Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

User avatar
Bdaily
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:43 pm

Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by Bdaily » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:39 pm

I grew up Independent Baptist but praise the Lord, became Anglican several years ago.

BUT.

I've been devouring Chesterton and have the eerie feeling that my Conversion is yet unfinished.

Anyone else make a similar journey?
"Bread is made for laughter,
and wine gladdens life,
and money answers everything."

Ecclesiastes 10.19

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 18715
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by wosbald » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:58 pm

+JMJ+

Good on ya, mate!




"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 6173
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:24 pm

When I was a licensed contractor in California, did quite a bit of work for the Trappist Monastery just north of Chico. Always felt so good there. Peaceful.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 27879
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by coco » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:24 pm
When I was a licensed contractor in California, did quite a bit of work for the Trappist Monastery just north of Chico. Always felt so good there. Peaceful.
I have found Buddhist monasteries to be rather peaceful. Perhaps he should try one of those.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36699
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by Del » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:17 pm

Bdaily wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:39 pm
I grew up Independent Baptist but praise the Lord, became Anglican several years ago.

BUT.

I've been devouring Chesterton and have the eerie feeling that my Conversion is yet unfinished.

Anyone else make a similar journey?
Dale Ahlquist, president of the American Chesterton Society, went straight from Baptist to Catholic, via GKC.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Bdaily
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:43 pm

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by Bdaily » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Del wrote:
Bdaily wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:39 pm
I grew up Independent Baptist but praise the Lord, became Anglican several years ago.

BUT.

I've been devouring Chesterton and have the eerie feeling that my Conversion is yet unfinished.

Anyone else make a similar journey?
Dale Ahlquist, president of the American Chesterton Society, went straight from Baptist to Catholic, via GKC.
Not surprised. I'm reading his book "Common Sense 101" right now. 30 pages from being done. Read almost the entire book yesterday. Couldn't put it down.

I've read Chesterton briefly here and there but always the outskirts. Diving into his writing more is life changing. I feel as though I'm being actually educated for the first time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Bread is made for laughter,
and wine gladdens life,
and money answers everything."

Ecclesiastes 10.19

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 17117
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by TNLawPiper » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:00 pm

I'm a convert from (officially) Baptism to Catholicism, by way not of Chesterton but Mark Shea (and Dug, Del, wosbald) and the Holy Spirit.

I heard it said quite well once that what makes Catholicism great is that it is religion for both those who must analyze and understand every piece and those who know little more than the Eucharist.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8915
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:04 pm

I've been slowly converting for years. But I'll always be an evangelical, and likely always worship at a Baptist Church.

Prayers your way in your journey.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 26675
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:48 pm

"The Doors! The Doors!"

" ... and give us this day our daily bread ..."

'Tis a fine path to tread.

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21357
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Texas Bound

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by Thunktank » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:02 pm

My whole life is a "conversion" that's for sure! Been there and doing that,always.
Image

User avatar
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
Posts: 2962
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington
Contact:

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by Sir Moose » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:10 pm

I can see a lot of appealing things in the Catholic Church, but the theology is a deal-breaker for me. I'll stay where I'm at, thanks.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

User avatar
CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:31 pm
Location: Between the corn and soybean fields.
Contact:

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by CW Spook » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:43 pm

My wife and I are out of Methodist/Presbyterian backgrounds and actually helped plant a non-denomination evangelical church in 2005. We're moving out of the house we've lived in for 44 years to be closer to our kids and are starting RCIA classes next month. We've grown past the treatment of baptism as 'fun', and the Eucharist as a throw-away remembrance done once a month. I could probably be referred to as an Ortho-Catholic, as we'd likely move to the Orthodox Church if there was one anywhere nearby, which there is not, and we want to be participating members of a parish that appreciates patristic foundations.
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 12535
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by tuttle » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:38 am

Do you really want help? :wink:

I'm a HUGE devourer/admirer/disciple of Chesterton and am comfortable not converting to Catholicism. So was C.S. Lewis, come to think of it.
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 18715
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by wosbald » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:21 am

+JMJ+
tuttle wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:38 am
Do you really want help? :wink:

I'm a HUGE devourer/admirer/disciple of Chesterton and am comfortable not converting to Catholicism. So was C.S. Lewis, come to think of it.
Yes, but TTBOMK, Lewis was not full-on Protestant. He seemed to be one of those 3rd-Way types. Trying to thread the needle, he wanted to portray Liturgico-Sacramentalism as an open (and undecidable?) question. Sort of an "agnosto-sacramentalistic" view, I s'pose.




"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 12535
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by tuttle » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:45 am

wosbald wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:21 am
+JMJ+
tuttle wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:38 am
Do you really want help? :wink:

I'm a HUGE devourer/admirer/disciple of Chesterton and am comfortable not converting to Catholicism. So was C.S. Lewis, come to think of it.
Yes, but TTBOMK, Lewis was not full-on Protestant. He seemed to be one of those 3rd-Way types. Trying to thread the needle, he wanted to portray Liturgico-Sacramentalism as an open (and undecidable?) question. Sort of an "agnosto-sacramentalistic" view, I s'pose.
Not full on Protestant!? I think he actually was an epitome of what Protestantism can/ought to be.
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10575
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by A_Morley » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:01 am

It's still possible to be Catholic and remain Anglican, I've been doing it for years now. Chesterton might not have agreed, but there you are. The important thing is that you're not Baptist anymore. Ugh.

If you need to wash the mawkish taste of Chesterton out of your mouth and read someone with some legitimate literary merits who can make you feel good about remaining Anglican, might I suggest T. S. Eliot.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Posts: 4663
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL
Contact:

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by Joshoowah » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:17 am

A_Morley wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:01 am
It's still possible to be Catholic and remain Anglican, I've been doing it for years now. Chesterton might not have agreed, but there you are. The important thing is that you're not Baptist anymore. Ugh.

If you need to wash the mawkish taste of Chesterton out of your mouth and read someone with some legitimate literary merits who can make you feel good about remaining Anglican, might I suggest T. S. Eliot.
I second the recommendation.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 17117
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:48 am

What's the over-under on thread lock for this one?

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36699
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by Del » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:05 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:10 pm
I can see a lot of appealing things in the Catholic Church, but the theology is a deal-breaker for me. I'll stay where I'm at, thanks.
Our theology is really quite simple: "Believe as the Apostles did." Add nothing, and take nothing away.

Anything else is man-made tradition, being preached as God's Law.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration
Posts: 24182
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Slightly East of Pepik
Contact:

Re: Help! I think I'm becoming Catholic

Post by Skip » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:05 pm
Sir Moose wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:10 pm
I can see a lot of appealing things in the Catholic Church, but the theology is a deal-breaker for me. I'll stay where I'm at, thanks.
Our theology is really quite simple: "Believe as the Apostles did." Add nothing, and take nothing away.

Anything else is man-made tradition, being preached as God's Law.
And you're the only one who can authoritively state what the Apostles believed. How convenient.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Post Reply