Advent

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Jared
I await final judgement [sic]
I await final judgement [sic]

Advent

Post by Jared » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:14 pm

So how do those calendars work in relation to the scripture. The wife ordered one and I think It's time to share the story but, don't know anything about the relationship between the calendar and the Christmas story.
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. George Washinton Carver

In Vino Vertias, in Cervesio Felicitas

2014, 2015, 2016 &, 2017 Winner Most Likely Not To Win An Award

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: Advent

Post by wosbald » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:38 pm

+JMJ+

This is right in Del's wheelhouse.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:44 pm

Thank you, Jared.

You just won. Trust me.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:57 am

wosbald wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:38 pm
+JMJ+

Actually... It's not. I've never seen one of those calendars in use. But I am all for any customs and traditions that help families to grow closer to God, so yeah... I guess it is.

Wikipedia says that the Advent Calendars were invented by German Lutherans in the later 1800's. That is about the time when the celebration of Christmas began its return to Protestant cultures.

The whole season of Advent is based on the biblical idea of waiting and preparing for the coming of the Messiah. Lots of readings from Isaiah and reflections on John the Baptist.

Scripture doesn't tell you to buy an Advent Calendar. (Of course, Scripture doesn't tell you put lights on your Christmas tree. Martin Luther invented that custom.) But the calendars have helped many families train their focus on the coming of the Messiah. He's coming again, you know... Advent helps us remember this too.

The Advent calendar is a great way keep the family focused and build anticipation. I'm sure that there are products available from Evangelical publishers that would have a Scriptural focus suitable for your family.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:14 pm

Del wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:57 am
wosbald wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:38 pm
+JMJ+

Actually... It's not. I've never seen one of those calendars in use. But I am all for any customs and traditions that help families to grow closer to God, so yeah... I guess it is.

Wikipedia says that the Advent Calendars were invented by German Lutherans in the later 1800's. That is about the time when the celebration of Christmas began its return to Protestant cultures.

The whole season of Advent is based on the biblical idea of waiting and preparing for the coming of the Messiah. Lots of readings from Isaiah and reflections on John the Baptist.

Scripture doesn't tell you to buy an Advent Calendar. (Of course, Scripture doesn't tell you put lights on your Christmas tree. Martin Luther invented that custom.) But the calendars have helped many families train their focus on the coming of the Messiah. He's coming again, you know... Advent helps us remember this too.

The Advent calendar is a great way keep the family focused and build anticipation. I'm sure that there are products available from Evangelical publishers that would have a Scriptural focus suitable for your family.
+1

If you have youngin's (forgive me, I fail to remember pretty much anyone's personal life on these boards), there's a fantastic book called "The Jesus Storybook Bible" (which isn't really a bible, just a retelling of stories from the bible and how they point to Jesus) and the cool thing about it is that, whether the author intended it or not, you can begin from the first story on Dec. 1 and read until Christmas and all the stories work out perfectly. Now, Advent doesn't start Dec 1 this year, but it's still a great way to look forward to the coming Messiah every single day for 25 days in December. Now, it is geared towards kids, but to be honest, it's good for adults as well. It's written in a way that a child can relate to, without sacrificing anything, all the while showing how this or that story points to Jesus. It's marvelously done.

We've done that for about 5 years now. We're going to change things up a little this year though. I love our church dearly, but unlike our previous church, they don't formally celebrate Advent when we gather. I mean, they recognize it. They just don't do anything about it. And it's been a real let down for me. So we've had to shift certain celebrations we used to do with the gathered body, to just our family now. One of those things is lighting the advent wreath. I've picked up a book to help guide us through it, giving us a bit of structure, and we'll be trying out a new family devotional specifically designed for Advent called Prepare Him Room (written by Marty Machowski, who has written a fantastic family worship book that we love called Long Story Short)
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:26 pm

This is great Jared. It's nice to see Protestants reacquainting themselves with the church calendar. If this goes well, consider observing the season of Lent next spring.

I'll second Tuttle's comments. Even if you're not using an Advent wreath with different candles, try to set a quite mood each evening (a little after dinner is good) and do something to make it different than any other times around the house. Turn off the TV, dim the lights, let the kids each light a candle, have a special snack (we had Pepperidge Farms Pirouettes and sparkling cider when my kids were young), and read the story. Yer kids will get antsy so keep it short. Five minutes max. Be forewarned that if you don't currently pray and read the Bible as a family, this is going to seem weird. You might even be uncomfortable. But do it. Read the stories in advance if it helps you. I gotta tell you, doing it every day is going to be a bit much. My family settled on just Sunday evenings.

Every year, my church packages supplies for Advent wreaths and our pastors outline the readings in a small booklet. We shared them with Zed's family a couple years. I think they enjoyed it but I have no idea if they've kept at it. My kids grew to enjoy the tradition and the now the oldest celebrates Advent with her own kiddos. Their family enjoys singing a carol each evening while dad plays guitar. If you guys like to sing, that's a good tradition to incorporate.

Good luck. Please let us know how it goes.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe