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:50 pm

ChildOfGod wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:10 pm

What are the final words of Psalm 23 and how do you know they are correct (what's your ultimate source)?
"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Dead Sea Psalms Scrolls are the most substantial and well preserved Dead Sea Scrolls manuscripts of the thirty-seven discovered in the Qumran caves

"Either fragments or complete copies were found of every book in the Old Testament except Esther. They had been placed in these caves around the middle of the first century AD, and the amazing fact is that they had lain there undisturbed for 1900 years!

"The texts are amazingly similar to the documents we already have. The variations are less than two percent, and not a single teaching or doctrine of the Bible we have is altered."

~ from:
https://www.biblica.com/bible/bible-faq ... a-scrolls/
Last edited by Goose55 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:51 pm

What am I missing?
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:06 pm

The fact that the Psalms have been renumbered and there's a question about whether the Hebrews or the Greeks were right?

I propose a Fainn vs. Sid cage match.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:18 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:06 pm
The fact that the Psalms have been renumbered?
Right. There are no chapters and verses in the scrolls; Old or New Testament. They were added for ease of reference.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:19 pm

I say we both get a cookie, Goose.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:18 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Right. There are no chapters and verses in the scrolls; Old or New Testament. They were added for ease of reference.
The chapter numbers were added by monks copying the Scriptures, sometime around the 8th century. There were a few different systems in use, especially as the Psalms were diced up. There was a convention of the Eastern Church, and another in the West.

The verse numbers were added by a printer in the 15th century. I have lost his name... legend has it that he penciled the numbers in while he was riding a horse on a long journey, then set them to type.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:29 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:56 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:18 pm
hugodrax wrote:
The chapter numbers were added by monks copying the Scriptures, sometime around the 8th century. There were a few different systems in use, especially as the Psalms were diced up. There was a convention of the Eastern Church, and another in the West.

The verse numbers were added by a printer in the 15th century. I have lost his name... legend has it that he penciled the numbers in while he was riding a horse on a long journey, then set them to type.
Was it Brother Hewlett?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

ChildOfGod

Post by ChildOfGod » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:35 am

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:50 pm
ChildOfGod wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:10 pm

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Dead Sea Psalms Scrolls are the most substantial and well preserved Dead Sea Scrolls manuscripts of the thirty-seven discovered in the Qumran caves

"Either fragments or complete copies were found of every book in the Old Testament except Esther. They had been placed in these caves around the middle of the first century AD, and the amazing fact is that they had lain there undisturbed for 1900 years!

"The texts are amazingly similar to the documents we already have. The variations are less than two percent, and not a single teaching or doctrine of the Bible we have is altered."

~ from:
https://www.biblica.com/bible/bible-faq ... a-scrolls/
infidel wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:51 pm
What am I missing?
Well, if you take a look at what Goose proposed, which is what I had also assumed, you have one theological implication. But I'm not sure that the hebrew translates to forever. I do not know hebrew, and I'm relying on online Bible translations, but from what I see there might be a difference that matters. I think the hebrew might relate more closely to the Roman Catholic than the Evangelical (ESV, NIV) which I most often read.

I wonder how the Septuagint translates, and perhaps the Evangelical interpretation is based more upon it?
Jocose wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:42 pm
Hi Eric. It's been a long time.
Hey there Jo. It has. Hoping all is well with you and yours.
In Christ by Apostolic and Reformed Faith

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:44 am

Ok, I did see footnotes that related "forever" to Hebrew meaning "measure of days", and a couple of translations that rendered it "my entire life" rather than "forever". Is that all this is about?
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:10 am

infidel wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:44 am
Ok, I did see footnotes that related "forever" to Hebrew meaning "measure of days", and a couple of translations that rendered it "my entire life" rather than "forever". Is that all this is about?
This is an interesting point you bring up. As I am ruminating here, my thoughts turned to a verse in the book of Job, which seem to support life beyond these few, brief ones we know:

Job 19:25-27

“I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes—I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!”

C.S. Lewis uses this verse in support of what he felt was God's valuing individuality, "I myself will see him with my own eyes—I, and not another." Surely, that can not mean that Job would be the only one to see God.

Here is a link to related material:

http://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-st ... ament.html

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 pm

If it doesn't change God's character as revealed in the entire sweep of scripture, does it really matter?