Diversity in the church

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Diversity in the church

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:17 am

While Tatanka's lament was still on my mind, I came across this passage tonight and though it worth sharing:
Diversity in the church has been an ever-present reality, yet often a good one since diversity brings together a multiplicity of gifts and graces. Christ’s one body has many parts (1 Cor 12:12, 18, 20). Diversity, even theological diversity, can mean riches for the body of Christ since we are forced to expand our horizons beyond our own faith and practices. Other traditions can help us overcome the blind spots in our own tradition. Catholics remind us of the ancient roots of the church. Baptists remind us that Christians are Bible people and the church is for believers. Methodists remind us about the importance of piety and personal holiness. Presbyterians remind us about God’s sovereignty and God’s covenant promises. Pentecostals remind us that God’s Spirit is still with us and not on sabbatical. Anglicans remind us to hold together the catholicity of our ancient faith with the protest of our Protestantism. Lutherans remind us to remain true to justification by faith. Even among these diverse fellowships, the fact that they can all recite the Apostles’ Creed is proof that there is still one church professing a common faith in one God, through one Lord, in the power of one Spirit. While the church’s oneness is invisible and created by the Holy Spirit, even so we are called to translate our invisible unity into visible expressions. Thus the challenge for the churches is, as Paul told the assemblies in Rome, to “make every effort to do what leads to peace and mutual edification” (Rom 14:19).

Michael F. Bird in What Christians Ought to Believe: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine Through the Apostles' Creed
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: Diversity in the church

Post by Jocose » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:10 am

Thanks for posting.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:38 am

Yes, thanks for this.

It's still factions, but this attitude is a seemingly necessary step toward unity. Like the way that Greek and Latin Christians desire an end to the schism. We have to start with knowing that we all belong together.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:09 am

CPS IS NOT A CHURCH.

We'll find nothing but pain and disappointment if we come here expecting what we should be getting from our local church. I'm not trying to excuse 'unchristian' behavior or pee on Sir Moose's post - 'cause it's a good one - but it's important that we remember what's what. For sure, we're (mostly) a community of Christians, but we're widely dispersed and diverse so there's no way we're ever going to be a valid substitute for the teaching, preaching, and sacraments we should be getting locally. In fact, I'd say it's unfair to the good men and women here to expect such.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:40 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:09 am
CPS IS NOT A CHURCH.

We'll find nothing but pain and disappointment if we come here expecting what we should be getting from our local church. I'm not trying to excuse 'unchristian' behavior or pee on Sir Moose's post - 'cause it's a good one - but it's important that we remember what's what. For sure, we're (mostly) a community of Christians, but we're widely dispersed and diverse so there's no way we're ever going to be a valid substitute for the teaching, preaching, and sacraments we should be getting locally. In fact, I'd say it's unfair to the good men and women here to expect such.
What Fred said.

There are people no longer here because "we" refused to create a statement of faith for the site. We tried. We couldn't get past the Apostle's Creed before we knew things were going to go ballistic.

The key point often missing here is RESPECT. You'd THINK that Christians would have more than their fair share of it, but that hasn't been my experience. We're just as screwed up as the rest of the world, and often even more so, because we seem to think we're more enlightened than them. ("There, but for the grace of God, ...")
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:16 am

+JMJ=
FredS wrote:
CPS IS NOT A CHURCH.

We'll find nothing but pain and disappointment if we come here expecting what we should be getting from our local church.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Skip

Post by Skip » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:27 am

wosbald wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:16 am
+JMJ=
FredS wrote:
CPS IS NOT A CHURCH.

We'll find nothing but pain and disappointment if we come here expecting what we should be getting from our local church.
Do we have a "Best Use of a Star Wars Meme" category for the Morleys?
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Skip wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:27 am
wosbald wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:16 am
+JMJ=
FredS wrote:
CPS IS NOT A CHURCH.

Do we have a "Best Use of a Star Wars Meme" category for the Morleys?
We sure as hell do now. Many posts make me smile or audibly chuckle, that one made me hoot. I'm not ordinarily a hooting kind of guy.

That said, I do feel for Tatanka. Most of what happens here is horseplay, freely entered into by the parties, but some is not. Distinguishing between the two can be extraordinarily difficult.

T'isnt Yom Kippur and I don't celebrate it anyway, but I'll issue a blanket apology to those whom I may have offended unintentionally. Take it up with me via pm. I'm in a loving enough mood today.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.