For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

ryland
More of this
More of this

Heresies

Post by ryland » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Re: Heresies

Post by Del » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:19 pm

That's an ancient and enduring error.

Do a 'net search on "modalism." Several variations will pop up.... Sabellianism, Monarchianism, and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQLfgaUoQCw

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wm4UqOJ3Yc
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:30 pm

Thanks, Del! That first video is what I was looking for. Have seen it before.
Last edited by ryland on Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:05 pm

ryland wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:30 pm
...What I've found attractive about the Roman Catholic church is that you know exactly where it stands
This is true if you are willing to overlook all the variances, both historic and present day.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:10 pm

coco wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:05 pm
ryland wrote:
...What I've found attractive about the Roman Catholic church is that you know exactly where it stands
This is true if you are willing to overlook all the variances, both historic and present day.
If you were to read an accepted Protestant Systematic Theology (for Reformed theology, Berkhof, for example), Ryland, you would find the same kind of apparent consensus and clarity (with a great deal of underlying complication). Perhaps you already have.

Rather than seeing Christendom as “theologically unified” until the Reformation, and only then theologically divided between a unified Catholicism and a multitude of Protestant denominations (a not uncommon misunderstanding among those unfamiliar with church history), it is far more accurate to realize that there were great schisms that resulted in a divided “Orthodoxy” long before the Reformation, a large number of early Reformation and Post Reformation denominations resulting from doctrinal disputes among “Protestants,” and an ongoing history of attempted reconciliation along with simultaneous further schisming that continues to this day.

Of course each tradition believes (and will argue with great certainty and much evidence) that “they” are the true heir of the early church, all others having fallen away in some way from the true church.

I imagine we’ll hear a few of those arguments shortly.

I believe all of this is a consequence of The Fall, and we do far better to focus on the fundamentals we share in the Body of Christ than those that divide us.

My dear deceased friend and favorite church historian (Robert Webber) used to say that the greatest cure for certainty in dogma was the study of church history.

I’m inclined to agree.

But remember this as well: church history, too, is written by the fallen - each from within a tradition. Like everything else we study, it is wise to study not only deeply, but broadly. Biblical schloarship is no less prone to bias and slanting than any other.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Steve S
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Steve S » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:44 pm

ryland wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:15 pm
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
I don't know about the mind-body-aura thing, but otherwise that's essentially the Jewish and the Muslim position on God insofar as I understand them: God is one and only one.

Within Christianity (broadly defined), there are a few sects that deny the Trinity. One with which I'm familiar is the UPC (United Pentecostal Church), which I think teaches what we might call "Jesus-only," such that there is no distinction between Father and Son, or between Son and Spirit, that Jesus is the totality of what God is. I speak under correction here, as I don't have any of their own theological documents at hand.

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:42 pm

Yeah muslim are ultra-monotheists, the word in the quran that gets translated as pagans in English literally means "those who have partners with [God]" i.e. trinitarians. (Thats why any middle eastern christan when we make the sign of the cross at the end add the phrase "one God" due to that).
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:09 pm

coco wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:05 pm
ryland wrote:
I believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.

I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the Only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,

and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
he suffered death and was buried,
and rose again on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead
and his kingdom will have no end.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.

I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.
I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins
and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead
and the life of the world to come.

... amen.

:signofcross: