Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Re: Mary Alone

Post by Skip » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:51 am

tuttle wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:38 am
--------------------
**and as to the topic of Calvinism and Mary and pissing matches, if the Admins/Mods are going to squawk and threaten to shut things down at the mere possibility that it could get brought up, then for the love of FredS what do we have a theology forum for? I've frankly been in many enjoyable conversations that the Powers have deemed a pissing match in the past where no one was doing any pissing save the mods who were pissing on an otherwise engaging conversation, complaining about how horrible the thread is going to probably be before anyone has even broken the sacred ToS.
Tuttle. Bro. You really need to review your sensitivity settings. A mod steps in with a snide comment or three when he sees a thread begin to go down a path that other now-locked threads have gone before and you start whining about the violence inherent in the system. There's no violence. You're not being repressed. Someone - a couple of us, in fact, one of whom wasn't a mod - recognized a pattern from the past and posted something snarky as a reminder. No explicit warnings. No pirate flags. Just snark. You could've accepted it - like Del (for once) - for what it was: an indication from the "Admins/Mods" that people were keeping an eye on what was going on. Just be aware of what you're saying and the fact that the discussion is visible to the Entire Freaking World. And take note that "- and I'm only saying this because I care - there are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing."
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:17 am

John-Boy wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:28 am
Skip wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:24 pm
Jester wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:20 pm
Skip wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:18 pm
Crud. If this thread becomes a pissing contest on Mary and Calvinism, it's going first on the list for the Council of Hats' consideration tonight.
What was said about Calvinism?
Nothing directly.

Yet...
You missed the thread title? Classic Del! Del FTW!
THANK YOU!

Thanking you for catching that.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Del

Post by Del » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:20 am

Skip wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:51 am
.... Just snark. You could've accepted it - like Del ....(for once)
I always appreciated a good snark!

And I have been practicing exercises to help me "unclench." Best advice I ever got (after the suggestion that I slow down and not puff so hard).

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:24 am

Skip wrote:
tuttle wrote:
--------------------
**and as to the topic of Calvinism and Mary and pissing matches, if the Admins/Mods are going to squawk and threaten to shut things down at the mere possibility that it could get brought up, then for the love of FredS what do we have a theology forum for? I've frankly been in many enjoyable conversations that the Powers have deemed a pissing match in the past where no one was doing any pissing save the mods who were pissing on an otherwise engaging conversation, complaining about how horrible the thread is going to probably be before anyone has even broken the sacred ToS.
Tuttle. Bro. You really need to review your sensitivity settings. A mod steps in with a snide comment or three when he sees a thread begin to go down a path that other now-locked threads have gone before and you start whining about the violence inherent in the system. There's no violence. You're not being repressed. Someone - a couple of us, in fact, one of whom wasn't a mod - recognized a pattern from the past and posted something snarky as a reminder. No explicit warnings. No pirate flags. Just snark. You could've accepted it - like Del (for once) - for what it was: an indication from the "Admins/Mods" that people were keeping an eye on what was going on. Just be aware of what you're saying and the fact that the discussion is visible to the Entire Freaking World. And take note that "- and I'm only saying this because I care - there are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing."
I never claimed I was being repressed. Not sure where the violence comment comes in either.

I might be a bit more sensitive now to snide complaints from moderators. But I'd argue for good reason. It used to be funny and it used to serve a good purpose I suppose. But after the politics ban I don't find the snide comments helpful in the least. Especially when responses to real questions in both public and private were then/are now met with the same kind of snark. Post-21August2017 CPS is a whole new world. But if the snide comments/complaints before anything has happened are truly just reminders, then why not shoot a PM warning to whomever it is tiptoeing on the limits of the ToS? That seems a much better approach than to throw the thread out of whack.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:36 am

+JMJ+
tuttle wrote:
wosbald wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:11 am
tuttle wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:30 am

… The angel did not come with a request: "Will you allow the Holy Spirit to come upon you in order that you will conceive in your womb and bear a son?", But he came with a proclamation: "You will conceive in your womb and bear a son."

[…]
To me this sounds like the angel essentially saying, "Look, this is gonna happen one way or the other, so you might as well relax and try to enjoy it."

If so, then "the holy rape of the soul", indeed.
First, I'm not doing anything here, except pointing out the fact of how things went down. Everyone who has access to Luke chapter 1 can confirm this. What I said above--that the word to Mary was not a request, but a proclamation--is the Holy Spirit inspired documented way it happened.

So in reality, your beef about 'holy rape of the soul' isn't with me. It's with Luke and his Inspiration.
Point is that you can (and furthermore, should) maintain that the Angelic Salutation is proclamative/declarative* without having to parlay this into a making of the Annunciation Narrative into a narrative of violence (i.e. a narrative of rape). This should be a common-sense, "first clue" that something is wrong with the superimposed theology. And the fact that (as I alluded earlier to Coco) there is an impulse to divert the convo back to abstract theological ground might indicate a nervousness with respect to how ugly and distorting a picture Monergism/Total Depravity forces to be painted of the Biblical Narrative.

* FTR, the Catholic prayer, the Angelus, begins "The Angel of the Lord declared unto Mary."
Last edited by wosbald on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:37 am

Del wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:17 am
John-Boy wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:28 am
Skip wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:24 pm
Jester wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:20 pm
Skip wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:18 pm
Crud. If this thread becomes a pissing contest on Mary and Calvinism, it's going first on the list for the Council of Hats' consideration tonight.
What was said about Calvinism?
Nothing directly.

Yet...
You missed the thread title? Classic Del! Del FTW!
THANK YOU!

Thanking you for catching that.
I caught it when I was skimming threads a few days ago. Good one.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Skip

Post by Skip » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:40 am

tuttle wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:24 am
Skip wrote:
tuttle wrote:
--------------------
I never claimed I was being repressed. Not sure where the violence comment comes in either.

I might be a bit more sensitive now to snide complaints from moderators. But I'd argue for good reason. It used to be funny and it used to serve a good purpose I suppose. But after the politics ban I don't find the snide comments helpful in the least. Especially when responses to real questions in both public and private were then/are now met with the same kind of snark. Post-21August2017 CPS is a whole new world. But if the snide comments/complaints before anything has happened are truly just reminders, then why not shoot a PM warning to whomever it is tiptoeing on the limits of the ToS? That seems a much better approach than to throw the thread out of whack.
Sigh. The repression and violence comments came from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The decaffeinated brands quotation came from Real Genius. And the informal moderation is intended to be public for participants and observers, especially for those who might decide to join the discussion.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:02 pm

Skip wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:40 am
tuttle wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:24 am
Skip wrote:
tuttle wrote:
--------------------

Sigh. The repression and violence comments came from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The decaffeinated brands quotation came from Real Genius. And the informal moderation is intended to be public for participants and observers, especially for those who might decide to join the discussion.
CPS must be beautiful this time of year. All that snow.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:16 pm

I just consumed a pepperoni roll. Washing it down with a Peroni.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Skip

Post by Skip » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:23 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:16 pm
Pepperoni roll. O. M. G. Best thing to EVER come out of WV. My parents once sent me a couple dozen on my birthday as a joke. They wouldn't believe that I considered it the best birthday present EVAARRRRR!!!

Jester
A terrible Raquel Welch
A terrible Raquel Welch

Post by Jester » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:25 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Whats a pepperoni roll? Sounds amazing. Send one in the box.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

My first thought is that our schools should encourage more teens to develop a relationship with Christ and take up pipe-smoking. -Del

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:29 pm

Jester wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:25 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Praying - coco

Skip

Post by Skip » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:30 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:29 pm
Jester wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
No. NO. NO!!!

Get thee behind me...

Del

Post by Del » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:31 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Pepperperonioni!

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:31 pm

Skip wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:30 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Jester wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
No. NO. NO!!!

Get thee behind me...
Don't stand behind me if I've been eating hot pockets.
Praying - coco

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:34 pm

There is a pizza chain around here that makes these:

Double Dave's Pepperoni Rolls
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

Jester
A terrible Raquel Welch
A terrible Raquel Welch

Post by Jester » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:34 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:31 pm
Skip wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:30 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Jester wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
No. NO. NO!!!

Get thee behind me...
Don't stand behind me if I've been eating hot pockets.
I haven't had a Hot-Pocket in years. Come to think of it I haven't ate "junk" food since I have been married. Strange that this home cooking has given me a dicky-doo and hot pockets and taco bell had me rocking a 6 pack for years.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

My first thought is that our schools should encourage more teens to develop a relationship with Christ and take up pipe-smoking. -Del

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:35 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Elephant turds?
Praying - coco

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:36 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:35 pm
UncleBob wrote:

Elephant turds?
Smaller. Think tapir.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Jester wrote:
Strange that this home cooking has given me a dicky-doo ....
What the what?
Sola Deo Gloria