Re: Salvation?

Post by gaining_age » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:15 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:47 pm
Fainn wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:52 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:33 am
Go to church. Drop the Messianic Jew thing - it's done nothing but confuse - and join the Christian church. Then go to church.
I've been going to a regular church the past few weeks. It's confused me even more. Everything happens according to G-d's will which to me, seems arbitrary and capricious.
Questioning. Searching. Seeking. Those are not bad things. They're good things in fact. It's why He gave you a brain and a will. If you're looking in the right places and asking the right people, you'll find what you're looking for. This dry time - "life in the middle" as I call it - is normal. The 'mountain top' experience is like when you first fell head over heals for your wife. You can't remain at that pace forever. The typical arc starts with your heart - you're passionate for Jesus! Then your head takes over and you study yourself silly trying to learn about Jesus. The best part though is when your gut takes over. Not feelings, because our feelings change as often as our socks, but you know God in your gut. There's a surety at that point. You know Him and He knows you. That's when you can get down to the serious business of doing His will here on earth. Not because your works save you, or even because He needs you. Because you can do nothing else.

The reason I think it's so important for you to get in a healthy local church is not so you get gold stars for attendance. Or so you can get worked up for a mission trip. Or even to learn chapter and verse. It's so that you can meet other men there - men who were where you are now. You'll know them precisely because they don't get whipped in to a frenzy or quote chapter and verse. You'll find some. They've been there and done that and are now doing the hard parts of really building the Kingdom. If you're lucky, you can learn from them. They like to share.

Fainn, I'm pulling for you like you can't believe.
A Bible study can be a good place to ask questions and meet some of the men FredS mentioned. A study will tend to be a smaller number and you can see some folks really take the time to wrestle and discuss. When you find the ones giving some life experience into their points and confess things aren't always just figured out with rote answers-- go up and shake a hand and ask if you can hear more of their story.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning