Mary Alone

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Mary Alone

Post by Del » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:44 pm

During those three days as Christ lay dead in the tomb, there was only one who still believed. Only one who fully understood that His death was a necessary and willing sacrifice, so that we could all participate in His resurrection.

For these three days, the entire Church of Jesus Christ subsisted in just one person: His Mother, the Blessed Virgin Mary.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Re: Mary Alone

Post by JMG » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:55 pm

And yet God is still the One worthy of praise. But good on Mary...I mean that in earnest.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:19 pm

Soli Deo gloria!

And good on Mary. (Though identifying her as the only believer in the whole world seems a bit of a stretch.)
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:11 pm

Though the others had seen Christ perform plenty of miracles and fill many prophesies, it's safe to say that Mary had more up close and personal miracles (a visit from angels and virgin conception) so her faith was 'easier'. "Easy' isn't exactly the right word here, but it safe to say that anyone who ever conceived without the formalities would have a life-long certainty in that child so let's don't bestow some sort of supernatural faith on Mary. She knew, better than anyone before the resurrection, of Christs divinity. The rest of the world had to wait 30-some years before we saw Him conquer death.
Last edited by FredS on Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:11 pm

Off Topic
+JMJ+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0vcUDTcEAc

The Angel cried unto her that is full of grace:
O pure Virgin, rejoice, and again I say, rejoice;
for thy Son hath arisen from the grave on the third day.
Shine, shine, O new Jerusalem,
for the glory of the Lord hath arisen upon thee;
dance now and be glad, O Sion,
and do thou exalt, O pure Theotokos,
in the arising of Him Whom thou didst bear.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:20 pm

Well, that's done it.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del

Post by Del » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:40 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:11 pm
Though the others had seen Christ perform plenty of miracles and fill many prophesies, it's safe to say that Mary had more up close and personal miracles (a visit from angels and virgin conception) so her faith was 'easier'. "Easy' isn't exactly the right word here, but it safe to say that anyone who ever conceived without the formalities would have a life-long certainty in that child so let's don't bestow some sort of supernatural faith on Mary. She knew, better than anyone before the resurrection, of Christs divinity. The rest of the world had to wait 30-some years before we saw Him conquer death.
There are the practical effects of living with Jesus for 33 years, and having experienced the miracles of His conception and birth.

But there is a supernatural grace at work, as well. Scripture tells us that the Holy Spirit revealed Himself in her when she consented to receive Christ for the world.

The Apostles had to wait until Pentecost before they could comprehend the Resurrection, after they were enlightened by the Holy Spirit. They were finally able to understand what Mary knew, all along.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:50 pm

Speaking of Mary - I don't recall anywhere in scripture when she boasted of her son. I'm sure she beamed with pride at the wedding in Cana, but we're not told so. Is there anything in Catholic tradition that has Mary saying "Yep. That's my boy."? When one of my kids shines I tell the whole world! I tweet and text and instagram the hell out of their accomplishments. The S family Christmas letter is all about the great things our kids do every year. (OK, I don't really do that, but I know it's a popular thing to do.)

IMO, Mary's a saint simply because she wasn't boastful in being the mother of Christ. 'Cause, you know, turning water in to wine is a little more spectacular than being named the most improved soccer player in fifth grade.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:50 pm

Yay! Mary thread!
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:18 pm

coco wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:50 pm
Yay! Mary thread!
Pipe.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:17 am

JimVH wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:18 pm
coco wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:50 pm
Yay! Mary thread!
Pipe.
There it is.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Del

Post by Del » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:10 am

HE IS RISEN!

Rejoice and be glad, O Virgin Mother!
For Jesus Christ, Whom you were worthy to bear,
Has risen as He said He would!

Rejoice and be glad, O Virgin Mary,
For the Lord has truly risen!

Pipeweed
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Pipeweed » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:49 pm

Mary certainly was an impressive woman and truly blessed by God. But she wasn't the ONLY one who believed. True, some of the disciples scattered in a moment of weakness, but I'm not aware of any church tradition that teaches they were no longer part of Christ's church, even if just temporary, because of this. Man, if we got kicked out for every moment of weakness we'd all be in trouble. :)

But there were others, like Mary, who didn't run and hide. For example, Mary Magdalene, Salome, and others witnessed the crucifixion. Matthew and Mark's Gospels say "many women" were there, and the Gospel of John tells us the "Beloved Disciple" was there too (probably John).

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:49 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:11 pm
Nicely said.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:13 pm

+JMJ+

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:20 am

We must not discount how difficult it would have been for Mary, culturally speaking, to have a child in her womb out of wedlock. You better believe people around Mary and Joseph were talking because the numbers did not seem to add up. Mary's life would have been quite difficult, much more so after Joseph passed. Mary had great faith, and I'll be the first here on this forum, as a Protestant, to say that we (I mean, Protestants) do not acknowledge Mary enough, but let us not forget that she was with Jesus' "brothers" when they approached him thinking he was acting a bit crazy in the gospels.

In any case, Mary had a direct revelation from God, which would have helped her along in times of doubt, for sure; the disciples, too, had a direct revelation from God in the person of Jesus among them. I point this out to say that even with a direct revelation from God there can be doubt and questioning. It is what makes the action of "faith" so unique as well as difficult.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:38 am

Del wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:44 pm
During those three days as Christ lay dead in the tomb, there was only one who still believed. Only one who fully understood that His death was a necessary and willing sacrifice, so that we could all participate in His resurrection.

For these three days, the entire Church of Jesus Christ subsisted in just one person: His Mother, the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Are you saying that Mary's full understanding of his necessary death, willing sacrifice, and forthcoming resurrection is what qualified her to be "the entire Church of Jesus Christ" during that time?
Del wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:40 pm
There are the practical effects of living with Jesus for 33 years, and having experienced the miracles of His conception and birth.

But there is a supernatural grace at work, as well. Scripture tells us that the Holy Spirit revealed Himself in her when she consented to receive Christ for the world.

The Apostles had to wait until Pentecost before they could comprehend the Resurrection, after they were enlightened by the Holy Spirit. They were finally able to understand what Mary knew, all along.
Did the entire Church of Jesus Christ subsist in Mary for those three days, or until Pentecost?
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:31 am

wosbald wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:13 pm
+JMJ+

As I wrote, 'Easy' was not the correct and accurate term. But let's not confuse Mary's faith (which was 'easier' because she'd had direct revelation) and Mary's path in life. Of course seeing her Son pierced and dying a slow death was not easy. But following Christ is never easy. Even His best friends ran and hid when things went wrong. Anyone who's studied the saints and martyrs knows it's not easy. Anyone who's followed Christ in their own life for more than a week or two knows that. At the same time, anyone who's had a powerful 'conversion' or encounter, finds that ones faith is not so easily shaken afterwards. The more He reveals Himself to us the 'easier' faith becomes. And Mary had King sized (get it?) revelations.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:20 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:20 am
In any case, Mary had a direct revelation from God, which would have helped her along in times of doubt, for sure; the disciples, too, had a direct revelation from God in the person of Jesus among them. I point this out to say that even with a direct revelation from God there can be doubt and questioning. It is what makes the action of "faith" so unique as well as difficult.
This is a good word, brother.
Last edited by TNLawPiper on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:14 pm

Mary had an amazing grasp that she needed Christ. Not as a son but a personal relationship with the creator of the universe who could free her from sin and the wrath of God.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS