God Has A Plan For Your Life

For those deep thinkers out there.
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Re: God Has A Plan For Your Life

Post by Goose55 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:48 am

Some Christians can be quite cruel and offensive in their twisted theologies. I once had someone tell me "well, with your life in such a state, maybe you're not one of God's elect." :egor:
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Jester
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Jester » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:05 am

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:48 am
Some Christians can be quite cruel and offensive in their twisted theologies. I once had someone tell me "well, with your life in such a state, maybe you're not one of God's elect." :egor:
That would be a strange conversation. I haven't heard of any prosperity teachers who actually hold to the doctrine of election.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:07 am

Either I'm the recipient of many very strange and wonderful random circumstances that have lead me to where I am today (blessed in numerous ways) despite my own efforts to foul it up, or God lights my way. I have had too many opportunities that have "fallen into my lap" to believe it's of my own doing or pure coincidence. I surely don't deserve what God has provided of my own accord.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:09 am

SlowToke wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:07 am
Either I'm the recipient of many very strange and wonderful random circumstances that have lead me to where I am today (blessed in numerous ways) despite my own efforts to foul it up, or God lights my way. I have had too many opportunities that have "fallen into my lap" to believe it's of my own doing or pure coincidence. I surely don't deserve what God has provided of my own accord.
+1, word for word, especially the last sentence.

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:31 am

Yes, He has a purpose for you.
- No, that doesn't mean you get to quit trying and then either blame or credit Him for every bad and good thing in your life. We have a few brothers here who blame God for all that's wrong in their lives, ask for prayer that God will change their circumstances, then sit idly waiting for things to just miraculously change.

- No, that doesn't mean He necessarily cares what socks you wear today, or what you eat for lunch, or what car you drive, or maybe even what job you choose to take.

I think the closer we are with God (via our prayer, meditation, study, and worship) the more clearly we understand His overarching plan for us and all humankind, and the more our hopes and desires line up with His. Then we can stop wondering - as much - whether we're doing His will or not, because we'll know more clearly what His will is and exactly how we are or are not working to that end. The Spirit will guide when the Spirit needs to guide.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:12 pm

I hear the phrase often when attending funerals of people I feel blessed to have known.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Want to have a little fun?

Next time a couple you know miscarries, tell them "It's God's plan" or "I guess God wasn't ready to give you a child". They'll love that, and they'll snap out of their self-centered grieving once you share the good news.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:24 pm

A metaphor or illustration that has helped me is that on this side of Glory we have the back side of a tapestry, with all its crazy dangling threads and mismatched colors of unanswered questions. But on the face of the tapestry is a beautiful and meaningful pattern.

We really haven't begun to live yet.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:21 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:05 pm
I think He did have a plan for me many years ago, but I'm sure I pretty well fouled it up. Maybe that's where Romans 8:28 comes in to play? It seems so, and I like to think so, as I look back.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:55 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:21 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
I think He did have a plan for me many years ago, but I'm sure I pretty well fouled it up. Maybe that's where Romans 8:28 comes in to play? It seems so, and I like to think so, as I look back.
That's great, Moose. Love it. Reminds me of this Scripture:

Philippians 1:6
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:19 pm

The tail does not wag the dog. :pipe:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

artsygeek
Congregation
Congregation

Post by artsygeek » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:55 pm

I don't believe that God has a plan for us as individuals. I see a potter at the wheel who's not paying attention to every fine grain of the clay, but instead the pot.
"Anyone alive has hope; even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!" Ecclesiastes/Qoheleth 9:4

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:25 am

What do you mean by "plan"?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:51 am

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:19 pm
I know you've had someone tell you "God has a plan for your life" at least once at some juncture in life. Me? I've never derived much comfort from hearing it. It always made me feel as though I was not already fulfilling the Plan.

You?
It doesn't give me much comfort anymore either.

I spent my entire adult life trying to find this supposed purpose/plan with absolute failure. I have searched everywhere I know. So, if God has some specific mysterious plan, He is keeping it to Himself. I just stopped looking. Maybe it will be revealed or maybe there isn't one. I don't know. Either way, I can only devote so much of myself into something which seems unattainable. I stopped playing guessing games a long time ago.

What I do know is the world is eating itself and I don't want any part of it. I just want to be in my own little anonymous bubble and, for the most part, left alone. Don't get me wrong, I know right from wrong, good from bad, etc., but I just don't get anything out of the search anymore. I know what I believe, but I don't get anything at all from going to church or spending an absorbent amount of time with other Christians. It all seems a little empty to me these days. Perhaps that will change.

In any event, whatever Gods plan is will happen no matter what we do, so I don't worry about it and let it unfold as He decides. Free will for all of its worth, is extremely limited. Sort of like having an ant farm. They can go about and do whatever they want, but only within that farm. Everything else is out of their control and decided for them. Probably a bad example, but that's how I look at things.

Wow, now that I read what I wrote, it sounds really depressing. Maybe just ignore me and listen to others who seem to have a lighter grasp on the topic.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:53 am

sweetandsour wrote:
That is probably what has happened to most of us. We had a real purpose, but messed it all up.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:58 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:09 am
SlowToke wrote:
The single best thing I have in my life is my wife. I think about that a lot. I don't deserve her. I fail her far too often. She deserves better, but she is mine and I am hers. For some reason God saw fit to put us together and its the best thing to happen to me in an otherwise twisted and meaningless life. I keep this in mind and it keeps me going. Why she loves me, I don't know, but she genuinely does and I am grateful. As bad as things may be, I know they would be a lot worse if not for her.

peter cornbriar
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor

Post by peter cornbriar » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:50 pm

Kerdy wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:58 am
JimVH wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:09 am
SlowToke wrote:
The single best thing I have in my life is my wife. I think about that a lot. I don't deserve her. I fail her far too often. She deserves better, but she is mine and I am hers. For some reason God saw fit to put us together and its the best thing to happen to me in an otherwise twisted and meaningless life. I keep this in mind and it keeps me going. Why she loves me, I don't know, but she genuinely does and I am grateful. As bad as things may be, I know they would be a lot worse if not for her.
That's the damn truth - three cheers for my wife!
The glory of God is the nature of God - that God is good.He is unfailingly good.He never changes,He will always be good.God has called us to do what we cannot do,only He can do it.He has called us to live in His faithfulness,He has called us to live in His consistency,that He will come and do all the things that need to be done.

The chief end of Man is to worship God.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:00 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:25 am
What do you mean by "plan"?
That's the question one must ask of anyone who ever tells you "God has a plan for your life."

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:31 pm

This morning's sermon was from Jeremiah 29:11,
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope ...

And this thread popped into my head. Of course, when God gave this to Jeremiah, the Israelites were sitting in Babylon with fish hooks in their mouths. As always, there are many things to be learned from the Word.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:16 pm

in the same boat, but I do have a son that brings me lots of joy.
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.