Plea-bargaining

For those deep thinkers out there.
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Plea-bargaining

Post by Fainn » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:27 pm

Haven't we all done this when we really needed a miracle? G-d if you answer my prayers:
I'll tithe
I'll go to church every week
I'll sing in the choir
I'll volunteer for the next mission trip.

Yet the truth is that the only thing G-d accepts is the blood of Jesus and faith in that sacrifice. Been thinking a lot about this with my fingers.
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: Plea-bargaining

Post by Thunktank » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:38 pm

Jesus loves and wants your heart and all the faith and good through faith that you have too. That’s what Jesus blood bought for us.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:23 pm

So Jacob rose early in the morning, and he took the stone which he had put under his head and set it up for a pillar and poured oil on the top of it. He called the name of that place Bethel; but the name of the city was Luz at the first.

Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, so that I come again to my father’s house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God, and this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God’s house; and of all that thou givest me I will give the tenth to thee."

Genesis 28:18-22
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs

Post by Del » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:57 pm

Fainn wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:27 pm
Haven't we all done this when we really needed a miracle? G-d if you answer my prayers:
I'll tithe
I'll sing in the choir

Yet the truth is that the only thing G-d accepts is the blood of Jesus and faith in that sacrifice. Been thinking a lot about this with my fingers.

Jesus told us that we should petition God with prayer and fasting.

Fasting can take many forms, including offering our time or extra tithes to work for the Kingdom.

We owe to God our worship on His holy day, in any case.
=================================================

If you feel that God is calling you to make some act of devotion, then do not resist.
He may heal your fingers.... or He may help you to bear and to love the cross that He is giving you.

I will search for some sacrifices in my life to offer up for your healing. We can all add a little fasting.

St. Paul says that by offering up our own sufferings, we all participate in Christ's sacrifice.
Col 1:24 wrote:24 Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:23 pm

I will search for some sacrifices in my life to offer up for your healing. We can all add a little fasting.

St. Paul says that by offering up our own sufferings, we all participate in Christ's sacrifice.
Good idea.

Bear as best we can together with you. This is another kind of salvation, whether you keep your fingers or not.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

TNLawPiper
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:07 pm

God wants us to keep His commandments. He tells us so many times throughout Scripture.

He also makes it clear, however, that all of our obedience is but filthy rags without the cleansing blood of Christ.

Our debt is already paid. We should be obedient out of gratitude.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:20 am

And then there is what our friend C.S. Lewis wrote about "poor creatures poisoned, trying to drive a wretched machine" ...

“But if you are a poor creature--poisoned by a wretched up-bringing in some house full of vulgar jealousies and senseless quarrels--saddled, by no choice of your own, with some loathsome sexual perversion--nagged day in and day out by an inferiority complex that makes you snap at your best friends--do not despair. He knows all about it. You are one of the poor whom He blessed. He knows what a wretched machine you are trying to drive. Keep on. Do what you can. One day He will fling it on the scrap-heap and give you a new one. And then you may astonish us all - not least yourself.” ― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:53 am

Fainn wrote:
I'll tithe
I'll sing in the choir

Yes. We've all done it. Especially when we petition on behalf of loved ones, and double especially when it involves our children. We know intellectually, as many have written in this thread, that God doesn't want to extort us for some sort of deal. The Deal has been done. But still, when we're most vulnerable we'll offer whatever we have because, in moments of weakness, we think He'll do us a favor if we show that we have skin in the game.

As we mature in Christ we should strive to do this less often. We come to understand that our love and faith in Him is not a little thing. It's a big thing. A huge thing. It's everything and it's way more important than our tithe, or our work on a mission trip, or promise to quit smoking. But still, it's OK to continue with your pleading prayers when you're scared and alone in the foxhole at night. He get's it. He went through a scary night just like that and even He plead for relief. Yes, He gets it.

You're very bold and brave to share this with us Fainn. Thanks for honestly showing your struggle.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:20 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:53 am
Fainn wrote:
I'll tithe
I'll sing in the choir

Yes. We've all done it. Especially when we petition on behalf of loved ones, and double especially when it involves our children. We know intellectually, as many have written in this thread, that God doesn't want to extort us for some sort of deal. The Deal has been done. But still, when we're most vulnerable we'll offer whatever we have because, in moments of weakness, we think He'll do us a favor if we show that we have skin in the game.

As we mature in Christ we should strive to do this less often. We come to understand that our love and faith in Him is not a little thing. It's a big thing. A huge thing. It's everything and it's way more important than our tithe, or our work on a mission trip, or promise to quit smoking. But still, it's OK to continue with your pleading prayers when you're scared and alone in the foxhole at night. He get's it. He went through a scary night just like that and even He plead for relief. Yes, He gets it.

You're very bold and brave to share this with us Fainn. Thanks for honestly showing your struggle.
Well said. Very well said. And true. Thanks, Fred. I was blessed.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:10 pm

The preceding has been a Test of the National Emergency Broadcast System. Had this been an actual emergency, you would have been told where to go and what to do. The preceding has been a Test of the National Emergency Broadcast System.

The preceding has been a test of this life in crisis. Had this been an actual Life, you would have been told where to go and what to do. The preceding has been a test of this life in crisis.

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:30 pm

Hmmm.. Ok..maybe it's just me..

I've never thought myself important enough to make any "deals" with God.

I've never seen where God is a tit for tat kind of a God.

I will pray for and I have no problem asking others to pray for me and/or my children or anyone else.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Plea-bargaining

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:56 am

I believe the OT says don’t make promises to God that you may or may not be able to keep, petition him yes, follow Christ with your life and actions yes, fast sure, but let your yes be yes and no be no, you can not put conditions on Gods love and all you have to offer is filthy rags, but you offer it still and if it is your best, God accepts as a loving father, but again empty promises and oaths are warned against.

(This is a response to the original post, confessing, haven’t read the entire thread)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:59 am

Jocose wrote:Hmmm.. Ok..maybe it's just me..

I've never thought myself important enough to make any "deals" with God.

I've never seen where God is a tit for tat kind of a God.

I will pray for and I have no problem asking others to pray for me and/or my children or anyone else.
I used to do it as a child/teenager , but as an adult, you have summed up well my feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:37 pm

Culturally its a common thing to do with those from the "old country" but the key thing its not seen as "bribing" God but rather its an act of thanksgiving for what is realized as an undeserved blessing. Generally what is promised is above and beyond what would be considered what we should do as Christian i.e. going to church every Sunday. If promised you fulfill. My mother had a fig tree in the yard she dedicated the fruit to God for some unknown, where anything harvested from it she would deliver to the local priests to do as they saw fit (most had a bowl of it in their office to share with who ever went to seem them). Just one view of things.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:05 pm

To the OP, I'd be careful to make sure you're doing the "list of good things" you mentioned for a sincere reason, maybe taking a few minutes to think about the "why" behind your decision, beyond merely "wanting something out of it" or feeling like you "deserve" it.