Moderator: tuttle

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Re: Word Study of “flesh” in the New Testament

Post by Del » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:55 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:27 pm
So, I’m in Matthew 19, the joining of flesh in marriage, thinking on the parallels of that U***n, to the origin of man and the creating of Eve from the flesh of Adam, and also the resurrected flesh and the connection between Christ and his body/bride. The image of two becoming one flesh is powerful in the Word. I love that marriage is a reminder of the bigger picture of God’s plan for his relationship with his people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The one-flesh U***n is what makes the marriage of a man and a woman unique and inviolable.

Authentic marriage participates with God in the creation of new, unique, immortal beings.... and prepares the new lives to thrive in this life and enjoy happiness in the next.

St. Paul is acute aware of this as he describes Christ as the bridegroom and the Church as His Bride. No doubt, Jesus anticipated this in His parables about bridegrooms.

==========================================================================
Just a point to mention: "Word " -- with a capital W -- in elder Christian Tradition means the Logos, the Second Person of the Trinity. The cap signifies that this is a Name of God.

We see this in scripture at the beginning of the Gospel of John:
The Word Became Flesh
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
I am not sure when the Protestant tradition began to refer to sacred scripture as "The Word." Nothing wrong with this tradition... just be aware of it. When John says, "The Word became Flesh, and dwelt among us," the scripture is not talking about scripture.

(I only mention this because it always gives me a little startle whenever someone mentions "the Word" and he doesn't mean the Christ.)
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:07 pm

1. I just book marked my first theology thread.

2. Abide and cleave is interesting. I’ll need to process.

3. I am pleased as a Punch Punch Cuban Torpedo that Del is all into this.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:48 am

gaining_age wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:31 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
So, I’m in Matthew 19, the joining of flesh in marriage, thinking on the parallels of that U***n, to the origin of man and the creating of Eve from the flesh of Adam, and also the resurrected flesh and the connection between Christ and his body/bride. The image of two becoming one flesh is powerful in the Word. I love that marriage is a reminder of the bigger picture of God’s plan for his relationship with his people.

“Cleave.”

That is all.
"Abide" -- that's another :)
The Dude abides...

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:56 am

So it was my turn to preach Sunday for our monthly house church, my sermons are much shorter than pastor’s on main campus since we share a meal after service, but anyway it tied in nicely with what I’ve been meditating on. It was about the fact that we are born hungry, and there was no shame in it, that it was good, however as with all things our hungers become twisted when we hunger after the things of this world. When we are born gain, our hunger is redeemed and we hunger for Spiritual food, that food is necessary for our sustenance, so until the day we are ultimately satisfied, we must continue to feed ourselves of the spirit. There was more to it than that, but that’s the gist.

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Word Study of “flesh” in the New Testament

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:03 am

Del wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

The one-flesh U***n is what makes the marriage of a man and a woman unique and inviolable.

Authentic marriage participates with God in the creation of new, unique, immortal beings.... and prepares the new lives to thrive in this life and enjoy happiness in the next.

St. Paul is acute aware of this as he describes Christ as the bridegroom and the Church as His Bride. No doubt, Jesus anticipated this in His parables about bridegrooms.

Just a point to mention: "Word " -- with a capital W -- in elder Christian Tradition means the Logos, the Second Person of the Trinity. The cap signifies that this is a Name of God.

The Word Became Flesh
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
I am not sure when the Protestant tradition began to refer to sacred scripture as "The Word." Nothing wrong with this tradition... just be aware of it. When John says, "The Word became Flesh, and dwelt among us," the scripture is not talking about scripture.

(I only mention this because it always gives me a little startle whenever someone mentions "the Word" and he doesn't mean the Christ.)
I am aware of that actually Del, however my theology dictates that the scripture(the story of the plan of God) the Word as in prologue of the Gospel of John Word, and Christ the living manifestation of the Word and culmination of the story, are all one thing that has been alive as the second part of the trinity since before the foundation of the Earth. St. Augustine preaches on this concept, I got it from him as well as one of my theology professors from college who helped me to sort it out as I wrote a 30 page paper about the prologue at the culmination of a course on the Gospel of John.

I will have to look for this Augustine sermon now...

I found it, it’s the Word, spoken by God at the beginning of existence of all things, that Word spoken included the complete plan of God, the scriptures are just an inspired, related by man version of that Word which was also Christ, for He is the Son of God, come to die as orchestrated from the very beginning by the Word.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:33 am

Good stuff, Johnny M.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Del

Post by Del » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:12 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:03 am
Del wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

The Word Became Flesh

I am aware of that actually Del, however my theology dictates that the scripture(the story of the plan of God) the Word as in prologue of the Gospel of John Word, and Christ the living manifestation of the Word and culmination of the story, are all one thing that has been alive as the second part of the trinity since before the foundation of the Earth. St. Augustine preaches on this concept, I got it from him as well as one of my theology professors from college who helped me to sort it out as I wrote a 30 page paper about the prologue at the culmination of a course on the Gospel of John.

I found it, it’s the Word, spoken by God at the beginning of existence of all things, that Word spoken included the complete plan of God, the scriptures are just an inspired, related by man version of that Word which was also Christ, for He is the Son of God, come to die as orchestrated from the very beginning by the Word.
30 pages! Oy!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:12 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:03 am
Del wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

The Word Became Flesh

30 pages! Oy!
Hey. I talked him down to that from one of Chrystostom’s preachin’ tomes. So, quityerbitchin.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:03 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:33 am
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:43 am
DepartedLight wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:16 pm
I don’t venture over to this side of CPS often, perhaps I should, but anyway, thought I would share where my biblical meditations are currently taking me. I have decided to delve into a word study of “flesh” in the NT, in part because I wish to better understand my enemy and in part because it was simply recommended to me by a friend who had recently done so. He said it, and it sounded like a good idea, so Perhaps I will report back with the highlights of what comes out of it.

I have begun by mapping out every chapter in which the word was used.

See how your margin slopes to the left as the lines increase?

That's an indicator of text written over time.

See all the scribbles?

That's an indicator of text written incorrectly over time.

Notice the books are all written out, no short hand or abbreviations.

That's an indicator of long written out text over time.

Here endith the lesson.
Look at the dots on the pad, there is no slope, the picture was taken at an angle... also this is the theology forum not the fountain pen thread, so I’d like you to relate that to theology please :)

Boosh!

That was almost as good as an old fashioned Pope slap.
Bah - a real Pope-slap-style response wouldn't have missed the fact that if you follow the line of dots down the left side, it is clear that the column is shifting to the left, regardless of the angle of the photo.

If you want a theological take on it, look up Ecclesiastes 10:2.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.