God Has A Plan For Your Life

For those deep thinkers out there.
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

God Has A Plan For Your Life

Post by Goose55 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:19 pm

I know you've had someone tell you "God has a plan for your life" at least once at some juncture in life. Me? I've never derived much comfort from hearing it. It always made me feel as though I was not already fulfilling the Plan.

You?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

ryland
More of this
More of this

Re: God Has A Plan For Your Life

Post by ryland » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:37 pm

I think God can and does choose people for acts of service and paths in life. However, it seems that the majority of what I think God is concerned about is not a specific path but choosing to be a disciple of Jesus. In essence, I've become less concerned about finding a specific path and more concerned about responding appropriately in a way that's in step with the Spirit.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

peter cornbriar
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor

Post by peter cornbriar » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:38 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:19 pm
I know you've had someone tell you "God has a plan for your life" at least once at some juncture in life. Me? I've never derived much comfort from hearing it. It always made me feel as though I was not already fulfilling the Plan.

You?
We are what we are becoming.
The glory of God is the nature of God - that God is good.He is unfailingly good.He never changes,He will always be good.God has called us to do what we cannot do,only He can do it.He has called us to live in His faithfulness,He has called us to live in His consistency,that He will come and do all the things that need to be done.

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:32 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:35 pm
Goose55 wrote:

You?
<zederated>
Contra-wise, I derived much comfort when I was in harsh trials of life when I focused on God's Providence -- He is in control regardless of the circumstances.

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:59 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

You?
<zederated>
Yeah! That's what I'm talkin' about. Straight from the gut spiritual and emotional honesty.

As for "God's plan for my life," God has a far far bigger plan....

"According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord" ~ Ephesians 3
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

AKPreacher
Usher
Usher

Post by AKPreacher » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:30 pm

I believe whole heartedly that God has a plan and purpose for each and every person. We are all called by God to do good works! Not to just be good but also to do good as outlined in the great commission.

I personally love the statement “God has a plan for your life!”.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:39 pm

I fear this is one more piece of theology, with age and time, I’ve been forced to put in the “glass darkly” category.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

AKPreacher
Usher
Usher

Post by AKPreacher » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:41 pm

durangopipe wrote:I fear this is one more piece of theology, with age and time, I’ve been forced to put in the “glass darkly” category.
Please explain “glass darkly” I may not be as learned as others on here

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:07 pm

AKPreacher wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:41 pm
durangopipe wrote:I fear this is one more piece of theology, with age and time, I’ve been forced to put in the “glass darkly” category.
1 Corinthians 13:12 King James Version (KJV)

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
St. Paul struggles to talk about that which is not fully explained by revelation.
========================================================

We know that God knows and loves each of us. And, as a loving Father, He has a plan for us.

As faithful Christians, we struggle to discern and live according to God's plan. Even when some of us are called to endure persecution or persevere through suffering. The Saints are the ones who remain faithful, and their faithfulness helps God to save the world.
Col 1:24 wrote: Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.
Other times, our suffering is brought about by our own sins. We frustrate God's plan for our happiness. Those consequences of sin are part of God's plan to set us back on His path.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:10 pm

AKPreacher wrote:

I’m sorry, AKP.
It comes from 1 Corinthians 13:12 (KJV - I grew up with it, feel most comfortable with it, and still quote from it.)

“For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.”

The verse comforts me in my not knowing.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

AKPreacher
Usher
Usher

Post by AKPreacher » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:26 pm

durangopipe wrote:
AKPreacher wrote:

I’m sorry, AKP.
It comes from 1 Corinthians 13:12 (KJV - I grew up with it, feel most comfortable with it, and still quote from it.)

“For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.”

The verse comforts me in my not knowing.
I see, I know that scripture well. One of the problems I end up confronting as a Pastor is where people use that verse as an excuse to not study out what they don’t readily understand. Not that I think that is what you are doing.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:56 pm

Maybe the plan is for us all to be Swedish rock stars?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y6smkh6c-0
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:05 pm

I think He did have a plan for me many years ago, but I'm sure I pretty well fouled it up. Maybe that's where Romans 8:28 comes in to play? It seems so, and I like to think so, as I look back.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:06 pm

ImageImage

"For this reason, on June 1, 1951 … we did speak of the right of people to migrate, which right is founded in the very nature of land."
— Pope Pius XII, Exsul Familia Nazarethana

AKPreacher
Usher
Usher

Post by AKPreacher » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:16 pm

sweetandsour wrote:I think He did have a plan for me many years ago, but I'm sure I pretty well fouled it up. Maybe that's where Romans 8:28 comes in to play? It seems so, and I like to think so, as I look back.

I would guess then that you would have to believe that God didn’t know you were gonna mess up. I believe he still has a plan and purpose for you. I like to say “If you’ve got a pulse you’ve got a purpose!”. Think of Paul when he was Saul, what if when he was confronted by God on the road to Damascus he decided “well now I guess I messed up I can’t do something for God now”. Instead he goes on to change the world.

AKPreacher
Usher
Usher

Post by AKPreacher » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:16 pm

Hovannes wrote:Maybe the plan is for us all to be Swedish rock stars?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y6smkh6c-0
Love that song

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:25 am

gaining_age wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:32 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

You?
<zederated>
Contra-wise, I derived much comfort when I was in harsh trials of life when I focused on God's Providence -- He is in control regardless of the circumstances.

G.
What G wrote.

It's easy to forget that God's plan for our lives isn't about us. It's about Him. When we look at the martyrs of history, do we think, 'Wow! Too bad God didn't have a plan for them,' or do we think, 'Wow! It's inspiring that they set aside their desires to follow God's plan.' We marvel at how God's kingdom was advanced by their suffering.

How can we think that God has a plan for mankind, but not the people that make up mankind? How can we trust God for the outcome if He doesn't have a plan for how we're going to get there? How can prophecy ever have been a thing if God can't/won't direct the lives of people to fulfill those prophecies?

Does a suffering Christian mean that God doesn't have a plan? I'm pretty sure that the story of Jesus' life disproves that. Plus there are numerous other scripture passages that tell us that our suffering is part of God's plan. For example:

Romans 8:17b "seeing that we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him." (emphasis added)

2 Corinthians 1:3-7 "Praise the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort. He comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any kind of affliction, through the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For as the sufferings of Christ overflow to us, so through Christ our comfort also overflows . If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation. If we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which is experienced in your endurance of the same sufferings that we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that as you share in the sufferings, so you will share in the comfort." (emphasis added)

Philippians 1:29 "For it has been given to you on Christ’s behalf not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for Him"

Hebrews 12:7-11 "Endure suffering as discipline: God is dealing with you as sons. For what son is there that a father does not discipline? But if you are without discipline—which all receive—then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Furthermore, we had natural fathers discipline us, and we respected them. Shouldn’t we submit even more to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time based on what seemed good to them, but He does it for our benefit, so that we can share His holiness. No discipline seems enjoyable at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it yields the fruit of peace and righteousness to those who have been trained by it." (emphasis added)

1 Peter 2:20-21 "For what credit is there if you sin and are punished, and you endure it? But when you do what is good and suffer, if you endure it, this brings favor with God. For you were called to this, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you should follow in His steps."
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:25 am

I like to remember this:
Proverbs 16:9
The heart of man plans his way,
but the Lord establishes his steps.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:15 am

AKPreacher wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:16 pm
sweetandsour wrote:I think He did have a plan for me many years ago, but I'm sure I pretty well fouled it up. Maybe that's where Romans 8:28 comes in to play? It seems so, and I like to think so, as I look back.

I would guess then that you would have to believe that God didn’t know you were gonna mess up. I believe he still has a plan and purpose for you. I like to say “If you’ve got a pulse you’ve got a purpose!”. Think of Paul when he was Saul, what if when he was confronted by God on the road to Damascus he decided “well now I guess I messed up I can’t do something for God now”. Instead he goes on to change the world.

Thanks for your good words. I tend to be rather cryptic sometimes, just trying to be brief with a post. I really don't know exactly what God intended for me, but without going into detail, many times I've felt like I missed an opportunity for a greater call. It's worked out, otherwise, though, and I trust Him. Anyway, thanks again.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:20 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:05 pm
I think He did have a plan for me many years ago, but I'm sure I pretty well fouled it up. Maybe that's where Romans 8:28 comes in to play? It seems so, and I like to think so, as I look back.
This reminds me of BCF 1689 paragraph 5 of God's Providence.
The most wise, righteous, and gracious God does often times leave for a season His own children to manifold temptations and the corruptions of their own hearts, to chastise them for their former sins, or to discover unto them the hidden strength of corruption and deceitfulness of their hearts, that they may be humbled; and to raise them to a more close and constant dependence for their support upon Himself; and to make them more watchful against all future occasions of sin, and for other just and holy ends. So that whatsoever befalls any of His elect is by His appointment, for His glory, and their good.
In fouled situations where his children's hearts are softened, humbled and drawn closer to Him, others have their hearts hardened.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS