Can animals be evil?

For those deep thinkers out there.
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Can animals be evil?

Post by Nature of a Man » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:49 pm

So I was dreaming tonight, and recalled a childhood memory. Typically we think of animals as driven solely by instinct and incapable of human concepts such as "free will", but sometimes I wonder if animals have a degree of will or control over their actions.

One time, when I was young, I was with my parents at a local park, watching a group of ducks swimming in the pond nearby - suddenly, I saw a duck in pitch black feathers grab the neck of a white duck and attempt to drown it by dunking its head under water, however the flock of white ducks nearby saved it by chasing the black duck off. This memory stayed with me, and I still think of the black duck taking an "evil" and more destructive path in its comparably simpler live than ours, and a good metaphor for the destructive paths which many humans take in theirs.

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Re: Can animals be evil?

Post by Onyx » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:08 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:49 pm
So I was dreaming tonight, and recalled a childhood memory. Typically we think of animals as driven solely by instinct and incapable of human concepts such as "free will", but sometimes I wonder if animals have a degree of will or control over their actions.

One time, when I was young, I was with my parents at a local park, watching a group of ducks swimming in the pond nearby - suddenly, I saw a duck in pitch black feathers grab the neck of a white duck and attempt to drown it by dunking its head under water, however the flock of white ducks nearby saved it by chasing the black duck off. This memory stayed with me, and I still think of the black duck taking an "evil" and more destructive path in its comparably simpler live than ours, and a good metaphor for the destructive paths which many humans take in theirs.
This is freakin' gold.
The black duck. hee hee hee.

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:29 pm

lol, sorry if that freaked you out, but that was my honest thought at the time - I've never seen a duck be that profoundly destructive, so it honestly makes me wonder whether or not even animals have a small degree of 'free will' over their actions, and whether or not they can choose whether or not to take good or wicked paths in life. Definitely never seen a duck or any other animal go out of their way to mame or harm another one of their own kind (If I were Buddhist or Hindu, or something, I probably would have assumed the black duck was a murder reincarnated into a lower "caste" as punishment for their evils in their human life, lol).

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:47 pm

I read a great book - A Primate's Memoir, by Robert M. Sapolsky. He studied baboons over a long period of time, and wrote a hilarious account of his work. Although he never comes out and says it, the obvious reality through every page of observations about these baboons is that they are NO DIFFERENT from humans in any aspect of their treatment of each other, their factions, ambitions, scheming, some are selfish, some are altruistic, some are remorseless... Page after page I'd gasp at the realization that baboon society is the very same thing as human society. Especially when it comes to political leadership of the troop.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:45 am

I tell Mrs R I used this principle to land her.
She doesn't correct me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1zmfTr2d4c
I just love that old car smell™

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:17 am

Goats are.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:45 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:45 am
I tell Mrs R I used this principle to land her.
She doesn't correct me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1zmfTr2d4c
The Tick Farm is kinda like a bower, come to think of it.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

DAN
Mr. Miracle Whip
Mr. Miracle Whip

Post by DAN » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:11 am

Your cat is plotting to kill you.
If the American people ever really understand the Left, they'll boil them in oil.

If Mexican immigrants mostly voted Republican, Democrats would have already built a wall you could see from space.

"Democrats don’t care about black people, we’re just pawns in a game for them to gain political power for themselves.”"--Candace Owens

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:16 am

No.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:28 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:31 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSKQ3ZNQ_O8
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:25 pm

coco wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:17 am
Goats are.
Cat's too.

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:49 pm

coco wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:17 am
Goats are.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:57 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:16 am
No.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:18 pm

I don't know if they are evil, but they sure make a lot of people look like idiots

“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:50 am

Animals evil? No.
Animals act in a way that if a person acted the same way we would consider the person evil? Yes.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:14 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:50 am
Animals evil? No.
Animals act in a way that if a person acted the same way we would consider the person evil? Yes.
That’s pretty interesting. What if the animal is thinking basically the same thing as the person, with the same motivation as the person when he does it? Is it still not evil?

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:36 am

Onyx wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
Animals evil? No.
That’s pretty interesting. What if the animal is thinking basically the same thing as the person, with the same motivation as the person when he does it? Is it still not evil?
‘Evil’ requires a moral/spiritual component that animals lack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:55 am

Onyx wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:14 am
Sir Moose wrote:
Animals evil? No.
This is a good question. The problem is how do we figure out if the animal is actually thinking/motivated as a person in their theoretically evil act?

I recall reading a story about how a gang of chimps more or less ambushed and killed another chimp. All indicators pointed to this being premeditated. Placed in human society, that's seemingly an act of premeditated murder, not unlike what we see in human 'gangs'. But how do we figure out the chimp's motive, especially without falling into the temptation to anthropomorphize them?
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:29 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:55 am
Onyx wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:14 am
Sir Moose wrote:
Animals evil? No.
This is a good question. The problem is how do we figure out if the animal is actually thinking/motivated as a person in their theoretically evil act?

I recall reading a story about how a gang of chimps more or less ambushed and killed another chimp. All indicators pointed to this being premeditated. Placed in human society, that's seemingly an act of premeditated murder, not unlike what we see in human 'gangs'. But how do we figure out the chimp's motive, especially without falling into the temptation to anthropomorphize them?
Start as an atheistic Darwinist, and then anima-pomorphize humans.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk