Re: NO Reformation at 500

Post by Gabriel » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Del wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:44 am
Jester wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:03 am
Del wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:58 am
The full Gospel is not found in Scripture alone.
This truly is our greatest disagreement.
Yes, I'm afraid it is.
Fixed it for you. ;)
Sola Deo Gloria

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Del wrote:
Jester wrote:
Del wrote:
Scripture Alone is a man-made doctrine. We know the man who invented it.

Apostolic Christians appreciate that Scripture is more true, more strong, and more alive when it lives within the context of the Church to which it was given.

For example: Within the Apostolic Church, living the Scripture means that the living Christ appears before us on His Altar, every day. He still humbles Himself, coming to meet us.

I say this with great love, mixed with regret:
When Christians try to build a Church "on Scripture alone," the foundation is too small. We end up with thousands upon thousands of little churches, instead of one great Kingdom of God.

Father Luther could just have easily developed of doctrine of "Sacraments Alone," discounting the value of both Scripture & Tradition, and based a revolt upon that. It doesn't matter which part of the Church was raised up and used to beat the rest; a scattering of sheep is always the result. That is what the Enemy desires.
Fragmentation of the Roman Catholic Church is not the fragmentation of the Church.
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:36 pm

Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Jester

Post by Jester » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Del wrote:
Jester wrote:
Del wrote:

Apostolic Christians appreciate that Scripture is more true, more strong, and more alive when it lives within the context of the Church to which it was given.

For example: Within the Apostolic Church, living the Scripture means that the living Christ appears before us on His Altar, every day. He still humbles Himself, coming to meet us.

When Christians try to build a Church "on Scripture alone," the foundation is too small. We end up with thousands upon thousands of little churches, instead of one great Kingdom of God.

Father Luther could just have easily developed of doctrine of "Sacraments Alone," discounting the value of both Scripture & Tradition, and based a revolt upon that. It doesn't matter which part of the Church was raised up and used to beat the rest; a scattering of sheep is always the result. That is what the Enemy desires.
When Christ was being tempted in the wilderness, he didn't turn to his divine power or tradition but to the Scriptures alone to rebuke the devil. Scripture was sufficient for Christ. On the road to Emmaus Christ revealed himself, not through his divine power or tradition but on Scripture alone. Scripture is sufficient for us. 88% of New Testament chapters reference the Old Testament. Scripture was sufficient for the Apostles evangelism.

The way to the Father is through Christ Jesus. It is not through the RCC. I agree the RCC is great in size, power and structure but it is not the one great Kingdom of God.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:00 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:42 am
Jocose wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:36 pm
In the many different Orthodox churches that I attend in different cities, it's interesting to see that the Church is mostly ex-Evangelicals and ex-Roman Catholics filling the pews, so to speak, most Orthodox stand for Divine Liturgy and some churches don't even have chairs. There are also cradle Orthodox too, obviously.
Fascinating. I wonder... how many (formerly) unchurched folks? Or is it the CPS pattern of just sniping people who already believe? Lord knows that is easier than proclaiming the Good News and ministering to those who don't believe.
I know of a few formally "unchurched" people at one place. One is now a friend of mine, she came from a Christian Science background and was a tarot card reader. She has an amazing testimony. There are many "Journey to Orthodoxy" testimonies from all backgrounds and all are interesting to me. It never ceases to amaze how God can reach people.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Jester wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:39 pm
Del wrote:
Jester wrote:
Del wrote:

When Christ was being tempted in the wilderness, he didn't turn to his divine power or tradition but to the Scriptures alone to rebuke the devil. Scripture was sufficient for Christ. On the road to Emmaus Christ revealed himself, not through his divine power or tradition but on Scripture alone. Scripture is sufficient for us. 88% of New Testament chapters reference the Old Testament. Scripture was sufficient for the Apostles evangelism.

The way to the Father is through Christ Jesus. It is not through the RCC. I agree the RCC is great in size, power and structure but it is not the one great Kingdom of God.
What?!!?

Jesus did not quote Scriptures. Jesus quoted the Hebrew Tradition, the Law of Moses.

And Jesus did not reveal Himself through the Scriptures on the way to Emmaus. That was the point of it -- Jesus does not want us to look for Him in the flesh, walking with us. Nor does he want us to see Him in the Scriptures alone. He wants us to see Him in the breaking of the bread.

And now we got lots of factions. It is true that we all who are baptized are joined is a certain way by the name of Christian.... but not as one. We are barely joined, & marred by factions. It is a great scandal to the world, and impairs our evangelization.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Regardless of your "church affiliation" rest assured that God can meet you where you are.

Also, be careful when judging Christ's Church. It's actually best not to judge. This goes for all of us posting here.

God, Salvation and Jesus are bigger than a "theology" "reformation" or even a "church"

You can't put God in a box and exclude others from knowing him how you may know him in the way that He has lead you to Himself.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Jester wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:39 pm
Del wrote:
Jester wrote:
Del wrote:

Scripture is [one part of] Tradition. The Catholic Church is [one part of] Jesus Christ.

Scripture is critical, but without proper understanding of God's Divine Revelation, it can be abused and can even be made antichristian. I can assure you many who base their denial of such integral doctrines as the Trinity on Scripture are as assured of their correctness as those who believes rightly.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:38 am

YES Reformation at 500

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis